Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I worked at a Sears Hardware store in Carol Stream, Fl for a few years.  One April a guy came in bought the most expensive lawn tractor we had.  Late October he came in again to return the tractor saying he didn't like it.  He was given the cash  and went to the back of the store and bought the most expensive snow blower we had.  Come April he returned it and bought another tractor.  This went on for several years that I was there.  Sears had a huge banner above the exit door - SATISFACTION GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK.

Florida or Illinois?  Not surprised anyway though.

Illinois Joe.  I lived in West Chicago at the time behind the garden place on 64 & County Farm Road.

OK, you put Carol Stream, FL, the snowblower part kinda threw me there.  What amazed me is the number pf people who  pulled that stuff and had money in the first place.  Kinda like the folks who complain about having to cross the Fox River to get to the east side of St. Charles............

The sign should have read "SATISFACTION GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK", with small print under it that said "...unless you're a lying, thieving, scamming little POS, in which case you'll be taken out back and shot".

LOL!! yep:lol: Where's the "LIKE" button on this thing? B)

OK, you put Carol Stream, FL, the snowblower part kinda threw me there.  What amazed me is the number pf people who  pulled that stuff and had money in the first place.  Kinda like the folks who complain about having to cross the Fox River to get to the east side of St. Charles............

I was having a senior moment.  Sorry.

Suffering "the biggest roof-of-mouth abscess I've ever seen" (doctor's words),where the others I'd suffered recently "didn't hurt,was just really annoying",this one has been excrutiating for 2 days. Also,with perfect timing (sarcasm),suffering one of (if not the) worst old spinal injury flare-ups since the last several years. Nice of them to hit together,play off one another,and put me pretty much unable to do anything (including eat,sleep,look around,sit for long,lay down,sleep,stand,walk,talk,etc and on),sigh. If the tax refund doesn't come soon,the offending tooth is coming out,one way or other (wouldn't be the first time I've yanked one myself...)

We're experiencing a blizzard right now. Started here right at noon yesterday. It was hell driving home from work yesterday. It took about 3 times longer than normal. I have not gone outside since getting home from work yesterday. So I don't know exactly how much snow we've gotten so far, but it's a lot! Decided to not take any sub jobs for today. Planning on spending the day with shovel and snowblower.

One thing to be greatfull for. My next door neighbor made one run with his snowblower over my driveway in the alley at about 9pm last night. He is probably the best neighbor in the world. He is always helping out with things like this. Don't kid yourself, when I do get out there later this morning, if his driveway and boulevard sidewalk need extra clearing, I'll be returning the favor.

Okay, just went to the National Weather Service web site. Their snow depth maps are showing 7.5 inches in my neighborhood so far.

I feel for you guys up there. We had our coating of about 10.5 last week. I saw the radar for your area this A.M. and it still looks pretty bad.

I feel for you guys up there. We had our coating of about 10.5 last week. I saw the radar for your area this A.M. and it still looks pretty bad.

In our case, we've seen a lot worst in the past. This one really isn't too bad. Still, it's no fun. I hate snow!

Edited by unclescott58

• 2 weeks later...

I am hating these new replacement/improperly installed headlights that are dangerously bright to other drivers.  It must be part of the me mentality, or just the idiots that seem to be so pervasive these days. Oh how I wish for simpler times with manners, courtesy,  and common sense.  Is that to much to ask for?  Sadly I'm thinking yes. Rant over, I do feel better.:D

In our case, we've seen a lot worst in the past. This one really isn't too bad. Still, it's no fun. I hate snow!

One thing i don't miss from living in Chicago is snow. Seldom seen here in the south but Feb is a bad month her for ice and snow if it happens..

One thing i don't miss from living in Chicago is snow. Seldom seen here in the south but Feb is a bad month her for ice and snow if it happens..

Yeah Carl, the Chicagoland winters can be tough as I spent many winters working outside doin' construction work. I did "hate" winters, but now I find that if I just accept them, they're not so bad. This winter so far has been pretty good and I shouldn't complain.

I am hating these new replacement/improperly installed headlights that are dangerously bright to other drivers.  It must be part of the me mentality, or just the idiots that seem to be so pervasive these days. Oh how I wish for simpler times with manners, courtesy,  and common sense.  Is that to much to ask for?  Sadly I'm thinking yes. Rant over, I do feel better.:D

Yeah, I think the problem is that a lot of drivers either never absorbed the concept that headlights have two settings and should be dimmed when one encounters oncoming traffic ("What are all these little levers for?" "I'm busy texting." "I thought it was automatic."), and during collision repairs, replacements often don't get aimed.

Last time I ran a bodyshop, we billed (and the estimating programs all contained allowance for) 1/2 hour to aim the headlamps. The techs all expected to get paid for doing it, but I practically had to stand over them with a gun to get them to ACTUALLY DO IT.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

We are making some changes to our house. This could be about unreliable contractors, but it is not. When we moved in we bought a pretty expensive solid cherry TV lift from touchstone. We decided to sell ti foe almost 1/5 of what we paid for it. $500. I raised it up, took a picture, and when I went to lower it down it stopped before it got all the way down. It beeped a few times, then nothing. 

I unplugged it and plugged it back in and got a green light and a whirring sound. Nothing moved. 

I called Touchstone and guess what... the company that manufactured the lift mechanism is out of business and they do not have parts. I can buy a new series mechanism for 450.00. Ouch. 

With nothing to lose I tore apart the old mechanism. It's amazing how they can get those screw heads to tight with such soft metal. After I drilled out 5 of the screw heads I found the impeller shaft on the lower actuator (a big slot car motor) had snapped. I am wondering how long ago it broke because it seems to be operating pretty slow for a while. 

So I sent a picture of the broken shaft in the hopes I might get lucky. Then I'll have something for what pleased me.

Wish me luck.

Scott

Hosted on Fotki

Sorry you got bit by some of that potmetal steel that's becoming pretty much standard now that we rely on "offshore" companies to make everything. The machined transition from the major diameter of the shaft to the worm threads is probably too sharp too, and it may just be under-designed, period.

I hope they'll make it right for ya.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yep Bill, made offshore. While I was waiting for a response from the cabinet manufacture I did an internet search and quickly found the motor with the worm gear....only $7.00!

Wait for it......

Minimum order - 100 pcs. Geez.

Tell them you're a manufacturer and want a production sample

Anybody who has had to look for a job recently can probably relate to my ongoing experience. As some people know, networking can lead to jobs not always posted to the public or in some cases, a job is created because a company values your skills enough to make sure you don't end up at the competition. I have been out of work for 11 weeks but within the first week, I had two solid leads on a new job, all through networking. Fast forward those 11 weeks and I am still waiting for the next step in the process after interviewing and being told "You are perfect for the job, we just have to work out a couple details and we should be set..."

There is also the interview process with large corporations that defies logic. I spent nearly 3 hours between the phone interview and online testing only to be told 3 weeks later in a generic email that "I didn't fit their criteria". There is also the case where I interviewed with a large automotive manufacturer and my skills/experience match up perfectly (according to the recruiter) during the initial interview a month ago but they haven't moved on to the next round in the interview process.

The stress of trying to find another job is really beginning to wear on me. I don't think the people responsible for hiring realize that the lack of communication on their end causes people to give up on their company and eventually find a job with a company that is better run.

Anybody who has had to look for a job recently can probably relate to my ongoing experience. As some people know, networking can lead to jobs not always posted to the public or in some cases, a job is created because a company values your skills enough to make sure you don't end up at the competition. I have been out of work for 11 weeks but within the first week, I had two solid leads on a new job, all through networking. Fast forward those 11 weeks and I am still waiting for the next step in the process after interviewing and being told "You are perfect for the job, we just have to work out a couple details and we should be set..."

There is also the interview process with large corporations that defies logic. I spent nearly 3 hours between the phone interview and online testing only to be told 3 weeks later in a generic email that "I didn't fit their criteria". There is also the case where I interviewed with a large automotive manufacturer and my skills/experience match up perfectly (according to the recruiter) during the initial interview a month ago but they haven't moved on to the next round in the interview process.

The stress of trying to find another job is really beginning to wear on me. I don't think the people responsible for hiring realize that the lack of communication on their end causes people to give up on their company and eventually find a job with a company that is better run.

Looking for a job can be very stressful, especially when the bills keep comin' in the mailbox even though one has cut-back as much as they could. In my previous line of work, getting laid-off was very common and stressful, but I managed for 35 years. Of course a good wife that still works while you're lookin' for work always helps.