Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck Kits You've Scored Recently

Wait a sec.  You picked the 1/43 Peterbilt up at a LHS?  Are they being reissued, or was this from a collection?

He had a bunch of older kits on the shelves along with some new stuff. He also had an Aeromax, some old amt Nascar van trailers, ALF fire trucks, and tons of planes, armor, and cars. It was a nice mixture of old and new. 

Not a kit but model truck related. I just got a book off of ebay, sort of a parts manual for tractor and heavy truck engines of the late 1920s to the early 1940s. Specs and drawings / photos of the engines plus an application guide (which truck brands use which engines).

It includes gasoline and diesel engines from Allis Chalmers, Autocar, Buda, Case, Caterpillar, Chevrolet / GMC, Continental, Cummins, Dodge, Ford, Fordson, Hercules, International, John Deere, Mack, Massey-Harris, Lycoming, REO, Studebaker, Waukesha, White, and Wisconsin. These things never have enough drawings / diagrams / photos but well worth the $30 I paid. It must be 400-500 pages (it is about 2" thick with a nice spiral binding) and smells like an old machine shop.

Edited by Aaronw

It has a copyright of 1942, and I think it is original. It is in great shape for a 73 year old book somebody took care of it. Sadly it is probably from the estate of some old mechanic, but I'll give it a good home. The spiral binding makes it easy to scan if anybody is looking for something specific. Looks like it covers engines manufactured between 1927 and 1941.

Picked this up at a local show for $30 just before Thanksgiving.

2015-12-01%2011.02.14_zps7juozoli.jpg

Should be an interesting build when I ever get to it! :lol:

I posted a walk around of a similar dump back in April when ever you get to this one

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/100746-1926-mack-ac-dump-truck-just-like-the-monogram-kit/

One thing I noticed is the kit appears to have some sort of hydraulic lift mechanism, the 1-1 I got photos of has a cable and pully mechanism behind the cab to tip the dump body.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally,  I got my 1st truck kit today, actually I ordered and received 3 kits today.  I just came back from customs, didn't have to pay the full 19% retail, only 15% as I told them the box was toys, and it's a gift to me. 

Anyway, I just opened the AMT California Hauler, the Diamond Reo and the White COE.  I'll probably do the 359 first since it'll take customizing better than the Diamond Reo, at least I think so.  I don't want the DR to look like a Peterbilt later on.

Man, these kits are scary!  I think they're intimidating.  The parts are huge.  I've never seen a 1:25 truck before.  The plan was to do my usual thing, casting lots of parts in metal, scratch building a few things (leaf springs and front axle so it'll turn, metal motor and so forth.  I'm not sure now. 

A rough calculation shows this tractor when finished as being very heavy.  The metal parts weigh 10 times what the plastic ones do. Judging from the mass and size of the motor and wheels, this will be a serious project.

On the other hand, since I've done a couple of my cars with metal parts and see what  metal does to enhance the models,  I'm thinking maybe just do it.  Go for it.  We'll see.

Instead of ordering metal at 1/4 lb. quantities, maybe the 2 lb. package will do for a start at least.

Finally,  I got my 1st truck kit today, actually I ordered and received 3 kits today.  I just came back from customs, didn't have to pay the full 19% retail, only 15% as I told them the box was toys, and it's a gift to me. 

Anyway, I just opened the AMT California Hauler, the Diamond Reo and the White COE.  I'll probably do the 359 first since it'll take customizing better than the Diamond Reo, at least I think so.  I don't want the DR to look like a Peterbilt later on.

Man, these kits are scary!  I think they're intimidating.  The parts are huge.  I've never seen a 1:25 truck before.  The plan was to do my usual thing, casting lots of parts in metal, scratch building a few things (leaf springs and front axle so it'll turn, metal motor and so forth.  I'm not sure now. 

A rough calculation shows this tractor when finished as being very heavy.  The metal parts weigh 10 times what the plastic ones do. Judging from the mass and size of the motor and wheels, this will be a serious project.

On the other hand, since I've done a couple of my cars with metal parts and see what  metal does to enhance the models,  I'm thinking maybe just do it.  Go for it.  We'll see.

Instead of ordering metal at 1/4 lb. quantities, maybe the 2 lb. package will do for a start at least.

Great choices of kits. Yes I see how they can look intimidating at first. The best advice I ever got about building rigs was - find a big table or bench to work at. At least with the 1st. And when you have a Q ask, some one will know. Clayton is a great wealth of knowledge.

I too would like to welcome you to the dark side. Clear lots of space on the shelf!

Jonathan

Clayton,  the dark side, lol!  I think you're right.  No looking back now, I've already zeroed in on the Peterbilt.

Thanks Jonathon!  I think I'll need a real big bench, or at least keep my present one in more of an orderly condition.  Thanks for the welcome too.  Hey, I'm thinking my existing shelf will need some bracing underneath it!

I'm excited, a totally new field for me.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Trucks are just big, ain't nothing puny or small on a big tractor.  I'll just open the box and take another look.

Michael

Clayton,  the dark side, lol!  I think you're right.  No looking back now, I've already zeroed in on the Peterbilt.

Thanks Jonathon!  I think I'll need a real big bench, or at least keep my present one in more of an orderly condition.  Thanks for the welcome too.  Hey, I'm thinking my existing shelf will need some bracing underneath it!

I'm excited, a totally new field for me.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Trucks are just big, ain't nothing puny or small on a big tractor.  I'll just open the box and take another look.

Michael

Im excited for you. Truck models open up a plethora of possibilities. With just those three kits, you can reconfigure them in many ways. You cant really do anything "wrong" with a truck model, because more than likely someone did something even weirder in reality. Wheels, fuel tanks, engines, sleepers, wrecker/dump/mixer bodies can all be swapped around however you want. Welcome to an obsession! 

Thanks Terry, I understand what you mean.  I feel like a kid again, all wide-eyed and grinning while looking what's under the Christmas Tree.  I'm already thinking, this tank I'll make shiny aluminum, the air tanks brushed aluminum, I checked out my supply of wires for the lines.....man, I'm liking this already!   I've gotten some really great tips and lots of pics here on the forum, so I think I'm slowly sorting out lots of questions that I had previously.

I think the wheels look so good in these kits maybe I'll just leave them be as they are for now.  Lots of possibilities, and I'm still grinning and smiling.  I like this.

Thanks for the support.

Thanks Terry, I understand what you mean.  I feel like a kid again, all wide-eyed and grinning while looking what's under the Christmas Tree.  I'm already thinking, this tank I'll make shiny aluminum, the air tanks brushed aluminum, I checked out my supply of wires for the lines.....man, I'm liking this already!   I've gotten some really great tips and lots of pics here on the forum, so I think I'm slowly sorting out lots of questions that I had previously.

I think the wheels look so good in these kits maybe I'll just leave them be as they are for now.  Lots of possibilities, and I'm still grinning and smiling.  I like this.

Thanks for the support.

I know you'll enjoy this side of building :D. There's a great bunch of knowledgeable people here that are always willing to help. Terry summed it up quite well: "You can't really do anything "wrong" with a truck model, because more than likely someone did something even weirder in reality. Wheels, fuel tanks, engines, sleepers, wrecker/dump/mixer bodies can all be swapped around however you want. Welcome to an obsession!" 

Thanks Dennis, I especially like the phrase "more than likely someone did something even weirder in reality"....LOL.  This makes me happy.  I had to ask here a couple of weeks back what kind of mods are done so a rookie understands.  I got some good insight and have been able to spot a bunch of mods and I have a couple of things in mind for the 359, I'm real up about this deal.

Another thing that hits me too, the detailing on this Round 2 kit seems to be better than what I expected.  I was waiting for a split body shell, none of the three kits are split and there is no flash.  The parts look really nice, I was expecting worse and this is a pleasant surprise.

I think I'll start it today.  Thanks for dropping by and the support.

Two trucks in one box?  That's a great price.  I've been wanting to try my hand at these 1/43 trucks one of these days, but when I do find them they're more expensive than the 1/25 trucks! :blink:  Go figure.

That is because they are so close to "O gauge"  and model railroaders have deeper pockets ;)