Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 69 Camaro ProMod

stump

Thanks just purchased a set... very confused as to why these are not on the actual TDR website and on Shapeways.

Bart, you will not be disappointed my friend. ;)

And thanks for adding the link Joe. :) As Dave mentioned, Shapeways do the 3D printing for Tim @ TDR.

Based in the Netherlands, and quite a big business venture by all accounts. I have sent and received several emails with them, and they are only too willing

AND eager to help us modellers. They have purchased some newer, bigger printers to help cope with demand.

I sent pics of my Camaro to the guy I've been dealing with, and he offered to buy it. B) :lol:

Well, the last few days/nights have all been about the motor......

Started by deciding on where/how to run an oil system. Only basic, will run through a filter and on to a scavenge tank.

DSCF7829-vi.jpg

Basic oil pump....nothing to flashy. It will be tucked down low and be barely visible....

Sump bolted on, lines run and connected.....

Blue and red AN fittings detailed with Sharpies. (thanks Romell)

DSCF7836-vi.jpg

This took an amazing amount of time.....drilled and tapped the injector line holes.

I actually drilled 3 for each inlet, from reference, it appears they generally just use a single port. I added bolts to simulate 'block off' plugs.

DSCF7833-vi.jpg

The 'hat' is getting very (very) close....Will undercoat tomorrow and maybe add some black. Then some carbon decal..... :wacko:

DSCF7824-vi.jpg

Fuel shut-off valve/distribution block.

DSCF7826-vi.jpg

Hope to get a good bit more done tonight and tomorrow (public holiday) and get another update in for you's. :)

Stay tuned, and thanks for stickin' by. And don't forget to hurl any Q's you may have....

cheers guys

Greg

Looking good Greg, it looks like you have made some nice progress. I really like your 3port hat, I think I am going to build my own now because I don't quite like the one from Flashpoint. It is a little off center and I would have to drill out the holes anyway.

The line you are using looks like stuff from the Craft Section like at "Hobby Lobby". I know they have stuff that looks like that in Black already. Is this like what you are using possibly?

Looking good Greg, it looks like you have made some nice progress. I really like your 3port hat, I think I am going to build my own now because I don't quite like the one from Flashpoint. It is a little off center and I would have to drill out the holes anyway.

The line you are using looks like stuff from the Craft Section like at "Hobby Lobby". I know they have stuff that looks like that in Black already. Is this like what you are using possibly?

Thanks Joe and Bart. :)

Guys, to be honest, I can't recall where I got those lines. :( I think (?) they were Modellers from Japan. Had them so long the packaging has gone.

Really wish it was still available, but it's been discontinued for near on 10 years at a guess.... :unsure:

I got some Prestons car parts braid from Model Roundup last week, it arrived with my 1/12 Mustang. :) The braid looks very good and

most of my other lines will be run using that. It compress' and stretches quite well, so I'm hoping it will do the couple of sizes I need. ;)

Well, the motor building (parts) has gone pretty smoothly, aside from messing up a fuel return valve (blocked off with a bolt, CA'd in place. :rolleyes: )

I quickly made a new one, but still need to paint it up.

Main fuel valve

DSCF7846-vi.jpg

I made an angle bracket from flattened aluminium tube to secure it to the hat.

DSCF7849-vi.jpg

DSCF7844-vi.jpg

Adaptor plate for mounting the hat. Fuel block added to it as well.

DSCF7851-vi.jpg

NEW return valve on the left.

DSCF7855-vi.jpg

Continues......

Got time to shoot some colour on the fuel pump.

Base coat of Tamiya Silver, followed by a coat of Mr. Colour clear red.

DSCF7852-vi.jpg

DSCF7854-vi.jpg

Now.....this next part I was not real sure on. If anyone can help, it would be great... :unsure:

I've really struggled to find reference for where the lower distribution block SHOULD mount.....??

A lot of cars appear to feed from the top block only, but I have several photos showing lines which definitely exit from a low position... :wacko:

I mounted mine on the rear of the blower manifold. I'm pretending I used a downward deflector on my burst panel. :lol:

DSCF7864-vi.jpg

In between waiting on glue and paint to set up, I got started on a fuel/oil cell.

It's only very rough at the moment, sorry.....

DSCF7865-vi.jpg

DSCF7866-vi.jpg

Continues......

Now.....I'm asking for a little help here.... :wacko:

MOST hats these days are made from Carbon, yes.?

Is there anything wrong with painting carbon??

'Cause I really like how it looks in gloss black. :D :lol: And I don't know that I have the feel for applying a bucket load of carbon decal......

DSCF7856-vi.jpg

DSCF7858-vi.jpg

Another light rub back, another coat of black and then a good coating of clear will finish this puppy up in my book. :P ;)

What's your thoughts guys ?

Back with some more before too long guys, and thanks for sticking around. :)

cheers

Greg

Greg you are blowing me away with this build. Man it sure is nice mate :D . The detail on that engine is just fantastic and it looks great. I say if you like the way the injector hat looks with just black, you should leave it. It looks sweet that way and I would think there is nothing wrong with painting carbon. I can't wait to see more of that chassis and the fuel tank. Keep up the great work. Cheers!! B)

Hey, thanks Chris. :) I'm gaining heaps of inspiration and enthusiasm from all you guys here. ;) :)

Yeah, the more I look at the hat "as is"....it's really growing on me. :D

So much so, that I just had to see how it would all look, once set up.....So, here's what I got.......

NEW fuel return valve installed first.

DSCF7872-vi.jpg

Then it was time to get serious....Valve mounted, hat bolted on......lets see how this goes........

Oh...testing a butterfly too....took a few attempts to get them to fit neatly, and not bind up when turned.....

DSCF7876-vi.jpg

DSCF7878-vi.jpg

DSCF7877-vi.jpg

DSCF7879-vi.jpg

I still need to make a start on the linkage for the hat, so that will probably be next up.....

Give the hat a good week (of fine weather.. :rolleyes: ) to cure a bit, then I'll hit it again with black and clearcoat.

As it sits, I'm pretty pleased with the results, tho the idea of doing carbon is out there, I fear I would mess it up.... :unsure: So black it is.

Stay tuned guys, I hope to get a couple of decent nights work this week, plus we're now on daylight saving, giving me that extra hour of an afternoon. :)

Thanks again for stickin' by guys

Greg

Ahhh Greg, it is SOOOOO nice to see you back at it! I've missed seein how you figure out stuff! It's lookin GREAT so far bro, but DO NOT think I've forgotten the lil Z car. REALLY glad ta see you gettin on so well with the Camaro, but I sure would like to see that lil Dat sittin next to it! GREAT job so far Daddy-O! :D:);)

George, Chris, Derrick, Bart, Randy and Dave, thanks for all the positives guys. :D It's a good feeling having this so warmly accepted. :wub:

George, yes.....really need to get my rear into gear and step back on that baby... :unsure:

Hey, I might make the Datto a tow car for this, huh.. ;) Darn, need to scratch up a trailer next...... :lol:

Bart and Chris, if you guys gain some benefit from this, I feel very humbled, as I'm being lead by the best bunch of model craftsmen I've ever met.....right here. ;)

Dave, you got mail. :P :)

Started running the lower fuel lines (to manifold base) last night, but I'm thinking of changing the hardware I'm using.....just don't look right. :wacko:

Will try and get an update in over the next few nights guys.

Cheers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a little late, and not a whole lot to show for my time away....but it's progress. :)

A new order went out to Rob @ RBMotion a few nights back, so a truckload of new fittings and hardware are on their way..

80% of these fittings will tidy up the small fuel lines I've been messing with. Everything I tried just looked odd, or didn't appear to look right. :unsure:

A good bit of time has been re-directed towards the chassis again.

I remember reading (in another thread) that, "if you feel it don't look right, or you're not sure things will line up, RE-DO it !" Or words to that effect. ;)

A good friend from here @ MCM has pointed my nose in the right direction on more than one occasion.

So, taking the advise above, I set about dismantling most of my chassis.

I've known for a good while, that things were just not so.....kept putting the idea behind me, hoping it would all pan out in the end......Nope, no way......(shakes head....)

To give you a "glimpse"...the front uprights (door posts, beside the driver's feet) were about 12mm too far forward. :(

The tops of these posts is where the roof bars come down the A-pillars and join.

EVERYTHING between and behind (centre chassis X braces, inner top tranny bars, the engine plate loop, and all associated bar work) ALL, had to come out, and move back 12mm. :( :unsure:

I still don't have pics yet, as what I currently have sitting on the bench, is not exactly to my liking either.....

The new top rails (front part of chassis) are now interfering with motor placement. :angry: More on that later.......

Ok, to brighten things up, and to take my mind off things, I've done some fuel related work....

These few pics don't show the hours involved unfortunately, as they have numbered quite high.... :lol:

In any case, I made a new fuel outlet, from main distribution block/barrel valve, leading to a "T", splitting to rear upper and lower fuel blocks.

Combination of RBMotion fittings (.078inch-secondary and .104inch-main) and braid from several sources.

DSCF7891-vi.jpg

Also added some hardware to the fuel pump. Again, fittings (these are also .078inch) from Robert.

The fuel return collector is just small diameter plastic tube (2.5mm) with 1/16th aluminium tube x 3 tapped into place.

I made the fuel shut-off from a piece of scrap, and modified one of Roberts banjo fittings to suit. :)

DSCF7882-vi.jpg

DSCF7887-vi.jpg

I know there's not much here for you's, but it has taken considerable effort to get this far. :lol:

With some luck, I'll update some chassis pics later on in the week for you.

Stay tuned, and thanks for hangin' in guys.

Greg

looks great greg!!! i do realize the considerable effort to get this far. scratch building at these levels is painstakingly slow. the fuel pump, barrel valve and the associated fuel line accessories look phenomenal. the effort you are putting forth to make it right / correct will pay off in the end. keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much Dave, Bill Chris and Darryl. :)

:D Yeah, I keep reminding myself how much quicker it could be IF everything was available from kit sources..... :lol: Then, in my case, it probably wouldn't be any quicker... :lol:

Well, the chassis hasn't progressed enough to bore you with pics or too many details as yet..... :(

So my time has been channelled once more to motor related work.

I had been avoiding this next part, mainly because I wasn't real sure how I was going to do it..... :unsure:

Several ideas had rolled thru my head, but none of them stuck.....................

After going over countless pics looking for ideas, this is what I come up with.

The first attempt was a solid (with art-work cut into it) piece of aluminium sheet. Curved to suit, but then I struck a rock trying to mount it....

Second attempt below........ :)

DSCF7895-vi.jpg

Even this idea took 3 goes to yield something I thought was going to be satisfactory.......

DSCF7899-vi.jpg

End result....................

DSCF7903-vi.jpg

DSCF7906-vi.jpg

DSCF7908-vi.jpg

Continues......