Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you shop online?

Do you shop online?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you shop for kits and/or hobby supplies online?

• Yes, all the time! You can't beat the convenience.
    • I do occasionally, but only if I can't find what I want at the LHS, I look there first.
    • I never have, I prefer a "bricks and mortar" store, but I may try it in the future.
    • There's no way I'd EVER shop online!

Local shops are always my first stop- I'm fortunate enough to live within a few miles of two fairly well stocked hobby shops, and a few 'five and dime' type stores that sell models. I can usually save quite a bit that way- the kit may be the same or a couple bucks more in price, but I'm not paying shipping (though I am paying sales tax) and the amount of fuel burned to get to the closest shop (which usually has what I want anyway) is negligible. So, I'm an 'occasional' online buyer.

Edited by Chuck Most

I wish we had a local model shop, but the nearest on is the other side of Solihull, and to be honest they just don't make you feel welcome, pretty strange but other people I know feel the same way, we have a decent model shop in Birmingham, but they basically sell kits, diecast, but no detail stuff, so I really have no other choice but to shop online.

If I had to depend on local shops....I would be into RC or dollhouses no detail parts, just kits..like Michaels. :rolleyes:

If I lived near Atlanta /Buford I would live at the local shops, like Trainmasters, or Hobby Town(got my last MCM there!) :):wub:

So I play the internet...savings are great, along with the stock...However I hate to wait.

The quickest service has always been from Dennis @Model Express...2 or 3 days max....Washington state to Florida :DB)

Guest Markus355

for what i want to buy kit wise and for nearly all aftermarket needs, online is the only place to buy.

i use my LHS for basic supplies like paint and Evergreen and that's about it.

bingo

Guest Johnny

We have Michaels and Hobby Lobby and that is it! If I want any other hobby shop I have to drive 30+ minutes to find one.

So online I go!

I tried for the longest time to stay off the internet in terms of buying things but just recently I have started to buy online more. I still shop at the local stores as much as I can though. It's only when I can't get something at the LHS that I go online.

Implicit in some of the responses above is an "in-between" position between "preferring on-line" and "preferring my LHS" as outlined in the first two choices above. I happen to have two excellent LHS's, although neither is very near me (the one that was near me. which was very good, too, just closed down :lol: ). It took some thought as to which choice I would make. I finally opted for #2 (I do occasionally, but only if I can't find what I want at the LHS, I look there first.), since I would rather support my LHS's if I can, but the fact of the matter is I shop on-line more than occasionally, since I'm into aftermarket stuff and discontinued models, and most LHS's don't carry those sorts of things. I'd say I'm pretty close to 50/50, but I didn't want to have my vote look like I ignore my LHS's, because I absolutely don't.

Edited by Bernard Kron

I'm an in-betweener too. It's a bit of a drive to a real hobby shop near me, more traffic than distance. Michaels is the closest and all I really buy there is kits with a 40-50% off coupon or little things.

If I need something right away, I'll tough it out and go to the hobby shop. But if I need/want stuff that I know I can get for a better price, and can wait for it to be shipped, I'll look online first.

Implicit in some of the responses above is an "in-between" position between "preferring on-line" and "preferring my LHS" as outlined in the first two choices above. I happen to have two excellent LHS's, although neither is very near me (the one that was near me. which was very good, too, just closed down B) ). It took some thought as to which choice I would make. I finally opted for #2 (I do occasionally, but only if I can't find what I want at the LHS, I look there first.), since I would rather support my LHS's if I can, but the fact of the matter is I shop on-line more than occasionally, since I'm into aftermarket stuff and discontinued models, and most LHS's don't carry those sorts of things. I'd say I'm pretty close to 50/50, but I didn't want to have my vote look like I ignore my LHS's, because I absolutely don't.

I second Bernie's comments ... with a reservation. Specifically, I shop LHS and auto body shop supply house for paint supplies; online for aftermarket/photoetch and resin I can't live without but cannot get otherwise; and exclusively buy kits from two local 'plastic pushers' or emodelcars or ebbbbbbbb ... you know, or at the periodic local swap meets.

I do not buy kits from LHS because all of them around here are selling kits at MSRP or well above market price. My plastic pushers buy directly from a distributor and offer fantastic 'friend' prices. What I can't get that way, I don't need.

So, I think I fall in between 1 & 2 also.

I'm lucky that I have 4 hobby shops that I can go to for paints and some kits. I shop online for kits and tools from Japan and also from some US online shops, Model Roundup is my favourite. If I could have paints shipped to Canada I'd order them online as well.

I spread it around as best I can. I will shop online for those items that cannot be bought locally. I am lucky in that I travel throughout the Carolinas and Virginia for work so I have found some decent LHS and Hobbytown USA locations that can feed my need for plastic. Sometimes I end up paying more than I would online but instant gratification is a powerful thing.

I have used only a few online retailers and like others have stated, it is primarily for those items that I can't get in person. Hobby Lobby is great if you have a coupon and need to stock up on certain kits or luck upon some closeout deals. Like using them for paint and knives too and when they have display cases at 50% off, I load up!

Online for me, my "local" hobby shop is 100 miles away and it is only good for basics. I have to go about 200 miles for an actual good hobby shop.

For my supplies I have to drive 120+ miles to ther hobby shop. So when i go I make sure i get extra stuff just incase i need it. Buy most of my models at Hobby Lobby . But really haven't bought any the last couple years. Always buy a few every year at the swapmeet and contest i do every year. If i really need anything and know i can't get to the hobby shop i will buy online.

Well, I voted for "Yes, all the time! You can't beat the convenience."

That's just because I've been buying my latest model kits from online. All of them. That's just because they are usually cheaper when you buy online, it doesn't matter if there comes shipping to pay too. They are still cheaper (or the same price). My closest Hobby Shop is about 30 minutes drive, but it gets closed 5pm and I must be really hurry to get there before that. Also, fuel is expensive and Jeep, Buick and Chevy need lots of it. :D. Also there are rarely model car shows here on the summer time, so I can't buy kits there.

As in the other poll, I am forced to do most of my shopping online now. The nearest recently dead hobby shop to me was eighty miles away. unfortunately it's the internet shopping that has killed the LHS. ;)

The better LHS offer internet as well....So they can compete