Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buying ugly buildups

No i dont think i will be restoring this car .

I'm not into that particular make and model but if I were, there's MORE than enough there for me to do SOMETHING with. If you're not interested in it, I'll bet you can find someone who is who would trade you something you want for it. B)

G,day , i got a box of model trucks and it had bits and peices in the bottom and sitting under all this was this .

No i dont think i will be restoring this car .

If you ever want to get rid of it Mark, let me know. That one would be a challenge!

Edited by plowboy

Some european cars. These are more or less taken apart.

010-1.jpg

When the time comes Tommy, I have the correct front buckets for your Maserati if you would want them. I also have the tail lights and most of the engine. That's about all I have left of mine. I scored a mint kit a couple of years ago.

When the time comes Tommy, I have the correct front buckets for your Maserati if you would want them. I also have the tail lights and most of the engine. That's about all I have left of mine. I scored a mint kit a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the offer Roger,i appriciate it. Not sure where this is going,but have historic racer in mind.

Some definitions ---

MVC012S-vi.jpg

Above- Some dirty old built ups. Nothing historically significant. No paint, parts missing and parts broken from play time. Historic models that have never been reissued. Great resto candidates.

DSC00005-vi.jpg

One step up the totem pole... some old T-Birds built by a kid many years ago. Brush paint, no significant detailing. Old annuals. Again, great resto candidates.

Mvc001s-vi.jpg

Not worth restoring - ten coats of varied color of brush paint. Flocked roof. When I did soak the body out of curiosity, I found that the roof had been smashed and badly glued back together. Not worth restoring since this kit has been reissued over and over and you can buy a fresh clean unbuilt for $10-20 depending on your market.

DSC00313-vi.jpg

MVC005S-vi.jpg

MVC001F-vi.jpg

orange_roof-vi.jpg

fury_roof-vi.jpg

MVC008S-vi.jpg

The above six images are called "Folk Art", priceless relics of our youth. Very cool examples of the contemporary build at the time. Some of these were probably entered in the local hobby shop contests. Somehow these have survived intact some 50 years. The sad part is a good number of modelers confuse these with "Ugly Builds" and gleefully pull apart all this history!

OK guys this stuff is way way cool I also collect old builds I love um there are a part of our modeling history. I don't restore them.just clean them up put them on the shelf a stair at them imagining what it was like building model cars back in the early 60's . They are so cool! I just missed it I started building around 1967 I was a whole 9 years old, been building ever since.I'll post some as soon as I can talk my wife into showing me how to do it as I am very very posting challenged. Thanks for posting the pics. guys and keep um coming.

Here are a few of the ones I have.

KGrHqRl4E1F33MKkBNgf7uK1_12_zpsdc41b6cb.

KGrHqIOKiQE1UQmcSBNgfYb7Hq_12_zps2e92983

All I have done on these is replace incorrect rims and fix loose fit of bumpers/grills and body-chassis

These are AMT 1/43 scale kits. I got these in the 2 lots as shown.

AMT 59 Thunderbird. I have not done Anything to her yet!

Bird-Rs.jpg

I have several AMT/MPC 67-72 Chevy Pickup kits purchased as Builts/parts

My most recent is a 60 El Camino

Love those Old Built ups/parts lots.

They do occasionally go Cheap!!

Some of my recent acquisitions:

Given to me by a good friend who built all of these when new.

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

Found at a flea market for cheap.

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

I thought the steering wheel and separate head rests were strange.

IMAG0114.jpg

In the batch I also got an old Chevelle painted dark brown and a Mustang racecar.

Maybe pics of them later.

Later-

I got the JoHan S&M Cuda off ebay complete with cut out door & wheels turned by bending a steel axle Great parts though for other builds

SAM_0287_zpsed69438e.jpg

You know what I'd do with that body? I'd go ahead and cut the roof at the rear of the doors, too, and graft it onto a Revell 2nd try '70 AAR Cuda kit and build a nice AAR Cuda. Everything wrong with that body is from the door lines back, and this would fix it all,

Edited by Snake45