Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another car never kitted, much less mentioned

Ah, you had to go and mention Crosley. Love Crosleys. Been a member of the local Crosley club for years now. Great meetings. We sometimes even talk about Crosleys. We always talk about cars.

Two I'd love to see as kits are the Hot Shot and the Farm-O-Road. The Hot Shot and Super Sport are basically the same car. The Super Sport has a higher level of trim, and doors. I feel the doors take away from the fun of driving Crosley's wonderful little sport car. So, I'm not as big of a fan of the Super Sport, as I am of the Hot Shot. By the away, fun cars to drive. As long as you know how to double clutch.

post-10661-0-82681000-1409633673_thumb.j

post-10661-0-08263400-1409633686_thumb.j

post-10661-0-65439300-1409633702.jpg

I love the the picture of Ma, Pa, and kids going to town in the Farm-O-Road. Crosley had several photos of that couple in their brochures and promotional materials. Some pictures they are seen driving with older kids. But, always with Ma in the back seat. And Ma looks like she could be a mean old cuss. Some photos show Pa looking like he's just waiting for Ma to whack him in the back of head. He doesn't look too happy, at least. The most truthful looking adverting couple I've ever seen. No fancy models driving a Farm-O-Road. No sir. Only real people.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Yup. As with any successful business, it's about return on investment. If it was solely about satisfying all modelers at all times, heck, we might see one of these:1920px-Freestone_King_Midget_zps9914830d

Hey... Don't start comparing Crosley's to King Midgets. I like King Midgets. But, they make Crosleys look big and luxurious. And that's the only way you'll see Crosleys as "big and luxurious".

Scott

My father actually owns a '47 Crosley- a wagon which was converted to a roadster pickup sometime in the '70's and used as a golf cart.

He tried to buy a clapped out wagon which used to sit out behind a service station, in order to get parts to convert his back to a wagon, but the owner refused to sell it for whatever reason. The car literally rusted away where it stood- it was hauled off sometime in the late '80's.

The thing that always intrigued me most about the Crosley was the early oven-brazed sheet-metal engine. Fascinating little powerplant.

The COBRA motor. You can pickup one up with one hand. Bad motor with the coolants used at the time. Pretty good with modern anti-freezes. The replacement cast iron version was called the CIBA. Both motors were 44 cubic inches. And in stock form put out 26.5 horsepower. They can be modified to put out much more than that. The engine was built for years after Crosley quit building cars. Thermo King used them for years to run the refrigeration units on refrigerated trailers. There was also a BearCat (?) outboard motor that was power by the same engine.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Did Crosley do little gas powered work carts for places like convention centers, or was it Bantam? When doing stuff for either selling things via my store during or helping tear down the rock crawler club's portable course after the I Hobby show when it was at The Donald E. Stephens Center in Rosemont, I saw the different Union Foremen race around the convention center (and had to dodge a few of them) to keep an eye on things, and I think they were Crosleys!

Edited by Joe Handley

Crosley's COBRA engine was designed right at the outset of World War II in 1940 or thereabouts, for the US Army, to power radio controlled target drones for use in training anti-aircraft gunners. In that role, the COBRA 4-cyl engine performed very well, given that the engines generally used either plain water or water/ethylene glycol coolant.

Where the COBRA ran into trouble was when it was installed in passenger cars, in the days before modern antifreeze compounds came along. Back in those days, most people used methyl alcohol (wood alcohol) to mix into the radiator water for use as antifreeze, and methanol is very corrosive to metals, even iron and steel, compared to even plain water.

As for the "Why hasn't any model company produced a kit of [fill in any marque here]", consider that with just American makes of cars, more than 1500 different makes of automobiles have been produced in the US since the Duryea Brothers pushed their first production automobile out the factory door in 1895 (just over 500 makes of cars built in Indiana over those years alone). Many, if not a majority of those makes are all but unknown today; with no examples left in existence. That sort of rarity, of obscurity would I think, make any kit of such cars a pretty hard sell. Even the Crosley would be a tough sell, if for no other rreason than its size, which in 1/25 scale would be about the length and width of a 1:43rd scale model of a fairly large automobile.

That said, it would be cool to have a styrene kit of any year Crosley!

Art

Did Crosley do little gas powered work carts for places like convention centers, or was it Bantam? When doing stuff for either selling things via my store during or helping tear down the rock crawler club's portable course after the I Hobby show when it was at The Donald E. Stephens Center in Rosemont, I saw the different Union Foremen race around the convention center (and had to dodge a few of them) to keep an eye on things, and I think they were Crosleys!

The Crosley engine and chassis was adapted for a number of uses. I'm not sure about about the vehicle at the convention center, but I have seen a Crosley-powered fork truck, and I know of some "tugs" used to move aircraft around on aircraft carriers. In addition to my Corvair addiction, I also owned some Crosleys over the years, one of which was a golf cart. ;-)

I have a resin kit of the Crosley, but the quality is not very good. I think that "Star Resin" still lists a resin Crosley or two in its catalog.

A few years ago, U.S. Model Mint released an excellent white metal replica of the '51 Crosley Wagon in 1/43 scale, which is probably the best model we'll ever see of the Crosley.

I, too, wish we had a styrene plastic kit of any year or variation of the Crosley, but I just don't see it happening....