Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Ford Del Rio Ranch Wagon 2'n'1

Matt T.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one. I will open it up in a couple of minutes, but I won't have the camera card until later tonight. I am going to go ahead and take it straight to the bench, but it will have to move over when my pickups get here. I will go ahead and get a thread on the workbench forum this evening. I need to figure out if I can make it stock with the paints I have on hand, or if I should just let my hair down (so to speak) and build a street machine so I can paint it a non stock color. (I have a couple of bright ones picked out!)

Hobby Lobby resets their inventory twice a year, at least in the model kit section of stores in my area. One such reset takes place in mid-winter, another in June/July. The first phase (discounting kits that won't be stocked again after the reset) has started. Right now, it looks like the Revell Roth '57 Chevy, Revell '37 Ford coupe, Revell custom '50 Olds, AMT '58 Plymouth, AMT '60 Ranchero, AMT '69 Chevelle convertible, and '70-1/2 Baldwin-Motion Camaro (among others) are "out". Not necessarily discontinued by the manufacturers, but just won't be on the shelves there anymore. New data stickers yet to be added to the shelves will indicate what will be "in". I'd almost bet on the Revell Ford wagon and the MPC '79 Trans Am, probably the Revell Starsky and Hutch Torino whenever that one touches down...

Edited by Mark

We have big decision problems in this hobby these days! And that's a good thing.

Yep. I will take the pickup kits in my right hand, and use the left hand to brush all of the current contents of the bench onto the floor, hence what a couple people up here refer to as a "Sweep the bench" model. Then I need to get them done by the time the '61 Pontiac gets here... Then I need to make room for the '29 A roadster, and somewhere along the way, I need to fit in the '48 Chevy coupe...

I am faced with a dilemma. If I quit working, I'll have time to build them all, but I won't be able to afford them all. It's a catch 22.

Good times.

BTW, the Del Rio looks pretty nice for about a two minute lookover. I like the interior. I don't see any gigantic warts in the body, and the rear bumper is plain! I think I might stick some wider tires, better wheels and zippier motor in it and paint it in a much brighter color, or a two tone. I will dig into it more this evening.

.... the Del Rio looks pretty nice for about a two minute lookover. I like the interior. I don't see any gigantic warts in the body, and the rear bumper is plain! I think I might stick some wider tires, better wheels and zippier motor in it and paint it in a much brighter color, or a two tone. I will dig into it more this evening.

WOOT :D

Wife was with me as I was looking for the trucks, and picked this one up. Asked if I had this one, nope, but if they dont have the truck then thats what I want. Worker said thats the first one out the door, I thought they had been out for awhile. lol.

Lots of grief gets dished out to Revell on a lot of issues, but gotta give them credit for supplying an appropriate bumper on this one. Who knows if they planned it all along, or if they actually took some constructive criticism to heart.

At least now we won't have holes punched in our 1/25th tailgates ;)

Lots of grief gets dished out to Revell on a lot of issues, but gotta give them credit for supplying an appropriate bumper on this one. Who knows if they planned it all along, or if they actually took some constructive criticism to heart.

The model manufacturers take a lot of grief from an over demanding, but clueless group of modelers. Those of us who do understand that R/M, and Round 2 are working with a staff hovering at around 10 people, and at Moebius it's pretty much just Dave, are amazed at what they accomplish.

The model manufacturers take a lot of grief from an over demanding, but clueless group of modelers. Those of us who do understand that R/M, and Round 2 are working with a staff hovering at around 10 people, and at Moebius it's pretty much just Dave, are amazed at what they accomplish.

I'll gladly take whatever you call "clueless" as a badge of honor, Geiger. That very inability to resist another personal dig PROVES that if it riles the likes of you, it must be right.

:D

Removing the rear bumper guards instead of correcting them kinda bugs me..

.(now if they'd removed the fronts to match,that would've been fine with me)

.but including the supercharger parts makes up for it....almost.

I bought one and look forward to building it...even with the "incorrect" deletion of the rear guards.

Edited by mike 51

Chuck Kourouklis, on 21 Jun 2015 - 7:15 PM, said:snapback.png

I'll gladly take whatever you call "clueless" as a badge of honor, Geiger. That very inability to resist another personal dig PROVES that if it riles the likes of you, it must be right.

:D

:D :D

Edited by martinfan5

Removing the rear bumper guards instead of correcting them kinda bugs me..

.(now if they'd removed the fronts to match,that would've been fine with me)

.but including the supercharger parts makes up for it....almost.

I bought one and look forward to building it...even with the "incorrect" deletion of the rear guards.

OK, maybe I was being a bit presumptuous when I stated that they included an "appropriate rear bumper". But, do you know for a fact that their removal of the rear bumper guards was incorrect? Back in the fifties bumper guards were optional on most cars, and often the rear guards were a separate option from the fronts.

This isn't a rhetorical question - I'm actually asking if anyone knows for a fact whether or not this is correct. I'm not familiar enough with '57 Fords to know, so I need to plead ignorance on this one. Also need to keep in mind that this model depicts the higher line Del Rio trim level. Were bumper guards possibly standard on those, even if they were optional on the low line Ranch Wagon?

I will say this: after doing a quick Google image search for "1957 Ford Wagon", easily 90% of the cars pictured DO have rear bumper guards, and almost all the ones I spotted without seemed to be customized. So, in order to build a "typical" factory stock '57 wagon, it seems like guards should be included.

One final thought: I don't see that anyone has posted pictures of their kit contents yet, much less a complete review. Even if the bumper itself is plain, is there any chance that the correct guards are included, as separate pieces? That's what AMT did on their Trophy Series '56 Ford, so it is conceivable. Can anyone with the kit in hand confirm?

Gotta admit, I personally plan to get one of these puppies, regardless of the rear bumper.

Chuck, it's been explained to both you and the Ace-Bandage guy over and over, by the industry and hobbies best experts... most recently by Tim Boyd in the new Model A thread... there's a certain amount of detail and accuracy you get at a certain price point, and at the staffing levels the model companies can afford to hire. He also explained the damage that is done to the manufacturers with such behavior. Done and over with.

You, Bill and a few vocal others do the hobby no favor. Beating every new issue to death, even before it ever hits the shelves causes damage to the manufacturers, this board, the magazine and the hobby overall. You do so for no reason other than to beat your own drums, for whatever satisfaction you derive from being board bullies, and pretending to be most astute and smarter than everyone else, with no thought whatsoever of the consequences of your actions to the hobby at large.

Edited by Tom Geiger

OK, maybe I was being a bit presumptuous when I stated that they included an "appropriate rear bumper". But, do you know for a fact that their removal of the rear bumper guards was incorrect? Back in the fifties bumper guards were optional on most cars, and often the rear guards were a separate option from the fronts.

This isn't a rhetorical question - I'm actually asking if anyone knows for a fact whether or not this is correct. I'm not familiar enough with '57 Fords to know, so I need to plead ignorance on this one. Also need to keep in mind that this model depicts the higher line Del Rio trim level. Were bumper guards possibly standard on those, even if they were optional on the low line Ranch Wagon?

I will say this: after doing a quick Google image search for "1957 Ford Wagon", easily 90% of the cars pictured DO have rear bumper guards, and almost all the ones I spotted without seemed to be customized. So, in order to build a "typical" factory stock '57 wagon, it seems like guards should be included.

One final thought: I don't see that anyone has posted pictures of their kit contents yet, much less a complete review. Even if the bumper itself is plain, is there any chance that the correct guards are included, as separate pieces? That's what AMT did on their Trophy Series '56 Ford, so it is conceivable. Can anyone with the kit in hand confirm?

Gotta admit, I personally plan to get one of these puppies, regardless of the rear bumper.

The rear bumper guards do two things...they "guard" the back of the car AND they provide a place to mount the lights that illuminate the lic. plate. Google 57 ford wagon rear bumper guards. I believe there was also a third style that were used on Rancheros.

So ALL 57 Fords had to have rear plates that had to be illuminated so they all had bumper guards

(except top of the line Fairlanes which did it another way)....

I have the kit,so I'm not "guessing", there are no bumper guards in the box.

Edited by mike 51

post-972-0-94537400-1434947965_thumb.jpg

:lol: poor Tom. It's gotta be tough being him.

Get well soon Tom.

Chuck, it's been explained to both you and the Ace-Bandage guy over and over, by the industry and hobbies best experts... most recently by Tim Boyd in the new Model A thread... there's a certain amount of detail and accuracy you get at a certain price point, and at the staffing levels the model companies can afford to hire. He also explained the damage that is done to the manufacturers with such behavior. Done and over with.

You, Bill and a few vocal others do the hobby no favor. Beating every new issue to death, even before it ever hits the shelves causes damage to the manufacturers, this board, the magazine and the hobby overall. You do so for no reason other than to beat your own drums, for whatever satisfaction you derive from being board bullies, and pretending to be most astute and smarter than everyone else, with no thought whatsoever of the consequences of your actions to the hobby at large.

"Ace Bandage Guy"? And you wanna talk about who's a bully?

Now why don't you explain this "damage" we're doing to the hobby? Revell follows its own MO no matter what anybody says, and despite what appears on any message board, it sells what it's gonna sell, and people buy what they're gonna buy.

You really mean to accuse us of sabotaging Revell's sales of that '31 this far in advance? Do you really think Revell is gonna be better off if people buy the kit and find out on their own? Or if Revell somehow offers previews without anyone commenting on the images? Does the raging absence of logic in that scenario really get past you? If there's gas in the mine, there's gas in the mine, and no effort to make it all about the canaries is going to change that.

And I got a nearly 20-year track record on congratulating Revell nationally for what they do well, btw. Was anything you ever wrote used by Revell for promotion? 'Cause my conclusion about their '64 Impala kit from 2000 was, and that's far from the last good published review I've given a Revell product. But that all doesn't suit your little funhouse mirror assessment of anybody who'd dare point out a problem, does it?

The only one beating anything to death is you with all your pious pronouncements about how anyone who isn't the perfect manufacturer toady is a traitor to the hobby, and your magical-Kresken mind-reading of everybody's motives.

Key difference between you and me? I know you're one of the prime drivers of one the biggest car modeling events in the country, and despite your fine little character assassination - and as arrogant as I knowingly get in response to some of the tripe I see - I still can't quite bring myself to the blind, unreasoning hubris necessary for any high and mighty judgments on whatever good you do or don't for the hobby.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis