Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would you rather...

Here's something about nothing, but I'm curious:

Would you rather build a lousy and expensive kit of a car you love, or a nicely-done, cheap kit of a car you hate?

Would paying $50 for that poorly-done '51 Nash and the subsequent struggle to wrestle it together be more enjoyable than a quick, easy, detailed build of yet another red '69 Camaro from a $10 "bargain bin"?

And, just so we all know where I stand, yes, I'd rather have the crappy kit of the car I like than a beautiful kit of a car I don't like!

I buy and build kits of models I want, regardless of who built it and the quality of the kit. I honestly pay no attention to the maker. I have many AMT kits which I can't get from any other mfr.: for example; the '57 Ford, which is really an atrocious kit as far as mold slippage. I love the kit anyway.

Guest Davkin

Niether.

I won't attempt to build a horrible kit at any price because I know it would turn out like a turd so what's the point? If I want it bad enough I'll scratchbuilt it first.

I won't build a model of a car I hate no matter how good it is, that's just a waste of time.

The reality is there have been at least several hundred adequate to very good model kits produced over the years of subjects I like so there's always plenty of material to work with without going to excesses of aggravation to acheive mediochre or poor results.

David

I build both.

Really good kits because they are good and fun to build, even when I have not as much interest in the subject (they often turn out the best). Kits or subject I have no interest in I don't touch.

But I will buy and build pretty much anything Porsche and a few other subjects that I have a fondness for.

In the middle, subjects that I am kind of luke warm on and the kits isn't so hot, I will pass.

Edited by CAL

I will build a kit as long as it's a vehicle that I think is cool. I am also pretty stiff on scales, some cars I won't build in 1/16 or 1/24....my main preference is 1/25. Some cars are only made 1/24 so I will build them anyways. If it's a large scale model, it has to have potential to please my eye and be fun or interesting.

Brands don't matter to me, but I build mostly AMT,SMP,MPC,REVELL and MONOGRAM on occassion. Trumpeter and Galaxie kits have also made their way into my stash happily!

Resin is another story....I will take a POS resin kit if it's the only one to get of that subject. I can make it better with some work. :)

I don't build models of cars I hate.

Definitely I'd build a lousy kit of a loved subject. Might not enjoy it as much as a better quality kit, but I build for subject matter that means something to me personally.

Me too! Some of my most enjoyable builds were those old axle-through-the-block, metal-clip-for-the-hood-hinge AMT 3 in 1 kits.

Me too! Some of my most enjoyable builds were those old axle-through-the-block, metal-clip-for-the-hood-hinge AMT 3 in 1 kits.

I love those...one thing the old AMT annuals with the axles and screws in the chassis, etc had going for them was that the bodies were usually very accurate, maybe since most were derived from promos. I don't care if it's a curbside or has a chassis w/ molded in details w/ screws--if the body is accurate, and it's a subject I like.

Edited by Rob Hall

Would you rather build a lousy and expensive kit of a car you love, or a nicely-done, cheap kit of a car you hate?

I'd rather build a well-done kit over a poorly-done kit, regardless of the subject matter. Quality, fit and finish trump subject matter every time for me.

WHY ASK WHY YOU MUST BE WAITING FOR GLUE TO DRY OR SOMETHING .THIS ONE JUST A LITTLE STRANGE . BUILD ONLY SOME THING I LIKE IS THE REAL ANSER.

Nope...

Actually, I'm was waiting for some crappy, slow-cure resin to set up. Close, but no cigar, sir!

Who builds a model of a subject they don't like? That's just weird.

Yes, it IS weird. My daughter and I were in "Big Lots", a clearance store in nearby Merced. (CA.) There was a gondola display of model car kits, prices slashed to $4.00 each. She asked me if I was interested in this great sale.

I told her, "No," as I wasn't planning any dioramas where I could use a model of my '55 F100 running over these Oriental front-wheel-drive jellybeans as I fantacise doing every time I fire it up...

The hatred I have for unibodied, front wheel drive, 4 & V6 tin cans is monumental.

Imagine, if you will: a world full of this type stuff, all the real cars gone...AaaGHH! It's happening!!!