Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy cow...I WANT this...

$27K would not be a bad deal, it even has provenance, however outside of California i wonder what that provenance would carry. I remember seeing these Sprint Roadsters in Hot Rod in the 60's, so for someone who saw them when they were running either in person or print would bring the recognition value, just wonder how much that would transfer do investment value.

Still it has tons of "Cool" value that cannot be valued to the right person. Be fun to own if it could be made street legal while still retaining its Vintage Sprint Car appearance.

Greg, that Watson-Indycar-nosed roadster in post 13 was one of my favorites from back then. I've been collecting the bits to model it.

I've never seen the mid-engined one below it, but it's a real idea-starter, for sure.

Far as the OP car goes, you couldn't build it for the asking price. And it has provenance as a real race-car with a history. Fun track-day car.

Not to hijack the thread, but wouldn't you rather have this;

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1396-Ferrari-330+P4+Replica+by+Norwood-4.8+Liter+V-12

In my opinion, one the the greatest race cars. I'd do it in a heart beat if I had enough Benjamins.

I mean $275K is very reasonable to me for such a beauty!

Well, I could almost swing the $27K, but no way in heck could I manage $275K. And it would be a lot easier for me to stand on the gas and slide the old sprint car, knowing its replacement cost. :lol:

Old Indy car turned dirt tracker?

I think it was purpose-built as a sprint car, which wasn't uncommon a few decades ago. Frank Kurtis even built several roadster midgets in the 1950's. The idea behind these roadsters, as well as the larger AAA/USAC Championship roadsters was to give extra weight bias on the left side of the chassis by moving the engine to that side a bit, then making the driver's cockpit on the right--for pretty much the same reason as "weight-jackers" are used today on many oval track cars--make the weight distribution more nearly equal on both sides of the car in the turns at speed.

Art