Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Kinda like the Fed fining folks who can't afford health insurance for not having it, eh?

"Let's see...they don't have enough money to buy health insurance. Hmmm...here's a good idea. They have very little money, so we'll take MORE of their money to punish them for not spending money they don't have. Yeah, that'll work."

Morons. Sorry...not PC. Oops.

Don't get me going on THAT pile of bs!

Edited by midnightprowler

Home Owners Association, the intent is to make sure things are clean and uniform around the neighborhood or sub division. Problem is that you'll get wanna be Napolions in these Associations that can get very demanding of their neighbors over things like house color, grass depth, size, location, and types of any flags and poles, ect. I think they can be far worse that any real "government" that you'd run into.

Yes, every newer nice neighborhood in my area of PA has one of these. They were set up by the builders and taken over by the homeowners once the developments were completed. Part of their charter is to bring harmony to the neighborhood, to sponsor parties and events to bring us all together. I understood that our board did that early on, especially when the neighborhood was new and everyone here had kids, but that it dwindled to almost nothing over time.

When we bought the house, the first greeting we got was a nasty letter in our mailbox that our landscaping was overgrown and needed to be replaced. Yes, it was overgrown, but must've taken years to get that way. The previous owners were very popular socially in the neighborhood because they'd let all the neighborhood kids swim in the pool and held parties there as well. So nobody would've criticized them!

There was no welcome committee (actually there was on paper) so we never learned of the services like the neighborhood email chain, the holiday party or anything else until our second year here when we got a neighborhood directory in our mail box. We'd been here over a year and they didn't have us in it.

Then I learned that the HOA president's wife was really wearing the pants, and that she'd drive around and inspect properties. When I saw her Ford Explorer parked at my curb and saw her in it writing on a clipboard, I approached her and asked if I could help her. She was flustered and drove away. The next day I got an unsigned notice that they wanted a dead bush removed. The funny part was that they sent me a notice that I needed to put down mulch in my front gardens. Then they sent me a notice that I had a pile of mulch!

They also had this way of deflecting blame saying that "a neighbor had complained" as a way of deflecting pressure from the board. My neighbor next door's house is situated so that I'm his only close neighbor. He came to me with their notice that a neighbor had complained about his dog. Riley is a little imp who barks like crazy when a car drives by. He is funny and he is endearing and comes up to my back door to get pet. So I wrote the board a letter in response that we LOVED Riley and to quit harassing my neighbor under false pretenses. Unlike their hit and run misuse of the USPS mail box, I sent each board member a certified letter. That ended that.

The board changed over this year and we haven't heard a peep out of the new players. Hopefully with this woman silenced, life will be peaceful in our neighborhood.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I was talking about city ordinances vs. state law. The state of California fining you if you water your lawn, while the city you live in fines you for not watering it. Two sets of laws in direct contradiction to each other. What's a homeowner supposed to do?

Kinda like the Fed fining folks who can't afford health insurance for not having it, eh?

"Let's see...they don't have enough money to buy health insurance. Hmmm...here's a good idea. They have very little money, so we'll take MORE of their money to punish them for not spending money they don't have. Yeah, that'll work."

For the record... I agree 100%. I could write a book on the subject! But no politics here, please.

I decided to trim my beard today while getting ready for work since was starting to get a bit too long and I had the time.........ended up screwing it up and had to shave the whole dang thing off and will have to restart from scratch! Luckily, with how I grow facial hair, it should be pretty close to what I wanted by August 1st :P

Then I learned that the HOA president's wife was really wearing the pants, and that she'd drive around and inspect properties. When I saw her Ford Explorer parked at my curb and saw her in it writing on a clipboard, I approached her and asked if I could help her. She was flustered and drove away. The next day I got an unsigned notice that they wanted a dead bush removed. The funny part was that they sent me a notice that I needed to put down mulch in my front gardens. Then they sent me a notice that I had a pile of mulch!

The whole world once feared Caesar... but Caesar feared his wife...

A few years ago, a woman (not picking on women here, but she was a woman) who had just moved into the neighborhood was trying to put together a petition to start a HOA. My only question was: "if you want something like this, why didn't you move into a neighborhood that already has one?". I didn't get an answer. I saw her and her accomplice walk to a couple other houses before giving up on the idea...

I was talking about city ordinances vs. state law. The state of California fining you if you water your lawn, while the city you live in fines you for not watering it. Two sets of laws in direct contradiction to each other. What's a homeowner supposed to do?

Usually, the higher branch of government outrules the lower, so you would only get fined for watering your lawn. I don't know... Stupid laws haha

Usually, the higher branch of government outrules the lower, so you would only get fined for watering your lawn. I don't know... Stupid laws haha

No town official would be stupid enough to issue tickets for not watering your lawn during a water emergency. That would be the lead item on the 6pm news! It's a declared state of emergency so the low water supply can be used for drinking, the public good and um, fighting fires. The same officials who would issue the first ticket, usually are the ones who will write the ticket for watering your lawn during a water emergency.

No town official would be stupid enough to issue tickets for not watering your lawn during a water emergency. That would be the lead item on the 6pm news! It's a declared state of emergency so the low water supply can be used for drinking, the public good and um, fighting fires. The same officials who would issue the first ticket, usually are the ones who will write the ticket for watering your lawn during a water emergency.

But still.

2vkj0cy.png

No town official would be stupid enough to issue tickets for not watering your lawn during a water emergency

The fact that two diametrically opposed laws exist on the books in the same state is plenty stupid in its own right, regardless of who enforces what.

The nine most feared words in the English language... "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Morons. Sorry...not PC. Oops.

calling the feds "morons" is very insulting to real morons....just sayin. ;)

The way people in general will hop on any band wagon that happens by and ride it off into the sunset regardless of how outrageous it is. I remember sitting in a waiting room for lab tests and one old fart(yea I know, I just got my Medicare card so I are one)stated that the weather changes are being cause by Chinese nuclear testing. Well there were several others who immediately chimed in and it turned into a slam the Chinese for everything on the planet. Not saying that they don't do some stuff that isn't right but nuclear testing, climate change? Where do you get that, the latest Godzilla movie? Come on folks!

The way people in general will hop on any band wagon that happens by and ride it off into the sunset regardless of how outrageous it is. I remember sitting in a waiting room for lab tests and one old fart...stated that the weather changes are being cause by Chinese nuclear testing....(N)uclear testing, climate change? Where do you get that, the latest Godzilla movie? Come on folks!

Everything old is new again. When I was a wee boy, one very popular topic was "the dang nooculur bombs is changing the dang weather!!!"

I heard a few years ago that folks in Cali were painting their lawns green in order to save water.

And another one, folks. When I was a wee boy, I remember a LOT of folks in sunny southern Florida had concrete front yards, painted green.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have to sort and maintain the cores and used parts for warranty analysis at work. All of these parts are stored in a small building *cough* (shed), or on adjacent pallets next to it.

Now, when you see a semi-circle on the ground in front of a door, would you assume it means, "make a big pile of (stuff) here!"

These nitwits (@#$!&%#$) do! I can't close or open the door without having to move a pile of stuff.

Edited by Zarana-X

Ok, another minor irk, but...

people who don't understand the concept of "right turn on red" and sit there throughout the entire traffic light cycle, waiting for the green before they make their turn... even if "the coast is clear"... :rolleyes:

Is there some sort of law that states all clueless drivers must be located in the Chicago metro area? :lol:

Ok, another minor irk, but...

people who don't understand the concept of "right turn on red" and sit there throughout the entire traffic light cycle, waiting for the green before they make their turn... even if "the coast is clear"... :rolleyes:

Is there some sort of law that states all clueless drivers must be located in the Chicago metro area? :lol:

And their evil cousins, the guys that don't stop at all on red, just charge through the red and make that right on two wheels! :rolleyes:

Don't worry Harry, I believe there is an even distribution. Probably more of them in the retirement belt...

My favorite? Two old folks on line at McDonalds... they've been waiting 10 minutes... they finally get up to the order taker and the lady looks at the old guy and says, "Gee what do you want Walter? Should we get the red meat paste or the Chinese chicken?"

Edited by Tom Geiger