Model Cars Magazine Forum

PRICE DROP on 3-D PRINTERS--WE ARE GETTING CLOSE(R)

I know the issue has been discussed before, but my intention here is to provide a thread where we can begin to track how prices plummet and 3-D PRINTERS become a reality on our work benches.

Again, my intention is to provide an at-a-glance list of models and prices, companies, anything that keeps the attention on the development of these mini (mighty) machines that will one day soon take up room in a corner of our work bench.

I was looking around at the different models, and this one seems (I believe this is the same one advertised by Office Depot, Staples, Office Max) but it's available through B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=985299&Q=&is=REG&A=details.

Very cool thread Virgil. I have a buddy of mine that has a Makerbot replicator 2 and they run $2,200.00. I was planning on drawing up a couple of parts and having him print them for me so I can see the quality of print. I would love to have a 3D printer one day but will be great to follow the prices on these. Just like computers I am sure prices will drop over time.

When 3D printers come down to an afforable price, 3D scanners must also be affordable and understandable to specialized hobbyists like us. Beyond that, while there will be aftermarket companies providing software to reproduce certain subjects and, like other companies providing final 3D printing, normal people like me will never master the process of creating our own CAD/whatever designs to make models to our desire, at least not without scanning. Which probably won't happen in my shrinking lifetime.

Edited by sjordan2

The first VCR I ever bought cost me $850. The last one I bought was $100, and it was better than the first one!

I was a late adopter. When the Panasonic VCR was on sale for $499, I jumped to get one. Of course all sold out, and waited weeks for them to honor the rain check. And this was as good as it got back then. Top loader, wired remote. Thought it couldn't get better than that! Before there were big video chains, you'd go to the mom and pop store and rent a move for $8.99 a night. They made you realize the move was worth $200 and you'd have to pay that if you lost it.

Last piece I bought was a 13" color TV / DVD combo for $10 at the Good Will Store. That's the one in the model room.

When 3D printers come down to an afforable price, 3D scanners must also be affordable and understandable to specialized hobbyists like us. Beyond that, while there will be aftermarket companies providing software to reproduce certain subjects and, like other companies providing final 3D printing, normal people like me will never master the process of creating our own CAD/whatever designs to make models to our desire, at least not without scanning. Which probably won't happen in my shrinking lifetime.I

I don't think you're giving yourself, or your fellow modelers enough credit. Sure, making models with 3D software takes some skill, but so does putting together a decent model, and skills can be learned. You don't need AutoCAD either. Most 3D graphics programs have some option for making 3D printer files. There is even a free modelling program called Blender, and while it does take a while to master, there is a whole community of users out there to help you out.

Remember all those computer games that supposedly took all the youngsters away from modelling? There are whole communities out there devoted to modifying those games, and creating new models for them. It's not too much of a stretch to think some of them might want a tangible version of thier creations. 3D printing might just be the thing for bringing back a new generation back to the hobby.

Something else to consider is that we all don't need one of these things for it to make an impact. Not everyone owns a photocopier, yet there are plenty of local businesses where you can feed change into a machine and run off a fun copies. Imagine a future where a 3D printer is an essential part of your LHS. You either supply them with a file, or select something from their catalogue.

Something else to consider is that we all don't need one of these things for it to make an impact. Not everyone owns a photocopier, yet there are plenty of local businesses where you can feed change into a machine and run off a fun copies. Imagine a future where a 3D printer is an essential part of your LHS. You either supply them with a file, or select something from their catalogue.

I think that's a very likely possibility.

I have a brandy new Sony BETA VCR. Anybody interested in it?

I bet if you put it up on ebay you'll sell it for a good buck. It's a collector's item!

Sony killed the Beta format when they wouldn't license it to anyone else.

True, Sonys refusal to license to to others is only ONE of the contributiing factors. Joe Blow consumer just wasn't concerned with HIGH QUALITY record and playback when taping their favorite game show/soap opera/T.V. series etc. VHS`s popularity with the masses was also due to the formats 120 minute record time capabilities, cheaper cost of cartridges, the EP mode (extended play mode found on earlier decks) which allowed the consumer to record up to 6 hours on a single cassette and initial purchase cost of the deck and tapes were other major factors in VHS becoming the popular format with Joe Blow Consumer.

It is noteworthy however, that pre-digital acquisition BETA was the "KING" of video record/playback formats in the "PROFESSIONAL" arena i.e. the broadcast industry, news rooms, on-location broadcast remote trucks, professional production houses etc. due to its unparalleled record/playback quality. Just a factoid or two on the BETA v.s. VHS matter.

Back to the topic at hand, I find this topic of interest and will be following this thread. I will also be keeping an eye on which 3-D printer is friendly to other Client Operating Systems besides Windows!! I make my living in a MAC based high-end production world. As a co-worker once uttered "those I.T. Windows guys can have my Mac when you pry it out of my cold dead hands!" LOL

Edited by 69NovaYenko