Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 DeSoto

peekay

Just finished this old favourite, the Johan 1960 DeSoto. I built it curbside but spent time on the interior and getting the wheels poseable while improving the stance. I used Scale Motor Sports decals for the seat pattern - not accurate but works fine for me. I mixed the body colour from Sikkens automotive paint and it's somewhat greener than the actual turquoise that DeSoto offered, but I like it.

The wheels are from the 62 T/Bird (thanks again Gabriel!), tyres from the recent AMT Parts Pack and I scratch-built the dash mirror and antenna.

60DesotoNice1-vi.jpgHosted on FotkiHosted on Fotki

edit950px-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

2014080111_35_44-vi.jpgHosted on FotkiHosted on Fotki

Edited by peekay

Very nice work Peter! The color and paint in general is beautiful. I've thought about getting one of these. But, the way the top of the windshield juts out past the top of the roof a good 5-6 mms before angling down keeps me from it. Seems like every JoHan kit with that style of roof has the same problem.

One of my all time favorites! Great work!. Perfect color. Fantastic detail.

I've been trying to find one of these kits, but the prices are just crazy high. I wonder if the engine/chassis from the '57 Chrysler 300 would be a good donor. I built one with a MPC '67 Charger chassis back in the day, that turned out great, but it was stolen.

I wonder if the engine/chassis from the '57 Chrysler 300 would be a good donor. I built one with a MPC '67 Charger chassis back in the day..

The 1960 DeSoto was based on the Dodge unibody, so the older body-on-frame of the '57 Chrysler would be inappropriate. A Lindberg '64 Dodge chassis would be much closer. http://www.allpar.com/fix/body/unit-body.html

There is an appropriately marked DeSoto FireDome engine in the old AMT '53 Ford pickup kit.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

windshields_zpsdc2b416a.jpg

Not perfect... not terrible.

Funny, I'm trying to figure out why the 1961 Chrysler New Yorker I have doesn't have the same problem. It is the original glass. The glass in the older kits doesn't seem to be as bad & the Modelhaus vaccu-formed pieces seem a bit better too. You could always go that route. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller