Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Olds Dirt Tracker

curt raitz

Picked up this model from the LHS here in Hollister

It's a Jimmy Flintstone one-off resin kit...

I was not able to find any refence or photos of a 1929 Olds Dirt Track racer anywhere,

but my buddy Bernard Kron led me to a website with numerous photos of dirt track racers

from long ago.Sorry, I don't have the link to the site,

got a new PC and lost the link on the change-over...

maybe Bernard will reply to this thread list it.

Used parts from the AMT #626 Model T "3in1" kit

29oldsdirttracker_g-vi.jpg

First thing I had to do was make up some nice wire wheels instead of the wooden spoked ones in the Model T kit...

stole the wheels from a 2nd Model T kit, so i'd have enough to do 4 wheels

29oldsdirttracker_a-vi.jpg

Made a wire wheel jig for a 48 spoke wheel (used the idea from a previous thread on the forum),

cut the spokes from rims, shaved rims in half,

scratch built hubs and started lacing both rear spokes and then front spokes with 4lb test fishing line...

29oldsdirttracker_c-vi.jpg

centered rear rim on base,

superglued top surface of rear rim then carefully pressed front rim onto the rear rim

sandwhiching the spokes between both rims...

when glue set, ran a bead of superglue around the perimeter to further seal the spokes in place

end result:

29oldsdirttracker_e-vi.jpg

As most photos of the cars showed open engine side panels, i trimmed the lower hood panels from body...

leaving the cast leather straps in place

29oldsdirttracker_h-vi.jpg

Modifyed the Model T chassis to fit the Olds Body...

29oldsdirttracker_i-vi.jpg

chassis/engine and drivetrain done...

29oldsdirttracker_j-vi.jpg

Model Complete...

29oldsdirttracker_l-vi.jpg

29oldsdirttracker_m-vi.jpg

29oldsdirttracker_n-vi.jpg

thanx for lookin'

Wow - great and unusual build!

Like others have pointed out, the wheels are extraordinary - where can I find more info on how they're done? I'm building a 1/9 scale bicycle and this might be just what it needs.

I'm working on a "How to build Wire Wheels" tutorial...hope to to have it done soon

stay tuned... B)

Hiya Curt. Now That's modeling!!! Like Harry said: super.gifsuper.gif

As I said when I sent you the link, there's a subculture for everything. Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of Vintage Speedsters, whose epicenter just happens to be here in the Pacific Northwest: http://nwvs.org/index.shtml Quoting from my e-mail to you: "Dig deep, it’s full of treasures, in particular their section on vintage hop-up parts and motors. Also the section marked “Historics” which includes links at the top of its main page to “Classic Speedster Pictures” and “The Ed Hughes Photo Collection” that shouldn’t be missed: full of priceless period pics of these lo-buck racers from the Roaring Twenties and the early years of the Depression."

The result is everything I would expect from you and more! The wire wheels are a delightful touch that add immeasurably to what would already have been a fine model. It defnitely looks like you really absorded the imagery and the lore on the Northwest Vintage Speedsters website. You should drop them a note with some pics of this car. I'm sure they would be thrilled. They might even make you a 1/25th scale honorary member!

Looking forward to seeing this little jewel in a coupla weeks!

Edited by Bernard Kron