Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Mustangs....

mk11

Kevin

The question is; do people need a complete body copy of the original MPC '70 Cougar (hardtop or convertible) or do they just want a '70 Cougar.

There are millions (or it seems like it) of AMT '69 Cougar kits to be had. Some from Round2 this year and more from the secondary seller market. So, the basic '69/'70 Cougar is easily available.

Wouldn't it satisfy the need by making just hood, hood chrome, front and rear bumpers plus the red tail lights. The basic AMT kit has everything else.

Just a thought.

An interesting thought, i think the hood fits...i dont know about the bumpers...amt & mpc are different maybe when i get a chance i can see what fits.

I have just looked at many pictures of 1969 and 1970 Cougars. It appears that only the front bumper and hood are different. Even the fenders look the same. If there are differences, I can't see them.

I use to have the MPC 69 and 70 kits. It didn't look like they changed more than the hood and bumpers.

Even the big Mercs had hardly any differences between a 69 and 70; grille and tail lights.

The front fenders on the 69 and 70 Cougars were pretty much alike, aside from the side marker hole being larger on the 70.

The main difference in front appearance aside from the hood, bumper (+gravel panel) and grillework, was in the fender extensions. On the 69 the extension comes to a point with the bumper, while the 70 extension is more blunt.

Also the taillight grilles were different, 69 were evenly spaced while the 70s were not. This was not changed for the MPC 70 kits.

I would post pictures but for some reason I am unable to.

BTW I have one of Kevin's AMT 69 Mustang repop bodies I recently acquired. It's a really nice piece.

Edited by sfhess

Looking at a couple of revell body shells has spawned another 'hmmmmm'...

P9184317

...especially if the new front end on order is as good as it looks ^_^

mike

Edited by mk11

Looking at a couple of revell body shells has spawned another 'hmmmmm'...

P9184317_zpsnqqxy7dj.jpg

...especially if the new front end on order is as good as it looks ^_^

mike

The 69/70 Shelby fenders are different from the "stock" 69 and 70 Mustang so I'm not sure where you' going with this. I had contemplated doing a stock 69 or 70 convertible but that idea was discussed in detail in another post.

Does anyone have a link to that post about the convertibles ?

Anyways, with the saws, glue, putty, files and imagination that most of us possess, those fenders aren't much of an obstacle ;)

mike

Edited by mk11

• 2 weeks later...

post-13094-0-93649500-1427931692_thumb.jDoes anyone have a link to that post about the convertibles ?

Anyways, with the saws, glue, putty, files and imagination that most of us possess, those fenders aren't much of an obstacle ;)

mike

Sorry - that was on a thread on that other Car model magazine website. I think the conclusion was it was too much work to make a stock ragtop.

Too bad this 69 Revell kit was never reissued.

Edited by vamach1

That Revell 1969 Mustang was converted into a 1970. After that, it became a funny car. Any body know if the tool is still around?

I thought that was what happened to the original AMT '69 Mustang. Converted to a '70, then the body was used for the Mach Won kit.