Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/Model King 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente

Stevearado

On 3/6/2022 at 10:06 PM, M W Elky said:

The revell thunder bolt chassis fits with only small modifications 

While it fits well, the Gen 1 Fairlane shares absolutely zero structural compoments with the Gen  1 Falcon / Comet. In fact, they don't even really look similar.  If accuracy is your goal, the Moebius 65 Comet should be your first choice, followed by the AMT 67 Mustang / Shelby for a "chassis" donor.

Gen 1 Falcon Note the Horizontal A Frame bolts that utilize shims for camber adjustment. Gen 1 Fairlanes have vertical bolts that allow the A frame to slide back and forth. 

IMG_7650-vi.jpg

Gen 1 Fairlane Gen 1 Fairlanes have vertical bolts (accessed through the slots - you can see the fron slot in the photo) that allow the A frame to slide back and forth. 

P6240113-vi.jpg

The bottom of the underbody is just as dissimilar. I can tell you this, because I've owned several of each, and did all my own work, including suspension repair and engine swaps. 

• Like 1

As lightweight as the trumpeter falcons are in detail fidelity, they seem to be the only ones with an attempt at fair early shock towers; as compared to the moeb '65 comet engine compartment having been cobbed directly from the amt '66 fairlane/comet parts. 

P1018272_zpszuxxtyec.JPG.86895bb6a3154db6e5cac5ec49f2a961.JPG

21 hours ago, mk11 said:

As lightweight as the trumpeter falcons are in detail fidelity, they seem to be the only ones with an attempt at fair early shock towers; as compared to the moeb '65 comet engine compartment having been cobbed directly from the amt '66 fairlane/comet parts. 

P1018272_zpszuxxtyec.JPG.86895bb6a3154db6e5cac5ec49f2a961.JPG

I do have to agree with you there. As poor as the rest of the kit is, the shock towers and braces are really really good. I wish the rest of the car was that nice.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Casey said:

@Justin Portermentioned this in another topic, and @SteveGwas prophetic, urging patience a few months ago. 😊

AMT-1334 1/25 1964 Mercury Comet Craftsman Plus Series

3 hours ago, keyser said:

Did it say plus? Thought I saw that in other thread with Stevens list. That’d be great if they opened hood or at least tossed in some SS scoops.

'Bout time!

Since the MSRP that Stevens is listing matches the full detail kits, I would HOPE there's something revised or additional beyond the MK reissue.  But.....I wouldn't expect it.

The 1964 Galaxie is being marketed as "Craftsman Plus", and it's no different from previous releases.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, stavanzer said:

It will have fresh Tires, and Decals. If we are really lucky, Round2 will throwing something extra, but I would not count on it.

Everything above plus the trophy and the little dog have been restored.  Also, the pocketed holes for the mirrors and antenna will be revised to blind holes that can be opened from the underside.  Anything beyond that like an opening hood would have required a lot of expensive new tooling, I think that would be better spent on cloning something not previously re-issued.  

-Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks, Steve.

For those that want this kit, the new version will be great.  It would be great is Round2 would toss in a sprue from on of the newly tooled Garage kits as a Bonus, since this kit is a curbside, but that may very well be a bridge too far. As it is, it will be a nice kit.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:14 AM, Dave Darby said:

If accuracy (for shock towers) is your goal...

IMG_7650-vi.jpg

... you may want to check out the '66-'69 amt falcons as well.

DSCN0542.JPG.f401f917813092bdcc146347c730bc25.JPG

They were actually tooled with the early shock towers. I believe missing link had a resin copy of that engine compartment on offer at one time.

Hay Kevin! Got yer ears on ?  B)

Edited by mk11

On 4/8/2022 at 11:55 PM, mk11 said:

... you may want to check out the '66-'69 amt falcons as well.

DSCN0542.JPG.f401f917813092bdcc146347c730bc25.JPG

They were actually tooled with the early shock towers. I believe missing link had a resin copy of that engine compartment on offer at one time.

Hay Kevin! Got yer ears on ?  B)

I fully agree. In fact, they look more accurate for a gen 1 Falcon than they do for the 66-up. I suggested the Moebius kit for those who cant handle molded in suspension.

Edited by Dave Darby

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Is this still on schedule?

Repairs took longer than expected but I believe everything is now approved and it's in line for production.  With luck they might be ready to ship by the end of the month. 

-Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Glad to hear it! Will they be going to separate wheel covers and wheel backs with wire axles like the '63 Nova, or will we get the promo wheels and tires again? Hopefully this time with whitewalls, unlike the Model King release.

Another thought: Might have been a good idea to make grooves to thin down the plastic under the hood opening, to make it that much easier to cut out if you want...

6 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Glad to hear it! Will they be going to separate wheel covers and wheel backs with wire axles like the '63 Nova, or will we get the promo wheels and tires again? Hopefully this time with whitewalls, unlike the Model King release.

Another thought: Might have been a good idea to make grooves to thin down the plastic under the hood opening, to make it that much easier to cut out if you want...

I'd say the whitewalls are a possibility, but I wouldn't look for any other changes.

Even though I liked the last one I built. I want to do another one. I grew up with real Comets as a kid. Even though we didn’t have a ‘64, or a fancy version of the Comet like a Caliente. I remember my dad driving a friends new ‘64 Caliente two-door one afternoon, and both of us lusting over it. It beat the heck out of (in more ways than one) our “Plain Jane” ‘61 two-door sedan. Or even our fairly nice looking, later ‘67 Comet 202 two-door. (With the late season Sport Coupe package! But, still a six-cylinder.) So I will anyways have a soft spot for the ‘64 Comets. Especially the two-door Caliente hardtops. 

Edited by unclescott58