Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody have this problem?

I've been working on a 71 duster and I was thinking this is going to be my best model ever! Well as soon as that thought hit my brain it went done hill from there. Now the more I try to make it look better the worse it is getting. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Problem are cropping up everywhere and in my opinion I'm to far along to want to start over.

Dave l just built this kit. l anly had trouble with the k member being a little warped that the enging and front suspention mounts to. l enjoy this kit built a few of them. if its has to many problems start a new one but l always work thru them unless its just not going to make it...

It happens to me sometimes too. I have lots of builds stalled due to a seemingly big issue then out of the blue I get the idea in my head and carry on. I know a few others here do this as well but I mock up the complete model, make tweaks and then blow it apart for paint etc. Takes out guesswork. Especially if you make alot of mods

It happens a lot. Minor box-stock builds become major projects with minds of their own; simple things turn to BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH in the blink of an eye. Put that one aside, open and start another build or read a magazine to get some fresh inspiration or go outside and enjoy some fresh late spring air. Write stuff down, make and take notes; you might be surprised at how ideas can pop into your head when you're least expecting them.

One thing modeling has taught me is patience. I've learned to try again sometimes, and when things get out of hand, just to walk away for a while. I've had models I was ready to hurl at the wall. A while later I looked at them with a fresh and rested mind and immediately saw the issue!

I had problems with that kit too. I shot the hood & rear wing, semi gloss black. The paint kept having issues. I painted them about 3 or 4 times. They're still not perfect but I finished it & went on to another. I have way too many problem models, back in their boxes. Now, unless it's a paint problem (into the purple pond), I try to just soldier on, learn from my mistakes, go on to the next one & hope it goes better.

Jeff

Hi,

The minute you started thinking "this might be my best model ever" the expectation and pressure went up due to being aware of a possible outcome goal - try to avoid this! I know its very hard when a build is going well but if you concentrate on performance goals instead (.e. developiing your skillsr) it may be easier to move forward.

As the others have said swapping projects for a bit will probably help. I usually have 2 or 3 projects on the go for a variety of reasons, with this being one of them.

I have one that has been on the waiting list since 98. Anyone whom sees it gazes in amazement when I tell them I was stumped and sit it aside. I keep it in close sight to remind me to finish what I had started but the spirit hasn't moved me quiet yet. ( someday I will finish it off :rolleyes: ) Set it to the side & move on.

I have a few cars I started as a kid and never finished due to the lack of my abilities at the time.

I popped open a '70s Range Rover I bought when I was 13 or so, painted it, looked like poop and then put in back into the box. 20 years later I stripped it, now I can not decide what color to paint it. You guessed it, it went back into the box.

I have a few cars I started as a kid and never finished due to the lack of my abilities at the time.

I have cars I started as an adult. I got just so far and reached the end of my abilities back then. For instance, I have a '73 Barracuda that I lengthened the roof on to make a fastback / wagon thingie. It started coming out way cool, looking like a factory show car. Then I hit the wall. I didn't know what to do with the mismatched drip rails and lack of window trim on the new rear light. Now I have some experience making those from Evergreen so I am good to get it going again. And I have a bunch of others.