Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will GM's problems ever end?

How are they going to supply the parts to fix them all.....but a bigger question may be the man hours needed to fix them all.......you can only get some many hours a day from a mechanic.

A truly sad state for a one time great American corp..........

They just have to have them made, ship them to the dealers, and maybe have techs set aside for the work. One of the guys on R/C Crawler ended up being theee Tacoma Frame Swap guy at the Toyota dealer he worked at since he did it so much that he was quick at it.

They just have to have them made, ship them to the dealers, and maybe have techs set aside for the work. One of the guys on R/C Crawler ended up being theee Tacoma Frame Swap guy at the Toyota dealer he worked at since he did it so much that he was quick at it.

I get that........and why I took my Honda to a dealership in Ohio that had done over 100 recalls on the Fits before mine.

The guy they had was doing it in half the time Honda said it would take.

But when you start talking about almost 18 million cars over the 40,000 Honda had to fix.......15 minutes each is mind boggling.....

I've had GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMW and Mercedes.. so far my first GM car (Cadillac STS) has been very reliable, had it almost 3 years now.

They're all great in the first three years. GM in particular often gets good grades for "initial quality". Then the cost-cutting rears its ugly head, the chronic problems rise to the surface, and the resale value gets steered into the ditch like everything else they've been building...

I really have to wonder if the bean counters will learn from this HOW MUCH CHEAPER IT REALLY IS TO GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Common sense would dictate that not having to fix a part via recall and/or warranty would be worth the extra cost of a sturdier piece due to repeat business from satisfied customers, but you never know what these corporate accountants or the management are thinking.

Common sense would dictate that not having to fix a part via recall and/or warranty would be worth the extra cost of a sturdier piece due to repeat business from satisfied customers, but you never know what these corporate accountants or the management are thinking.

They are thinking they need to cut the cost of every part by 5 to 10 cents ( or whatever the goal number is) to save cost.

Save the company money = bigger Bonus.

my saturn Redline Ion is now ten years old and now recalled!! still waiting on the call my parts came in!!..... I already took in the wifes 08' chevy cobalt to ha ve her ignition switch changed they must be getting fast at it i don't think we were there an hour at the dealership for her car....

Make that now (2) recalls! just got a letter in the mail today stating that now my Electric power steering motor needs replacement!!

well it does make sense every so often when i crank the car the message center dings and "power steering" displays the electric motor quits and sends me to manual mode it was always fixxed by turning the car off and starting it again, I guess i'm getting that problem fixxed/ remedied for free now too on my 10 yr old car !!

Edited by MsDano85gt

I used to be a Chevy guy in my youth. I bought a VW Scirroco back in '81 and have never looked back. I hear the GM stories from friends over the years and just shake my head. American cars have gotten better over the last decade or two but the imports are several steps ahead as usual. I wish it weren't so but it is.

Need to see the US recall news dated December 18,2013! between 2005 &2009 For recalled 14 million cars and trucks. and if you read this it shows that ford much like GM made bad choices! and don't think that Honda ,Toyota are amune to this because they aren't!

When the bean counters realize that the better quality part can be had for just a little more $ and that those additional $ can be recovered by raising the MSRP by the same amount, the world will be a better place. It all boils down to $$$. Those people who are in charge of procurement and purchasing look better if they spend less, and that's all they care about. I have seen it and continue to see it all too often in the corporate world.

and people still are buying them.sales are climbing.the advertisers are doing well

some have mentioned the bean counters specing cheap parts for more profit,more like light weight,light duribilty parts being used to chase that mpg figure that every one wants

GM troubles won't go away until start looking at the big picture. Putting off recalls makes sense when you only are concerned with the hear and now. If we do a recall now it will cause a loss for this quarter. If you told these guys that the world was ending they would only care if it was in this quarter. Otherwise that a problem for the next quarter.

and people still are buying them.sales are climbing.the advertisers are doing well

some have mentioned the bean counters specing cheap parts for more profit,more like light weight,light duribilty parts being used to chase that mpg figure that every one wants

Bingo! Exactly what I was going to say!

Edited by JohnU

GM has recalled 17 million cars within six months!

Recalls alone do not tell the whole story.

Even GM admits MANY deaths associated with it's recalls. My Honda recall was a spring in the VTEC system IF IT HAD failed would reduce HP by 10-15 but not a SINGLE death or even real world failure was recorded. The spring failed in the lab....very different situation......

Can't really compare a cracked VTEC spring to GM's key issue.....maybe more like the possibility of the cracked head on the Pentastars instead. It seems Toyota's run away drive by wire would be more compareable as that actually lead to people losing their lives.

Yeah, it seems GM's problems aren't so much related to the actual defective parts, but the fact they knew about the problem for ten years yet didn't do a thing about it.

So maybe now they're sort of over-correcting to prove they "care," and are issuing all these dozens of separate recalls just to be on the safe side.

But still, no matter how you spin it, GM is a mess right now.

GM has recalled 17 million cars within six months!

Maybe because GM makes more and sales more cars than Ford. even if it was the last century Ford had it's troubles in the 70's My aunt told me about a Ford she had bought new and within the first two years the steering wheel cumbled apart!, ford also still has problems popping up on the ECO-Burst(Boost) engine's.

BTW, Iv'e owned Chevrolet's, Pontiac's, Oldsmobiles, Buick's, Dodge's Chrysler's and ford's and a mazda pickup. none of the Chevy's ,oldsmobile's left me stranded on the side of the highway as the 3 ford's I had, or the four dodge products I had. 2 tempo's that either the front drive system went out or engine failure. 2 dodge caravan the drive train busted on . a Newport that the Transmission self destructed on and a Omni that the front coil spring busted and tore the heck out of the car. One buick Centruy that the time belt went out on (zero tolerance engine) on that one. I bought an 88 celebrity for $300.00 and it lasted four years and had over 300,00 miles on it. traded it and got my 91 Corsica . that had only 67,000 miles on it. (I bought the celebrity in 2009 and the Corsica which replaced it in 2013.

ow many of those cars you've owned were bought new by you?

Most were used cars, but the 84 new port I got in 87 didn't even have it a year! as with the Omni it was less than a year after buying it Used. But as I say they were all Used but New cars to me. I never owned one like it before that is. My Corsica has had the Computer replaced, that cost less than 80.00 Not bad for a computer to last that long, the starter again it was the factory part, and the heater core replaced. But the car has never left me on the side of the road! GM's problems will end and then some other automaker's will start. from Ford to Toyota back to ford and on to GM. Intresting fact The For pinto 1971-1980 had 27 deaths related to the gas tank fire's That makes GM"s 13 look better.

Edited by ranma

So all the cars that broke down on you were used cars. That explains everything.

1. No way to know how the previous owners treated them.

2. No way to know how you treated them. The list of problems you had is not typical. You had major breakdowns with just about every car you listed... sounds to me like the problem might be the way you drive or maintain your cars more than the cars themselves.

Since all your problems were with used cars, there's no way your comments relate to new GM cars or how reliable/unreliable a new GM car is.

talking about vegas and pintos being junk doesn't count .there wasn't a good car in the whole bunch of the millions made back then,any manufacturer

I recently read that 10 % of ALL cars made are soooo bad they should be outright replaced just like a lemon fridge or vacuum would be.bottom line is they don't care.The most profit come from the service end and up selling options.People are also blinded by brand loyalty.As Harry said the fact is they chose to do nothing. Did GM get fined by congress for doing nothing just like Toyota got fined for lying????