Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gunze Sangyo Austin Healey Sprite MK1

GeeBee

I bought this as a part built kit,the main chassis had been built, all the chrome parts had been stripped of there shiney stuff, and the bodyshell had been painted in a dark green.

I popped the bodyshell and a few other parts that had been painted into a plastic tub and given a good coating of Fairy Power spray, and then another which I left on overnight, cleaned it off the next day, this is the first time I had tried this way of stripping off paint, but it certainly the best, and there's no smell to it.

Body%20stripped.JPG

I'm going to painting in BMC Iris Blue with a dark blue interior

I was thinking over the weekend how to fit the windshield frame to the body after it had been painted, and looking at it, I wasn't happy to just hold it on with a few dabs of epoxy, and as the real thing is held in place by 2 screws each side, I have tried to replicate that by drilling small holes and using cut down brass pins, these will be painted in Alclad along with the frame, also as all the chrome parts had previously been stripped of there shiney stuff, I thought it would be easier to fix them to the body before painted, as they can be pick out using BMF afterwards, they were tricky to fit before, so how tricky they would have been afterwards without getting glue onto the bodyshell I really don't know.

100_3148.JPG

100_3152.JPG

100_3149.JPG

Did a bit of sorting out parts and getting them primered, I will sort them into parts to be painted black, bodycolour and Alclad.

parts%20primered%20(1).JPG

I was going to say "my eyes are bugging out watching this one", but now I guess "eyes frogging out" doesn't sound right. :D

This is looking good ... little touches like the windshield will make this simple lit stand out.

I LOVE these little cars as I once owned its younger cousin------------a '72 MG Midget with the round rear wheelwells and wire wheels. Only thing about it was that it was probably one of the most troublesome cars I've ever owned before or since then.

But when the carbs were in sync, and the electrics behaved themselves------it was a BLAST to drive!

Now this was many years ago (mid '80's) and before I got too big to get in one in later years-------but would probably have no trouble getting in one now. :o

Keep us posted.............this'll be a fun one to watch! ;)

Ordered the paint from paint4u yesterday afternoon, great service as usual, as it arrived first thing this morning, so I thought I had better get the body into top coat, I also did the interior panels and the headlamp bowls,

body%20painted%20(1).JPG

body%20painted%20(2).JPG

This is looking really good! Your talents are amazing, when watching your finished builds. I like the job, you've done with the windshield frame. Color looks very good too, keep it going, I can't wait to see more work of it.

Did a little work on the dashboard today, I had airbrushed it satin black, today I covered the dial rims in BMF, then gave the dash another coat of satin black, I let it to dry out for a few min's, then I got some cotton buds dampened in lacquer thinners, which uncovered the BMF underneath.

dash%20painted%20and%20dials%20chromed.JPG

I'm curious why you didn't attach the headlight buckets before paint........ but I'm sure you have a good reason?

Beautiful paint, by the way.

Tony

Simply, the paint needs to be polished out, and it will be easier to do without the headlamp pods in the way.

Well got a bit more done today, bit of a mistake really painting the dash black, as it needed to be done dark blue to match the interior, Iris blue Sprites were only available with a blue interior, so it had to re-painted, also the seats got the same treatment, and the interior tub got masked off and painted dark blue, the dash has already had a coat of satin varnish, the seats will get a coat as well, but I will leave the carpets matt, as they don't really have a shine like the seats and dash would, as these would have been vinyl trim on the real thing.

100_3190-vi.jpg

Interiorinblue3-vi.jpg

Interiorinblue1-vi.jpg

Got the bodyshell polished out today, and I fitted the handbrake and gearlever to the interior tub, the bodyshell polished using Minicraft drill fitted with a wool mop, I used Poorboys SSR2 polishing compound, followed by a coat of meguires Crystal Clear wax applied by hand.

Body%20polished%20(3).JPG

Body%20polished.JPG

Interior%20with%20gearlever-handbrake%20fitted.JPG

Very nice to see one of these cars being built. I look forward to seeing it finished. I built one in yellow a yew years back and found another kit earlier this year to put away for a second build in the future.

Sure wish Gunze would reissue all the kits in this series of English sports cars, except for the rubber like interiors they are quite accurate and a real blast to build.

rob

Sure wish Gunze would reissue all the kits in this series of English sports cars, except for the rubber like interiors they are quite accurate and a real blast to build.

Yes, this is the first time I have built one of there kits, I did have a few Gunze kits in my stash many years ago, I was a bit put off by the rubbery seats and side panels, but they painted up o.k, I've just got hold of there Lotus Elan kit, which still has the rubbery parts ....

Edited by GeeBee

Not a lot done today, but I thought I would get the chassis finished, when I got the kit, the exhaust had already been glued into place, I didn't want to risk damaging it by trying to remove it, so it stayed in place while it got it's coat of satin black, it was a bit tricky to mask up and paint satin aluminium, but turned out o.k, this kit doesn't have any engine detail, but it does have the sump molded into the chassis, so that was also masked up and airbrushed green.

Chassisfinished-vi.jpg