Model Cars Magazine Forum

How did you melt yours?

"...As exciting as watching paint dry." I've seen a few posts lately about how folks accidentally melted something by heat, chemical or otherwise, in an effort to cut a corner, speed something up or plain old negligence. It's amusing to see how many ways that happens (and I think we've all done it). So, how'd it happen?

Mine was typical. Put a part by the heat register to speed up the paint drying.

Time for a big block chevy swap with a huge blower on top of it.....no need for a hood then!

Sounds like it would make a good phantom Roadkill project car, I think they've only had a few cars on there that they could keep the hood on for the entire show........most of those were driven during a real winter or during the spring when snow started flying.

Bill, I too was a kid. I had completed the Gemini capsule, detail painted it and all. Thought that it looked good sitting on top of the lampshade of my desk lamp. The heatshield could not hold up to the heat given off by the bulb and the bottom melted out. : (

Edited by Bill Eh?

Dehydrators are bad.....humkay

(especially the ones without temp control like mine)

WIP '36 Ford Roadster with '37 head light buckets,

trying to make a Danbury Mint styrene copy.

Top was a clear piece of unknown origin (kit historians?)

anyhooo....placed it in the dehydrator and took a nap....

100_0898-vi.jpg

woke up to this major FAIL

100_0920-vi.jpg

100_0921-vi.jpg

100_0918-vi.jpg

Many many years ago (probably 20 years ago) I remember building the LAPD pro stock camaro and well I painted the roll cage and I had put it under my desk lamp to heat it up to help it dry faster. When I came back to take a look at it, I moved the lamp and well the part was gone. I then realized I put the lamp too close to the roll cage and it was stuck to the light bulb. And we'll it wasn't the same shape anymore and it was jacked up. I learn to never put the lamp that close anymore to help paint dry...lol

Dehydrators are bad.....humkay

(especially the ones without temp control like mine)

WIP '36 Ford Roadster with '37 head light buckets,

trying to make a Danbury Mint styrene copy.

Top was a clear piece of unknown origin (kit historians?)

May have been out of the AMT/Ertl 37 Chevy cabriolet kit. It had a convertible top molded on the clear sprue. (had a custom smoothie hood molded in clear too!)

Somewhere on this site is a picture of a distorted pink and purple Packard boattail speedster that I left in the back seat of my car for a week. This was in February. In Texas, of course. It was after the San Antonio IPMS contest. I accidentally broke off the hood ornament the night before, and it was my only Packard model. Eh, it's IPMS. They're all about tanks and planes. No one will notice a Duesenberg ornament. Uhhh...they did.

I had just started earning money and purchased a vintage Imc Volkswagen kit for $35 (regular kits were going for $7-$8 Johan kits $5) the body was slightly warped. I read some where to place in hot water and bend back to shape , well to me hot water was boiling water . That sucker shrunk faster than a Shrinky Dink .

May have been out of the AMT/Ertl 37 Chevy cabriolet kit. It had a convertible top molded on the clear sprue. (had a custom smoothie hood molded in clear too!)

Thanks...gonna place a request for one in the Want Page

Gotta put a '36 back on my build pile

I use a strong caustic soda solution to strip chrome.

Caustic Soda dissolving in water is an exothermic reaction (it gets hot).

I forgot just how exothermic when stripping some Revell 32 Ford suspension parts in a fresh batch.

Oops.jpg

Edited by zenrat