Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite gasser kits?

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

Ubiquitous, maybe, but some might say classic:

5750192_orig.jpg

RMX854228-2.jpg?1481717852

I'm planning to build an old MPC Switchers '32 5-window as a drag gasser. It doesn't have a stock '32 frame, but you cant see that with the full fenders on anyway. And then I'm going to build one of the chopped issues of it--either an AG or a Coddington issue--as a drag altered, since the non-stock frame doesn't matter there. I also happen to have a spare AMT '32 Vicky body, which I might try to set up as a "switcher" for one of them, probably the gasser. 

59.64% of model builders have at least one AMT '37 Chevy Coupe in their stash, so get to it, people.

A set of Godyear Blue Streak slicks and Torq-Thrust wheels for the rear, AMT/Revell/MPC skinnys with American Racing LeMans wheels up front, and you're half way there. Engine choice is up to you, just keep it all under the hood, please:

37chevgas.jpg.c225198987bec603d156d868247f4de3.jpg

Below is a '38 Chevy, but same deal. Pie crust rear slicks from the Revell '64 Ford T-bolt kit, and you could even use the Radir wheels from the same kit on all four corners, too. Straight front axle and parallel leaf springs, a simple hood scoop fabbed from sheet styrene or sourced from your parts box, and a few vintage sponsor decals complete the look.

37chevygas.jpg.e16d67ed9c7081e3f4e0574acfb83575.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

59.64% of model builders have at least one AMT '37 Chevy Coupe in their stash, so get to it, people.

A set of Godyear Blue Streak slicks and Torq-Thrust wheels for the rear, AMT/Revell/MPC skinnys with American Racing LeMans wheels up front, and you're half way there. Engine choice is up to you, just keep it all under the hood, please:

37chevgas.jpg.c225198987bec603d156d868247f4de3.jpg

That is one GREAT looking '37 Chev! Any idea what year that pic is from? 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

That is one GREAT looking '37 Chev! Any idea what year that pic is from? 

About 1965/'66. Additional photos at the link below. Notice the raised stance of the "restored" version, contradicting the very slightly nose-down attitude of the car AS RACED.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/don-nowells-1937-chevy-coupe.45378/

5bf03997cdb95_gasser37chevyNowellFullSide.jpg.fdb7ecafe5d7686dde0338e5e16bf716.jpg

• Like 1

I started this period piece eons ago, based on a badly busted up gluebomb. Roof is sunk in from excessive glue on the window unit when originally built, and the body is otherwise warped, so the plan is to do the car as having been rolled and never entirely repaired. Opening the doors and deck was mostly to allow the believable use of different colored panels that would give the impression of being junkyard parts.

DSCN5960.JPG.6b7253647909ccd41449b3e44ba662cd.JPG

Chassis stripped of everything but the rails, which were repaired and filled with epoxy/cotton flock mixture for strength. The transverse-leaf spring front axle ride-height adjustment is copied from a design on the Cagle-Sanchez Bonneville record-breaking Studebaker. Rear end is Chevy truck with six-bolt axles.

DSCN5965.JPG.50220fadf884a50a32737c865d4e8298.JPG

Doors and deck open, and new fabricated floor and hump in progress.

DSCN5973.JPG.e566c0742f90c2c2b584b3c304d70a94.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

Maybe Miss Sharon is more your thing? AMT '37 Chevy Coupe kit again, with some Parts Pack pie crust slicks and deep steel wheels from any number of AMT kits, bias-ply tires from the Lindberg '64 Plymouth Belvedere kit and shallow steelies, and the Olds V-8 from the Revell '50 Olds Sedan kit. Aluminum tubing for the oversized exhaust dumps, a Detail Master Moon fuel tank (though this one looks like the largest size), and some custom fabbed traction bars...good gravy, is that the fuel pump sitting under the headlight housing? :o

37gasser.jpg.4097566debef5be01cf3c262db82028d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Maybe Miss Sharon is more your thing? AMT '37 Chevy Coupe kit again, with some Parts Pack pie crust slicks and deep steel wheels from any number of AMT kits, bias-ply tires from the Lindberg '64 Plymouth Belvedere kit and shallow steelies, and the Olds V-8 from the Revell '50 Olds Sedan kit. Aluminum tubing for the oversized exhaust dumps, a Detail Master Moon fuel tank (though this one looks like the largest size), and some custom fabbed traction bars...good gravy, is that the fuel pump sitting under the headlight housing? :o

And is that color '61-'62 Chevy Honduras Maroon? Cool! 

On 11/16/2018 at 11:10 PM, Casey said:

Not to mention that, frankly, the '37 Chevy is probably the best looking of late '30s coupe body styles. And the AMT '37 is a really great kit.

On 11/17/2018 at 1:18 PM, dodgefever said:

I think that's an old style Enderle fuel shut off valve.  The pump would be driven off the front of the cam, or belt driven if an OEM front cover/water pump was used.

Ah, that sounds more reasonable.

14 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Not to mention that, frankly, the '37 Chevy is probably the best looking of late '30s coupe body styles. And the AMT '37 is a really great kit.

I think all the '36-'39 Ford and/or Chevy kits available make great gas class cars, even if they run a straight eight Buick:

FirestonePCslicks_2jpg.jpg.ad76ae4cc1891cb06d158637b0587c4c.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/23/2019 at 5:41 PM, Casey said:

I'll nominate the 1/24 Monogram Revell '37 Ford Coupe kit for a gasser project:

Well I'd agree that it's possible, but it's not a gasser kit per se, that is, straight from the box. Unless you've inside info at Revell? ?

But I do think it would make a great gasser. Being 1/24 it's a bit problematic but not insurmountable. 

On 11/17/2018 at 12:18 PM, Casey said:

Hah, love the Oldsmobile behind the gasser and the Esso sign !!!! I remember both real well, I ran Esso or Flying A gas in my go cart back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Well, except for that real one is a sedan and the kit is a hardtop with a different roof, that would make a cool model project. 

I did notice that, but considering the other option is a Fleetline or an aftermarket resin body, I figured it would be a good enough placeholder until...😉

gs.jpg.dbc7af7505eb8d2ff6f470f36615c8fd.jpg

1_689_orig.jpg.ba5f2733f1c5dd4ebe7b877678536adc.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Love the Ol Gassers.  Haven't been back in the hobby long enough yet but I have built the Revell 1941 Willys and have the Revell 1951 Henry J on order at the local hobby shop.  I'd like to get the Revell 1951 Thames Panel Delivery.  I was going to get the AMT 51 Chevy Belair at HL but they stopped getting it in.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I did notice that, but considering the other option is a Fleetline or an aftermarket resin body, I figured it would be a good enough placeholder until...😉

gs.jpg.dbc7af7505eb8d2ff6f470f36615c8fd.jpg

1_689_orig.jpg.ba5f2733f1c5dd4ebe7b877678536adc.jpg

Gene Schwartz ran all three '51 body styles over the years.  The hardtop was first.  It was wrecked in a towing mishap, and was replaced with a two-door sedan.  He got away from drag racing for about 30 years to make a living as a musician.  When he came back to nostalgia racing, he built another hardtop, and a few years ago added a Fleetline.