Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has any one built their scale creations in real life

yes, kinda sorta.

I have a Revell 1968 Charger on the bench , that should be done maybe late this week or early next week .

I have a customers 1968 Charger RT in the shop , should be done this summer

the 1/1 started first,,but the model will be finished first

Both are EE1 dark Blue, with white interior 440 spd and Dana rear axle

The model kit

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98881

The real car is on my facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-High-Tech-Automotive/408528952539495

Edited by gtx6970

I'm thinkin' it's usually done the other way round. Building a model of something you have or had. :P High School 1965

I'm with you. My biggest problem being that there are no stock car model kits that exactly match those cars that I've owned, making recreating them in miniature nearly impossible.

I don't have one but I can see it... someone trying a color scheme on a model before committing to it in full scale!

There are 1:1s that were created of model cars... Tom Daniel cars like the Beer Wagon and Red Baron were built to match the models.

Did that. Back in the '70s, I built a model of how I wanted my '69 Camaro to look, and when I took it to the paint shop, I took the model along and told them, "Make THAT look just like THIS!" And they did.

Same here. I have just finished my 67 Mustang convertible using a Fastback kit combined with a resin coupe. I'm still working on a replica of my 34 Chevy 5WC using a 35 diecast convertible and a 34 Ford roof which itself will be modified by some handmade widow openings. I have a 53 Studebaker Starliner which will be the basis of a 64 GT Hawk I once owned using the 62 GT Hawk resin body from Missing Link. I don't think there are kits for my 1940 Packard sedan and my 1947 Oldsmobile L78 sedan. the only !:1 car I've had that has or at least had a kit is the 31 Model A. I don't know if it is even available. That is for the collector cars. My everyday cars were a 1965 Beaumont sedan, 1973 Gremlin X, 1976 Jeep CJ7 (I have built this one), 1976 Plymouth Volaré (I've also built this one and will redo it with the slant 6 from the Dodge 330 kit along with a bench seat), 1987 Buick Electra Estate wagon, 1997 Pontiac Bonneville, 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SLE, 2009 Dodge Avenger. + 3 pickups, 1989, 1998 and 2008 Dodge.

What cars did you have that are impossible as 1/25 scale models?

'75 Buick Century (stock) is one that pops to mind. The one Century that I'm aware of (oddball scale Lindberg kit), is not exactly the same, nor are the wheels that come with the kit. The same is true (as far as I’m aware) of the ’95 Cougar XR7 that I currently drive, to name but two.

Edited by Roadrunner

Does put me in mind of the new Elio that will be coming out. Well. maybe will be coming out.

I agree. Also looks somewhat like the ill-fated Aptera. Bear in mind, my design dates from 1984, was first shown publicly in 1996.

Elio IMG_0013-450x320.jpg

Aptera aptera-ed02.jpg

There's also a hot-rod lobster-buster car...er, Elio...

Aero3S+(26).jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy