Model Cars Magazine Forum

here is an interseting question I want your opinions on.

When buying model kits from online or anywhere else for that mater, which is more valuable?

kits that are still sealed in the box like say a vintage mpc petty roadrunner

or

kits that are vary detailed with hours of labor in them for a quality build

just curious

Probably way too many variables to make a general assumption about the value of either.

It would totally depend on the kit - either the sealed or the built one. In general, unbuilt, sealed kits are worth more. But, again, there is no rule and it's really hard, if not impossible, to know what people will pay more for on any given day...

Well, personally I wouldn't buy a built model. Glue Bombs are an exception here, though.

There are a couple of reasons why I don't buy those. First, what would I do with a Model Car that is already built, but is too nice to be taken apart and rebuilt. Then it's just taking one place in my shelf. Second, the nicely built Models are usually way too expensive for me. And of course, it's very critical to pack the model very carefully for sending it to another place.

There are more people who buy new kits, rather than built models (Except those Glue Bombs!). I see many of those nicely built Models for sale for a very high price... Just wonder how many of them get sold with that amount of cash...

As Ayn Rand explained in Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, the concept of value presupposes an answer to the questions; "Of value to whom, and for what purpose?".

Value does not exist as an intrinsic property in or of a particular entity, but has validity only with respect, and in relation, to the valuer. Therefor, to ask "Which is more valuable?" is an unanswerable question.

Granted, one may argue that "market value" is implicit in the question. This is a straw man. "the market" doesn't exist as a distinct entity; it is merely an aggregate of individuals, each one of whom will place a different hierarchical value on any item offered in "the market".

Hope that clears up your question. ;)

I try not to think about my models as an investment. True, many of them are worth many times what I paid for them, but I still won't hesitate to build one if I have the urge. Also, with all the reissues of ancient tools, and the likelihood that more will surface, I don't want to be 'invested' in kits. Sealed or unsealed doesn't matter to me. Frankly I'd rather have unsealed because sealed kits can be incomplete, be warped or have other imperfections like tires that have melted bodies, glass or decals. Also, I like to see and touch the kit contents!

For built models... I'd rather have a model I built myself on my shelf as first choice. If I see a model that I think is very cool, I will buy it if it's reasonable. I also have a few models built by friends and some that have passed on. I treasure those. I also have The Olde Kustom Kollection, of old customs built in the early 1960s. I collect and restore these as the folk art of our youth!

a few months ago, I thought all models were over priced [i'm talking new, on the store shelf stuff], now, it's a whole new thought process for me. now that I have jumped off the deep end full force plastic-wise my views are different on prices. I unfortunately have a longing for kits I couldn't buy as a kid/youth, and as such, have been buying 'vintage' kits. my realm has been limited to big rigs and trailers. I do prefer sealed kits, but, if it's something I want and it's all there, good enough. I am not buying for an investment, I intend to build all I bought eventually, some I am saving until my skill set improves, but by golly, i'm building them. it's reliving my youth to an extent, and I am in the position to be able to spend a little too much on something if I think I want it bad enough.

having said all that, a few months ago if you told me i'd spend $100 or more for an old kit, i'd of said you were nuts, now i'd say you were right. but at the same return, if the market holds as it is for awhile, if I needed to, I could get my money back......if the market stays the same.

it's all relative.....

There is zero value for me in buying a built model, if I wanted to buy already built models, I would be a diecast collector, when buying OOP kits, if they came factory sealed, I would perfer to buy them that way, but if all the contents are all there, I will buy an open kit, now that is online, buying from shows/swaps meets are different, and no problems buying open kits.

Hoooooooo boy, dis sounds like one of the gasoline station forums I belong to. The ole Codgers there are "Beefin " about "pickers ". Hey, I started building plastic model kits because I like cars . I built the A M T "Annual kits " vs Revell, and a few others cause the A M T's went together nicely and didn't cause me agony and grief , unlike a few out there at the time which went together and parts ................. uh may or may not have ever gone onto a build .

Yeah, Viet Nam nailed everything for me by 1967. I got out of building kits in 1970 as a career was more interesting . I bought a few kits , usually A M T's during the 70's . I had lost my entire collection of builts in a flood from a Hurricane back in 1972.

Even when I returned to the hobby in 1986, I usually bought the A M T's , usually re- issues of old Trophy kits like the 36 Ford . OCCASIONALY, I'd buy a old built kit , but it had to be a cleanly built kit and it had to have been a subject that wasn't readily available , an example , A M T 1961 Buick Special wagon .

I buy kits of cars that interest me . I don't very often trade off what I have . I buy a kit because I usually have a definitive plan to build it , NOT sell it as some piece of meat . As for values , heck , that's like looking to see the weather out side . one minute sunny an 70 , the next , uh rainy and 50.......................

I try not to think of them as investments, but to some degree I usually try to spend my money wisely. Hence I have very little in the stash I personally consider big money collectables. Although I do have quite a bit of vintage MPC/AMT/Johan kits,,,, but none are here because I perceve them as future cash outs for retirement. They are here because I have plans for them,,,,,,,all of them

as far as buying a built kit,,,

If it's of the subject matter that interests me, I have no problem buying a built kit. I've bought several in the past year. and do actually hunt for built ups on occasion.

IF it's of a similar build quality as my own AND I don't already have the same car/subject completed and on the shelf.

There is zero value for me in buying a built model, if I wanted to buy already built models, I would be a diecast collector, when buying OOP kits, if they came factory sealed, I would perfer to buy them that way, but if all the contents are all there, I will buy an open kit, now that is online, buying from shows/swaps meets are different, and no problems buying open kits.

I agree 100% with Jonathan, I have no interest in a built model. I won't live long enough to build all I've got so now I'm thinking of doing some horse trading on the bay or here if it ever revs up.

here is an interseting question I want your opinions on.

When buying model kits from online or anywhere else for that mater, which is more valuable?

kits that are still sealed in the box like say a vintage mpc petty roadrunner

or

kits that are vary detailed with hours of labor in them for a quality build

just curious

"More valuable" how?

To buy and resell with the intent of making a profit? Or to buy for your own enjoyment?

If the answer is to buy with the intent of reselling for a profit, nobody can say. A model, built or unbuilt, is only as valuable as whatever a buyer is wiling to pay for it. Look at ebay and check the prices, that'll give you an idea of current market prices. Just remember that prices can fluctuate wildly from one day to the next.

If the answer is to buy for your own enjoyment, then only you can decide which is more valuable.

As Ayn Rand explained in Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, the concept of value presupposes an answer to the questions; "Of value to whom, and for what purpose?".

Value does not exist as an intrinsic property in or of a particular entity, but has validity only with respect, and in relation, to the valuer. Therefor, to ask "Which is more valuable?" is an unanswerable question.

Granted, one may argue that "market value" is implicit in the question. This is a straw man. "the market" doesn't exist as a distinct entity; it is merely an aggregate of individuals, each one of whom will place a different hierarchical value on any item offered in "the market".

Hope that clears up your question. ;)

Uhhhh . . . yeah.

I'll buy a built up if it's an example of a kit I've wanted,it's in decent shape or easily repairable,and it's cheap enough for me to afford.I'll buy an old unbuilt kit if it's one I've wanted but I won't buy something like an unbuilt MPC '70 Cuda because I don't buy investment grade styrene.I could buy a new Studio 27 or Model Factory Hiro kit for the same price but I won't do that either-they're way beyond the threshhold of what I'll pay for a kit.

Edited by ZTony8

Well, personally I wouldn't buy a built model. Glue Bombs are an exception here, though.

There are a couple of reasons why I don't buy those. First, what would I do with a Model Car that is already built, but is too nice to be taken apart and rebuilt. Then it's just taking one place in my shelf. Second, the nicely built Models are usually way too expensive for me. And of course, it's very critical to pack the model very carefully for sending it to another place.

There are more people who buy new kits, rather than built models (Except those Glue Bombs!). I see many of those nicely built Models for sale for a very high price... Just wonder how many of them get sold with that amount of cash...

I'm with this 100% ... I buy kits BECAUSE I build them!

There is value to me to find a built kit (cheap) that can serve as reference for a kit I want to build. Since I build largely in 1/16 and above with a high parts count, that means (1) the ability to see a large number of parts for building reference and (2) Because most of my kits are older and out of production, and if I'm missing some small parts in those older kits, I have a back-up without spending for an unbuilt kit. EXAMPLE: I recently bought a built 1/16 Rolls Phantom II very cheaply, which provides build reference for my own Phantom II kits, and has the correct wheels for my 1/16 Phantom III kit.

Edited by sjordan2

There is value to me to find a built kit (cheap) that can serve as reference for a kit I want to build. Since I build largely in 1/16 and above with a high parts count, that means (1) the ability to see a large number of parts for building reference and (2) Because most of my kits are older and out of production, and if I'm missing some small parts in those older kits, I have a back-up without spending for an unbuilt kit. EXAMPLE: I recently bought a built 1/16 Rolls Phantom II very cheaply, which provides build reference for my own Phantom II kits, and has the correct wheels for my 1/16 Phantom III kit.

That makes perfect sense Skip. Exactly like acquiring a beater for parts for a 100 point 1:1 restoration project.

I like to own and display kits I find really exceptional, creative, and one of a kinds. More often than not, these are built by someone other than myself, so - in general - I prefer buying builts to building kits. Comes down to a matter of taste or opinion, perhaps puurpose, I suppose.

There are a number of builts 'Under Glass' here I'd love to purchase.

• 1 month later...