Model Cars Magazine Forum

what ebay really means

1. Description means nothing. So long at the parts inside the box look unbuilt I will list the item as new even if the shrink wrap has been removed and the box used for dart practice. Sometimes also I will list a kit as new that the is missing the decals or instruction sheet but is unbuilt.

2. I bought this at an estate and know nothing about models really means when you check my history I have listed hundreds of models and I have bought models too. In reality I list knowing nothing about models on kits I know are missing pieces but only small parts that are hard to check.

3. Looks to be complete really means the only parts in the box are body windows tires wheels and most of the engine. All the other parts don't really matter.

4. Great condition when listed with a single built up really means glue bombed mess that I built when I was 2 1/2. Also means over priced.

5. RARE (typed exactly like that) really means their are 57 other listings for the same model on ebay and mine is the most expensive.

6. Vintage really means reissue from 2008.

7. Hard to find really means you can go to any hobby shop and find it on the shelf new. Also means overpriced.

8. Selling my husbands models and know nothing about them really means I am charging way more than they are worth because I had to put up with them in my house for the last 10 years. Also means incomplete when listed with #3.

9. Last time listing really means I have listed this kit at hundreds over retail 26 times and am tired of listing it. Also means I will wait an extra 10 days to relist the item instead of relisting immediately. Also means if you buy this you are paying to much.

10. Sorry the photos are blurry my camera screwed up really means I am lazy. Also means I am trying to hide something. Can also mean my baby threw up in the box, then my dog ate half the box and parts inside and then my wife threw it out. Which means I had to pick it out of the trash just to list it.

I could keep going but I will leave more up to you guys. Some of this is just a joke bu their is also a lot of truth to this.

Thats true that's another reason they call it evil bay.

I bought a Black Magic Peterbilt that had been started,mainly because I could'nt find the decal's or

anyone that sells the decals.

The seller assured me the decals were there and in good shape.

Well after a lot of e-mails I finaly got the decals.

At first it was only a half built Peterbilt.

I have a model I'm waiting on now.

When I bought it I had to waite 3 days before I could pay for it.

I even let the seller know that. No responce from him.

He still has not shipped it,some of them try to waite for feedback first before shipping.

Not a good idea.

Aahhhhh, my favorite topics!!!

Don't forget: Pro Built!!!!

I have to laugh at some of the listings there.

What gets me is some guy is selling parts out of kits, for like $15!!!!

And you can still get the whole kit!

I don't get it....

I know, I know, the sucker and sixty second births, I know.....

Okay, I pau...

I can't wait to see this one.

Maybe we can run a full definition in one final post? or print in the mag for April?

Aahhhhh, my favorite topics!!!

I have to laugh at some of the listings there.

What gets me is some guy is selling parts out of kits, for like $15!!!!

And you can still get the whole kit!

I don't get it....

I know, I know, the sucker and sixty second births, I know.....

Okay, I pau...

I can't wait to see this one.

Maybe we can run a full definition in one final post? or print in the mag for April?

I actually forgot about "Pro built". I ignore those before I even click to see the description.

I think it would be hilarious to see in the mag.

That's the ones I REALLY roll on the floor laughing my rear end off at!!! I don't want your built model, and some I've seen I could build better myself!

Robert, you also hit on two of my other favorites, the "RARE" and "VINTAGE" kits I can go to the hobby shop and buy for 1/10 the price! I REALLY laugh myself to tears when I see those!! B):lol: Geez, maybe I can sell my "Rare Vintage" Lindberg Crown Vic Police Cars I bought at Ollie's for $7.99 for $50 a piece!! :lol::lol::blink::huh::o:lol:

A variation of #8 is Wife (fiancee/girlfriend/mother/aunt/cousin/personal finances) are forcing me to sell my collection. This means my collection is going on eBay for 7-10x what it's really worth, just so I can tell my (see above) that I TRIED to sell my models, but no one would buy them, when in reality I had no intention of selling anything I just wanted (see above) the shut up and leave me alone.

11. Will display nicely means yeah, in a scrapyard diorama.

12. A great addition to any collection. Errr... my friend Alfie's collection of nose hair trimmers perhaps?

13. Box has shelf wear means the shelf collapsed onto it.

14. From a smoke and pet free home really means they flogged the chihuahua to buy more LSD.

15. From a smoke and pet free environment really means it was stored in a barn infested with wild rodents.

16. A few parts are lose but can easily be re-glued really means the axle hubs have broken off right where they enter the wheels.

17. A few parts are off the trees really means they are missing.

18. Most parts are off the trees really means the kit became granulate again, like it was before the moulding process.

19. Unbuilt original really means that at least the paint has been soaked off.

20. Mint, boxed really means they put parts from a reissue into an original box.

There are so many annoying listings on eBay that I often get frustrated and quit looking. As Gregg mentioned, those sellers who open up a kit and list the different parts separately really bother me. I hate browsing through 20 listings of some jerks individual parts trees or bumpers or ...of a common kit.

"Rare" - yes, you need to tell me a kit is rare as I have no clue what i am bidding on, so thank you for letting me know.

Shipping times is another issue with sellers. I have purchased kits that people have waited two weeks to ship - why list something at a certain time if you know you aren't going to ship it immediately? One bad/good experience here though. A seller gave his wife (they were "having trouble") the box of kits to mail. Two days later, he found the box in her trunk. She said she would mail it. Again, he found it a couple days later. The seller felt so bad, he threw in another brand new complete kit and wheel set and mailed it out. Annoying for the wait, but nice he compensated for his error!

There are good sellers too - I consider myself one - but the bad and annoying ones are those we remember.

It's the same with buyers. In the last two years selling around 600 kits, I can remember mainly those buyers who want special treatment, aren't happy because they didn't read the entire description, or blame the me for the Post Office's shipping rates. I have actually been in a couple arguments with buyers about shipping charges - even when I give them information about weight and departing zip code so they can check the rates themselves.

Edited by Coyotehybrids

Ya Greg, I think I know the guy you are talking about with the over priced parts. I want to build my 29 Ford pickup roadster stock so I went on e-bay to check for stock wheels. This guy had the wheels and tires at $14.99 plus $5.00 shipping. Needless to say, I bought a whole 29 roadster kit for $15.74 including priority shipping with tracking. The other good one was the early 60's kit still sealed- in shrink wrap.

What I find funny is how many people blame "evilbay" instead of putting the blame where it belongs... on the seller! Ebay doesn't write the listings, it only provides the opportunity for buyer and seller to get together. If someone is trying to rip people off, that's on the person doing the ripping off, not on ebay. That's what the feedback system is there for, to weed out the bad guys.

It's like blaming the newspaper when a car is listed in an ad that makes the car sound better than it really is. Is that the newspaper's fault? Is the newspaper supposed to go to the house of every guy who places an ad in the paper and check the car out before they run the ad??? :(

Same deal with ebay.

This is a very interesting thread! ;) I just got the deal of the year on eBay as I won the other day, the Modeler's Chaparral 2D racer. I had one on my watch page that was going for $135--------saw another one over the weekend and snagged it for $56 plus $7 S&H. :lol:

Needless to say I'm quite happy, as that's been kind of a grail for me for a while. Except for what I won over the weekend, I don't fool with eBay as much as I used to. That was the first thing I won on eBay in many months!

#2 always kills me as that's their "out" just in case there's a SNAFU on their part! I also stay away from auctions that have a mile long disclaimer before they give a description on what they're selling! To me, that's someone looking for trouble if they start an auction like that.

Use to be eBay was a real cool place to go to find those special items-------------but as time wore on and computers got cheaper and cheaper, now any 'ol body can jump on and sell something and not be too intelligent about it.

Forgive me if that sounds harsh, but I've always figured as technology got down to the level of those with not so smart I.Q's..........this is the sort of nonsense you'll get.

..............And it's not just with eBay, it's everywhere on the 'net these days. :(

I stopped trading on E bay altogether. As a buyer, I know better sources, and for a private seller, it became such a legal minefield, that it is no longer feasible. Add to this the recent fee hikes and the insane shipping costs to overseas destinations. OK, the latter aren't E bay's fault at all, but the general dumbing down of mankind makes it believe so, or even worse, that it is the seller's fault and the seller = E bay in their view. If a 40 year old kit isn't delivered the next day you get bad feedback. What a bunch of utter rubbish.

Nah. I've had it with E bay. What finally pushed me over the edge is that some complete dimwit reported one of my listings and E bay promptly removed it. It was a vintage (SIC) bicycle rear hub for a 10 speeder. Before, I listed a fixed one. When done, I used the 'sell a similar item' button and continued, changed the item description, but forgot to remove the term 'fixie'. Instead of letting me know of my mistake so I could correct it, they nixed the listing but lined their bulging pockets with the listing fee.

I've picked up a few things on Ebay over the years, never had any issues. One thing though, I despise the seller who sets the listing to automatically bid more than you each and every time you bid. If you have a reserve, announce the fact there is a reserve.

G

How does that work?

I don't think it auto bids anymore (in relation to reserve price). It used to work like this.

Buyer sets reserve at 100

Bidder bids 50

Listing then says - $50 reserve not met you are the highest bidder.

What's the point in being the highest bidder if the reserve is higher. Reserve prices are stupid and annoying. As has been said if you want a certain price list it at that price.

#13 Reserve price means item is five times higher than any reasonable price. Usually in the triple digit range.

I've bought over 1000 items on eBay over the last 14 years...maybe 250 old models, some promos, lots of diecast, Japanese models from sellers in Japan and Hong Kong, etc. Only had a handful of transactions go bad. As the internet flea market, there is a bit of everything on there...I even bought a driver's seat and seat track for my 1:1 Jeep on eBay a couple years ago and had it FedExed to me...

The key to successful buying, IMO, is to check the seller's feedback, their ratings, how long theyv'e been on eBay, etc. I've bought from some sellers many times over the years without a problem..

Ebay means...caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.

I've had over 700 Ebay transactions in 10+ years. Only a handful of times can I say I got "burned" or made a bad deal, but I never blamed it on the seller. Since I primarily purchase vintage builders, it is often difficult to assess the condition of the model by the pictures and the seller's description. The AMT 1964 Falcon I am currently restoring was a success. Paint stripped with no problems. Glass and chrome not glued to the body. Other parts lightly glued. I've bought a few that were lacquer crazed, undetectable in the pictures. Bought many that were truly "glue bombs". Paid $70+ for a sealed MPC 1974 Dodge Challenger annual that had this inside.

DSCN0580-vi.jpg

This wasn't the seller's fault, just one of the risks in purchasing sealed, vintage kits.

Have I overpaid for stuff? Sure, we all have. Easy to get caught up in the "auction" thinking that this is the last one and I have to have it! Regardless of how rare a model is, another one will show up in due time. I've paid lots of money for what turned out to be junk and have found bargains on rare gems.

Like I opened this post, caveat emptor...let the buyer beware. :D

The key to successful buying, IMO, is to check the seller's feedback, their ratings, how long theyv'e been on eBay, etc. I've bought from some sellers many times over the years without a problem..

I've seen most of the issues raised here, but the advice I quoted has always worked for me as well. There are some shady people on ebay but they are fairly easy to spot.

Rare is one of my favorites. There was a guy for a while who was listing kits I could find stacks of at Micheals as rare with prices 4-5x retail. PT Barnum would have loved ebay.

I've picked up a few things on Ebay over the years, never had any issues. One thing though, I despise the seller who sets the listing to automatically bid more than you each and every time you bid. If you have a reserve, announce the fact there is a reserve.

G

The seller can bid against the buyer? Please explain.