Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

On 8/5/2018 at 9:09 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

I got up this morning. Today is the 4 year anniversary of my heart attack.  After being told by the ER doctor that they didn't expect me to survive I am am truly greatful for every day.

I am glad to hear about your news, Bob.  I hope you have many more years. 

I had a heart attack twelve years ago.  It was my LAD artery (the widow maker) that was clogged.  Mine was not near as severe as yours, but it was an eye opener, since I was only 45.

Got the rest of the stitches out and got rid of the big, old, walking boot. All the big wrap is off the foot and has been replaced with a simple elastic wrap with a removeable rigid splint. Instead of the boot I've now got a much smaller walking "shoe" to wear around the house. I'm supposed to still lay up here in the house, but if something comes up where I absolutely have to go out I'm supposed to put the big boot back on. Doc said to expect some bruising and a lot of swelling each time I try to walk on it.

But hey, it's a whole lot better than it was!

Going to the docs today to get an evaluation on a problem that I had back in June and had to make two trips to the ER in a weeks time. Doc looked at my CAT scan CD and said that I was good to go and NO surgery. YAY!!! Just have to have the scan done every year to keep the problem in check. That is good news.

:o , worked around a lot of cranes , both using and running them , over 40 years experience , never understood how this happens . Someone wasn't paying attention to what they were supposed to be doing , understanding load limits and how they change the farther you get from your base , you have to be able to tell when it's getting  dangerous and say no , can't do that . 

Or was this equipment failure , I don't see the end of the outrigger , did it fail , or the ground collapse ?

Glad no one was injured badly .

Edited by oldnslow

My dad was a union equipment operator for over 40 years. He only had one bad experience in his career. After that one, he never hesitated to tell a job foreman or company owner that he refused to make an unsafe lift (pick). He was extremely well respected by all the laborers, carpenters, and other tradesman. They all knew they could trust him and his judgement. He was key man about the last 25 years of his career. Wouldn't go out for any other company.

By the way, that is a cherry picker, isn't it?

OK. Yep, that operator should have had a much better feel for the rig than he apparently did. Just be thankful there weren't casualties or a bunch of really serious injuries. That's not to say a broken bone isn't serious. Just that it could have been much worse.

9 hours ago, smhardesty said:

My dad was a union equipment operator for over 40 years. He only had one bad experience in his career. After that one, he never hesitated to tell a job foreman or company owner that he refused to make an unsafe lift (pick). He was extremely well respected by all the laborers, carpenters, and other tradesman. They all knew they could trust him and his judgement. He was key man about the last 25 years of his career. Wouldn't go out for any other company.

By the way, that is a cherry picker, isn't it?

A union equipment operator, good for your dad and maybe I even worked with him at one time or another as our trade (Sheet Metal Workers) employed cranes many times and even helicopters to make picks.

12 hours ago, smhardesty said:

Dad worked out of Local 841 in Terre Haute, IN. He worked mainly south of Effingham, IL the last 25 or so years he worked, but did work north of that the first 15 years.

Well then, I guess I  didn't work with your dad as I usually don't go that far south for a vacation, let alone work.

It's been a while since I've been at the bench. Over a week. But today, the family went out and I had pretty much all afternoon to play with plastic. Started a new project, my first attempt at doing real modification. Lots of cutting, measuring, etc. Felt good!

Six years ago, the area had an animal adoption event know as My Furry Valentine where shelters/rescues (some over an hour away) brought their animals to a suburban convention center for a common cause...finding homes.  Although it's usually on Valentines weekend, they are seeing what happens if they go twice a year......

From thier Facebook page.....

We are so happy for all the dogs and cats that went home in the arms of their new families on Day One of our My Furry Valentine Summer Event, including more than 300 adoptions, and our 5000th adoption since 2012!

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

Six years ago, the area had an animal adoption event know as My Furry Valentine where shelters/rescues (some over an hour away) brought their animals to a suburban convention center for a common cause...finding homes.  Although it's usually on Valentines weekend, they are seeing what happens if they go twice a year......

From thier Facebook page.....

We are so happy for all the dogs and cats that went home in the arms of their new families on Day One of our My Furry Valentine Summer Event, including more than 300 adoptions, and our 5000th adoption since 2012!

Great to see this happening. My local shelter had an adoption event yesterday and waived all fees. Girlfriend wanted to go ( just to look) but I know how she is. Lost one of my dogs at the end of June, still have three and several outside cats we feed plus three guinea pigs. Plan on moving at the end of November so better to wait as many places have restrictions on number, size or breed.

I wish some of the shelters near us would consider an event with the fee waived or at least reduced. A couple of the places now have fees well over $100. One of them is now at $140. That prevents a lot of families from even considering an adoption. We got our little Chihuahua from a shelter 8 years ago and I paid just under $100 back then. We would probably at least consider a second dog if they reduced or waived the fee.

1 hour ago, smhardesty said:

I wish some of the shelters near us would consider an event with the fee waived or at least reduced. A couple of the places now have fees well over $100. One of them is now at $140. That prevents a lot of families from even considering an adoption. We got our little Chihuahua from a shelter 8 years ago and I paid just under $100 back then. We would probably at least consider a second dog if they reduced or waived the fee.

You might contact the shelters with this suggestion. Should be easy to find statistics on other shelters success. Although $100.00 is not unreasonable for the vet care they get, no fee or low fee does help animals find forever homes plus frees up space and money for the shelters to help other animals. Also if you are able to donate, check with your local shelter to see what they can use. You can pick up a bag of food or maybe some dog toys. We donate when we can afford to. The number of people willing to donate is far more important than the size of the donation. Every little bit helps.

The adoption fee is not that bad IMO the adoption center needs money to keep doing it's good work. I learned this while I worked at Petco. Also The bigger bill would be if the adopted animal was ever to need medical care. Been to a vet lately ? A vet bill for even something simple can be at least 100 bucks. My cats would get UTI once in a while and that was normally about 130 for exam and shot and medicine. One cat once needed blood work and when all said and done was just over 300 bucks.

It doesn't make sense for any shelter to charge fees of $100 or more, then go on local TV or newspapers and sing a sad song about having to put animals down because no one is adopting. I fully understand the vet's bill, but some of these shelters immediately ship the animal to the vet for a complete checkup, shots, and embedded "chips". Then because of high fees, no one wants to adopt, then the shelter puts the animal down. It seems to me if the shelters lowered the fee they would then get more adoptions, gain much needed cash flow, and ultimately put fewer animals down. What good does it do a shelter, or any business, to set prices really high, then not sell anything? Cut the prices (fees) in half and see how much business is generated. After all, 100% of nothing is nothing.

Some shelters care more than others.  One of the dogs we have, we went in and filled out the paperwork.  We were approved and had to get her later in the week from their vet after she had been fixed.  Another one, we had to bring out the other three dogs to see how the potential fourth dog got along with the current threesome on semi-neutral ground.  That helps cut down on the chances of an animal being returned.  However, they didn't take just a few minutes to cut the badly overgrown fur off his butt so he could 'drop some friends' and not have skidmarks in his far.   My Aussie came from a shelter that used the foster system as they didn't have a location equipped to handle dogs.

If I travel out of town for a model show, I raid thrift stores and rummage sales for crates, cages, towels and other things that rescues and shelters can use but don't always have the $$ for.  If I can drop $10 for lunch or $20 on a kit, I can give back to the folks that take care of our furry friends. 

Final tally from the event......Thank you adopters. Because of you, 455 animals found heir furever homes this weekend.  Not bad for a first time event (the winter event is six years old....this was the first try in the summer).