Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why exactly do you post?

First, I want to point out, even though the counter will change with my next post, that this is a milestone posting for me, it is official...the big bad 1,000 posts...and what better place to have it then on a thread questioning the very reasons why we post here at all!

It even came easier than A-Rods 600th Homerun...I mean, it came as I stepped into the batters box with 999 in the record books. Bang, it was over the wall.

Anyway, this really begs the questions..why do I choose to breath? Why do I eat? Why do I work? Why do I sleep? Why do I post? I do all of the above because I can. If this forum ceased to exist (I hope not) in the coming days, I would still build. I built cars before I found this forum so I will build whether it is here or not. The only difference would be that only my family and friends would ever see them.

Great question! I post because I like to get opinions and critiques on my stuff I'm building. I don't get offended if somebody doesn't like it or they pick out a flaw, it makes me look at it and try to correct it for next time.

As far as commenting on here, I like to see what other people are building and commend them for their work.

I post pics of my models because I like them and like to get feedback from other modelers.Most of my models have been well-received and the ones that were critiqued deserved the criticism.Very cool forum!

As stated above this is why I post. Being into HO scale not everyone can relate, so it's fun to see how people react to the amount of detail that can into them. I did 1/34-25th for many years, and just got burned out on the super detailing. That and having been building since the day's of the dinosaur's I just couldn't bring myself to pay the prices they get for the old kits I built many eons ago for $1.50-2.00.

I look forward to the feedback I get when I post, both positive, and negative, and look for new ideas from the comments given.

Junior

aka Mercman

I live in the sticks, so this is the closest I can come to a model club. It works great too, I learn a lot, occasionally get to teach something to someone and get to BS a lot about models and cars other stuff, you know, life, the universe and everything.

Really; where else can I clutter up bytes of valuable space with half-started and never finished builds, launch hairbrained ideas, pick others hairbrained (and sometimes even finished) ideas apart, and generally make a nuisance of myself all within the legal bounds of participation? I mean, c'mon.......if I can't do it in 1:1, I might as well not finish it in scale either! (and share the humiliation of my self-defeat with like-minded individuals) B)

As my signature says, I live on an island in Alaska, and there are no other modelers surfacing here yet. The forums are my communication with the modeling world. I'm not a very good modeler, but I still post my work, because it's the only way that I get to share it. I have made improvements over the years, and by showing this, others can take courage and show their work, and we get the enjoyment of watching their improvement.

I find it unfortunate that I take away more knowledge than I can give back, but then that's a testament to the quality of modelers that are on the forums, and their willingness to share. I feel it an honor to be able to comment on the work of others, and to know that my comments are important to them. There are some who are new to building, and to be able to offer them encouragement is important to me. Others may not be new, but are just discovering detailing. Some of their results might be humorous, but only because I can see myself; not that long ago. There are also masters on the forums, and just because their work blows everybody else away, doesn't mean that they too don't need some of our encouragement. One of the biggest reasons that I post, as well as most of the rest of the members, is simply to inspire others.

Mike, you say that you don't have anything worthwhile to post until you improve. I say post anyway. The real fun is to watch you improve, and to share that experience with you, as well as others in your circumstance.

I like to post my builds here as I dont get to many shows . I also get good ideas from the others here and have been able to help a few and few help me out also. Ihave learned alot here like the inaccurate Can Do wrecker which now all I need the right hood and cab. I have recieved good comments and not mant bad ones also where I could have gone more on something.But that is a way of learning.

Because I like to offer up wise@ss comments and be a funnyman! :lol::P

At least he's honest about it, folks! LOL. :lol:

I post because I like to be insulted by strangers. :lol:

Nice 'tude, dude. ph34r.gif

Really; where else can I clutter up bytes of valuable space with half-started and never finished builds, launch hairbrained ideas, pick others hairbrained (and sometimes even finished) ideas apart, and generally make a nuisance of myself all within the legal bounds of participation? I mean, c'mon.......if I can't do it in 1:1, I might as well not finish it in scale either! (and share the humiliation of my self-defeat with like-minded individuals) ;)

Soul mate. :P

Here is the reasons I post. I started doing models when I was a kid. I have been picked on and worse. Along the line I met a few other kids that make models. Frankly our kits were terrible but we enjoyed them. In my early to mid 20's I had about 200+ kits destroyed by someone mad at a friend and the guy thought they belonged to that friend. I was out of the scene for a long time after that. My friend started to build again and met Marty on here ( Tuffone20 ) and got me back into the hobby. I am now part of a club and realised right away I was in trouble since my cars still looked like when I a kid. I post to get feedback good and ( Not bad ) we will call it positive. I have taken HUGE steps in under a year and I want to help encourage others to do so as well. This place feels like a big family. Even though we are all on different levels of talent I strive to get better and post to thanks those that give me ideas and post to maybe help the ones just starting to let them know there is a middle ground.

I share in the hope it might inspire others. I dont think my stuff is all that good (but not actually bad) but hopefully someone can take an idea I've had and improve on it or solve a problem that they may not have an answer to. I also like to help people out where I can, if they've asked a question that I know "an" answer to just like I've been helped. Other than that the club I belong to meets once a month a two hour drive each way of me ( most of them a qtr of the distance at the most) so posting also gives me a chance to share and get feedback more than said once a month.

Some of you guys are very strange and some of you are really funny.

I post because there doesn't seem to be many shows down here and the forum gives me an opportunity to share my builds. Sometimes I'm able to share some of my knowledge with another builder and hopefully help them. So many of the posts and questions I've asked have helped me build better models.

I post comments because I figure that's what's expected. Why put a build out there if you ddon't get comments back? The only comments I get here are from my wife "How can a 62 year old man play with model cars every day?" (The easy answer is that I can).

Guest Johnny

Past few years were spent on1:1 cars and car sites until health and money isues brought that to an end. So started getting back into the model building and needed information and set out looking on line! Found this site through another site I will leave unnamed and stayed on! I have another tht is dedicated to NASCAR that I go to also!

But more than just the information and help but the friendship and hanging out with guys that share the same love of building models! I have tosay that as of now my est friends are right here on the model sites!smile.gif

The only comments I get here are from my wife "How can a 62 year old man play with model cars every day?" (The easy answer is that I can).

As a then-31-year-old, I got that a lot from my then girlfriend, although she came to think of it as "cute." That was her note of tolerance.

I post because it's fun and I get to learn things.

Charlie Larkin

I post for the benefits I get putting my builds in context, in the world of one of my obsessions, car modeling. It's impossible for me to do that with any frequency any other way. I also post for the camraderie that comes with sharing that obsession with fellow inmates, and for the comments and discussion that, with luck, might ensue.

I also post for the beer and for the girls...