Model Cars Magazine Forum

i am getting very close to building a model

Chuck , i am waiting for a bender to show up , i am doing a brass rod roll cage for it , so i figure a few hours and that will be finished ,, but i am not very happy with how it turned out , i had basicaly zero tools when i did that car

I agree, no need to have a "start date" in mind. That may take away from the fun.

just START the project, and keep it simple. IF you try to dive too deep at first, you may not enjoy the process.

Open the kit, wash the parts to git rid of mold release agent, study the instructions, or other kits you plan on using to kit bash if that is the case. All of this can be done without having a workbench at this point, but it gets the creative juices flowing, and gets your mind "building".

Then, as time goes by, start cutting off the parts with sprue cutters, choose your tool etc etc. Build up to "building"

Good advice. I think the parts gathering and mockup stages are some of the most enjoyable...all creativity, no pressure to make it shiny, fit well or work correctly.

Several of the builds I started back about 2009 have become donors for other projects, as my skills have improved.

IMHO the best way to learn IS to bite off more than you actually know how to do and just go for it (researching and asking for advice when necessary).

And though it is possible to develop several advanced skills simultaneously, it's probably more efficient and quicker to develop one at a time (which is one reason my builds take so long...I'm always trying things I don't actually know how to do...yet).

62 corvette Lee ,, i want to do it white with red coves , but i have searched and i cant find a single 62 corvette that way , i see red with white coves but not white and red and i want to do as much deatil as i can on it , ahh i just did some reading , in 62 colored coves was not offered as an option !!

Edited by CrazyGirl

you can see what it will look like if you have a graphic program (photoshop, paintshop pro, illustrator, gimp, etc) by finding a photo of one online then saving it to you computer and then just changing the colors of the car.

you may find that your choice of colors may not work as well as you thought or it may show that you have made the perfect choice for how you want to portray your build choices.

the "What if" thread can give you a some clues as to the possibilities of using graphics programs to experiment with design choices before even opening a kit box.

62 corvette Lee ,, i want to do it white with red coves , but i have searched and i cant find a single 62 corvette that way , i see red with white coves but not white and red and i want to do as much deatil as i can on it , ahh i just did some reading , in 62 colored coves was not offered as an option !!

Who says you have to build/paint a car a certain way? Paint it white with red coves if that's what you want. Say it's a 1 of 1 car painted as such. That's the beauty of "custom building"...."I meant to do that."

Guest G Holding

To photoshop that cove it is very easy in photoshop.....Select the cove using the pen tool, drop the selection as a mask over the car, then make a color fill layer, adj opacity as you feel. By saving the selection as a mask, you can put any color into the cove

That's why most dealers had paint shops or contracts with local body shops. Although a factory-finished car would have been a solid color, you can be pretty sure that at least one or two ended up getting contrasting coves once delivered.

Charlie Larkin

Hey Greg ,,, that went over my head at 35,000 feet ,, i am so so bad with computers , heck i was tickled pink when i was able to figure out how to join this forum !! :lol:

Greg was probly figuring you were a whiz with computers, now that we know your level of computer savvy, we can adjust our suggestions accordingly. :)

it should be noted that I'm sure Greg's procedure to do this in photoshop will most likely achieve the desired results, I used a different program which costs a lot less and has similar capabilities as photoshop.

,then break open the next kit and start gluing it up while your waiting for glue to dry on the first.

Remember, benches are like shops. Its never big enough. :D

X3,then break open a fourth one and think about what you want to do it, colors for the body