Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 427 Camaro

Scale-Master

Less than two and a half months after deciding to revisit this project that had been sitting dead in the water for about 14 years, it is done. If I had known it would only take that long I would have done it long ago, (well if I had the time to). Actual time invested in building it is well over two years though.

Started as a Monogram 1/12 ’69 Z/28. I used an engine from the Monogram ’67 Corvette and reworked it as well as adding a C4 Corvette front suspension made of aluminum and replacing the rear suspension fabricated from brass. Many scratch-built parts were made for it and several hundred fasteners and pieces were machined.

For the details of the construction, and better photos of the interior and chassis, here is the link to the in-progress thread:

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=48100

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

I tried some shots taken at a distance to get a lower angle, but they distort the proportions somewhat.

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

Here are some finished engine shots:

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

This turned out Fantastic!!! Details are so incredible and that paintjob is truly amazing. Really great stance and I really like those wheels and tires too. It's absolutely the best '69 Camaro Street Car, I've ever seen. I can say that, even if I can't remember all of them. It's just so amazing, could it be any better?

100px-Papukaijamerkki.png

Guest Sickfish

Are we absolutely sure this is 1:12 & not 1:1?? Unf***n-real! I'm not a Chevy guy, never have been, but I am a model car guy & can appreciate a good, great & unbelievably fantastic model when I see one.... & this IS fantastic ... I applaud you Mark! Fantastic work mate! Trully! Just outta curiousity, is your next project a Mopar... In 1:16, perhap's?? ;-);-);-)

Cheers, Cliffo :-)

My favorite detail is the windshield washer fluid reservoir. It has clearly absorbed just enough oil and grease, but has yet to become brittle enough that it crumbles apart when you grab it to remove the cap and refill the reservoir. The battery clamps are as nice as I've ever seen on on model, and the black painted bumpers scream 1986. Nice work.

Edited by Casey

I too am very displeased at the fact that its done.... i too have been checking the WIP every day...but its gorgeous. The details just kept coming!! I really hope to see another 1/12 build from you, its amazing how much detail you can put in when the parts are actually big enough to see, makes me wonder where Romell went with that daytona pro stock, anyone know what happened to that? Or him?

Thanks guys. Yes DD, you get the credit for that bolt being added. I don't know why the forum allowed me to post the pictures but not allow me to fix the bad link. It's one of my favorite shots.

DSC00095-1.jpg

I'm glad someone caught the time frame the blacked out trim puts it in. The reservoir is a match for the one in my Camaro before I bleached it out. It is still a little barfy looking though...

I still have another 1/12 build going, the McLaren MP4/6. Just waiting for the paint to cure before I resume posting progress photos of it.

This raises the bar a bit, doesn't it?

I had to look very closely to see if it is really 1:1...and I'm still not sure! ;)

I'm not surprised it took you a while to complete it. It really does look like the real thing. I don't think I can find a way of giving it any more praise than that.

Awesome. Just awesome!

I hope I can build like you, one day.