Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 'Super Boss' Barracuda Funny Car! Update! #16: 3/23/15

Speedfreak

:lol: Maybe someday I'll turn one out, I don't know if this is it though. I'll give it my best shot. Carl, yer the best man.

Oh, I got a question for Tim Boyd, or , anyone that knows. Tim said earlier in this thread that the distributor was in the wrong, or , wierd place for this engine, (Second generation 426 Hemi) so where is it suppossed to be? In front on the left side if you're looking at it from the front? I know, I'll Google 'second generation Hemi!

Like so,.......

1966-street-hemi_zpsy0u2ymda.jpg

Edited by Speedfreak

Bill, does the distributor go through the 'block', or , the manifold, and , 'then' the block? Just so I know how I should mount it. In the picture it looks like it goes straight into the block, but , it's kind of hard to tell 'cause it's 'so' orange.

Edited by Speedfreak

So is the distributor hole that 'huge' hole? 'Cause the picture I put up the round part coming out of the bottom of the distributor only looks to be a couple of inches round, there must then be a 'base' of some sort that fits in and fills up that hole? Which I'm not worried about, as the distributor in the kit just has the tube thing coming out of the bottom, I just want to get the placement correct. But, I love this engine stuff.

Thanks Bill and Stu.

It is Carl, right now I'm almost done removing the mold seams on the steering wheel, then I drill the holes out on the spokes. I might be able to paint the interior tub tomorrow :unsure: I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the Line -O- Tape today, man that stuff is skinny! It's the right size though. Silver would work, but , I'm leaning towards red for the pinstripe, I should have those decals in a day, or , two. Thanks for checking in Carl, your words are always appreciated. :D

Ok, an actual update. The interior tub and components have been prepped and are ready for painting! Which, I should be able to accomplish over the next three days because the weather will be right. My next project will be getting the frame right; The inside rail seems to be pushed forward on the drivers side after the midway point going forward, then at the front it straightens out again, I know that sounds weird. I'm posting a picture of it, hopefully it shows to some degree anyway what I'm referring to. This is the Chezooom frame as the original frame was even worse, a structural bog. I also need to take some width off the passenger side as it's wider than the drivers side, not sure what else I'll need to do. No wonder I've read in some older posts that this frame doesn't fit!

The pinstripe decals from MicroScale arrived today and are 'very' nice indeed. My friend Ace was correct though, it's going to be the black, and , not red, or , silver.

Also, on the list of goodies is an aluminum tach from Detail Master, (very cool!) and , a B & M shifter for the Hydro-Automatic from M.A.D. (Thanks for the tip Carl!) I've seen shifters like the one in the kit on B & M Hydro's, but , this one looks cooler, I hope it's period correct, I think it is. I'll post pics of it when I get it.

I think that pretty much covers it, in the next few days this car should be shaping up, then I get to work on the stance. I get to paint tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Here's the starting point for the final prep: The two support pieces for the roll bar have already been done.

beforeinterior_zpsphqc6vqu.jpg

Here's what the bottom of the tub looked like mid-way through cleanup:

IMG_0839_zps5feucd4p.jpg

Here's everything prepped and ready for paint, the little bit of paint on the seat is very thin and will cover well with painting. (I forgot to put the shifter in the shot):

afterinterior_zpslzxilc5a.jpg

This shows the kit shifter and the holes drilled in the steering wheel:

steeringwheel2_zpseps1ebdn.jpg

Here's the frame, it's actually lined up on the gride on the inside drivers side:

frame1_zpspxmgzwd0.jpg

Thanks for checking in! All comments are welcome. :)

Real nice clean up on the interior Gene. I am looking forward to your interior photos as things develop. You have some nice hardware to detail the interior up right. Glad to help anytime Gene but the ideas was yours. Keep up the good work buddy.....

I don't know Carl, I think the idea for the shifter was your's my friend ;) , but , I'll take the credit if you insist, :lol::D

I can't wait to get the paint flowing later today. Right now it's 33 degrees, with snow coverage. Later this afternoon it will be in the high 50's with low humidity, not perfect conditions, but , it will work.

Once again I am perplexed as to the color of the seat, for some reason (I'm afraid all detail will be lost) I have this aversion to painting a drivers seat black, I think for this car it might be the best color.

Just a thought Gene. Paint the seat to match the body w/ black harness straps. If you're worried about the buckles being silver too, go with gold or an anodized tone.

Excellent progress on the frame and interior clean up.

(Just when you thought I wasn't looking. MWAHAHAHAHAHA !!!)

:lol: Joe, you made me laugh man! I needed that. The color of the seat is still open for debate, and I have thought about using the blue on the body, but, I'm leaning towards either black, or , white. Of much greater concern right now is the tub itself, I knew it was warped on the bottom, (45yrs of being glued to a warped frame will do that) , but , it wasn't until I did some fitment tests today after getting the frame issues resolved did I realize how bad it was. The end result was that I got the bottom of the tub flat, but , in the process I sanded off the tabs that locate it to the frame. I could use the Chezooom tub as a plate and scribe the correct position in the frame, or , I could JUST USE THE CHEZOOOM TUB! YES! That's what I'm very tempted to do anyway. I've put so much prep work into the car already that I'm ready to start making it easier on myself. Thwarted by styrene again :(

This project has taken a temporary turn south, (lol) I have now lost the glass, which means,..............................HUG to the rescue. I could just see if someone has the glass for this car, but , who knows what other parts I'm going to need before this is completed, so , I might as well have them on hand. Wow, am I learning some things about modeling on this project, yes indeed.

Edited by Speedfreak

:lol: Carl Thanks, When I said I 'lost' the glass what I meant was that the rear glass is no longer usable, (and when I posted that I thought the front too) , I can still use the front glass though. There was a stress fracture (really fine cracks fairly deep in the glass) in the upper/center of the rear glass (maybe from me taking the glass out?) just below where the glass meets the chrome trim. At first I thought it was on the surface, so , I thought I could rub it out with 3M Scratch Remover, but , it wasn't going away, the rest of the rear glass looked great! That's when I got out the buffing pad for the Dremel, whoops. After a few minutes of the Scratch Remover and the buffing pad it still wasn't going away, that's when I started to apply pressure, ( :o ) it still wasn't going away, more pressure. The area was really smooth and shiney, but,............there was also a dip in the glass that wasn't supposed to be there. (I know, you're not suppossed to apply pressure with a Dremel, I temporarily forgot this fact because I'm new to the Dremel, I won't again) I also used this same technique on one other small area, same result, so,.................................A HUG re-pop from 2004 is on the way! I should have ordered one in the beginning.

I am using the tub from the Chezooom kit, everything for the interior is painted various shades of aluminums, silvers and white, the seat is Tamiya Maroon! I'll post pics when it's finished.

The learning curve has expanded, and , I am making mistakes, (like not doing enough mock-ups for fitment) , such is life , and , so it is in modeling. :D

BTW: I've also got a AWB Mustang that's nearing completion, and , the seat is Black! Happy Modeling Carl, and , everyone!

Edited by Speedfreak

The learning curve has expanded, and , I am making mistakes, (like not doing enough mock-ups for fitment) , such is life , and , so it is in modeling. :D

Gene I have learned the hard way to test fit and mockup as much and as often as possible. You still my end up with an issue during final assembly but they will be a lot fewer.

We all make mistakes. What's that old saying in racing; If you ain't wrecking, you ain't trying.

Thanks Carl! Glad to hear your input. And , JC I appreciate that, There's a similar saying among some musicians, that goes something like, if you're not making any mistakes in your playing, you're not pushing yourself. So, wreck on baby!

When I got this kit you could barely get the frame/tub out from the body, I mean you had to bend some body panels to make it happen. I now have the frame to where with just a little twist it just drops right in, but , I still haven't tried it with the tub attached, I might want to do that soon, seeing as the body's already painted and all. B) yikes!

Edited by Speedfreak