Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to cut the gloss on some paints?

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to tone down the gloss on some paints? I have noticed on 1:1 cars, that there are very few things, including the body color, that is a super high gloss. When looking under the hood, many parts will be "black" but so many have different amounts of gloss with several shades of "semi-gloss".

Interiors are similar as well. I am working on a 52 Hudson and noticed the vinyl part of the seats are semi-gloss grey whereas the fabric portion is very flat grey. I would like to be able to keep certain colors and tone down the gloss, especially on engines. The Hudson engine block is gold but its not the glossy gold of a polished show-car fender!

I know I can spray Testors Dullcote over the base color but would like to vary the gloss up or down within the paint itself. Is there anything I can mix into the paints that will cause them to loose a controllable amount of sheen when dry?

I hope this question makes sense. I just realized that there are a lot of room for improvement in the looks of a model with just the proper sheens on the finish to various parts.

Thanks,
Jed

Well, here's my 2centavos.

You can add clear gloss to flat paint in varying ratios for a semi gloss finish. Use the same brand and type of paint for both the color and gloss clear though.

You can add a flattening agent to gloss paint for the same results as above. Again use the same brand and type of paint.

You could use one of the several varities of spray clear in gloss, semi gloss and matt over the color.

You can buy a staggering variety of paint already labeled gloss, semi gloss and matt. Experimentation is key.

G

Edited by Agent G

This is one of those things that having an airbrush is worth having. You can take the same paint and depending on how light or heavy you spray can very the sheen. This technique doesn't work with heavier spraying airbrushes like the Paasche H. You can spray with flats then when dry rub with your finger to bring a level of semigloss. I have tried talcum powder mixed with the paint, it does work just do not add too much. The proper level of sheen does make for a more realistic model.

Edited by 935k3

Well, if you're using Tamiya acrylics (the water based paints in jars, not the "hot" acrylics in rattle cans), you can get their own "Flat Base", which is designed to mix into their gloss paints exactly so that you can vary the sheen. I also have an artists' "Winsor and Newton Galleria Flat varnish" which is intended for flatting the surface of acrylic paintings, but does a stellar job as a brush-paintable flat topcoat. Dilute it more or less with water to vary the "flatting" effect. With that and some Future/Klear/Pledge whatever it's called now, you can get pretty much any sheen you want. You can also try varying the colour itself a little to mimic the effect of different surfaces -- for example I use "German Grey" or "Panzer Grey" for black alcantara in exotics to replicate the effect of light scattering that the real thing does...

bestest,

M.

This is one of those things that having an airbrush is worth having. You can take the same paint and depending on how light or heavy you spray can very the sheen. This technique doesn't work with heavier spraying airbrushes like the Paasche H. You can spray with flats then when dry rub with your finger to bring a level of semigloss. I have tried talcum powder mixed with the paint, it does work just do not add too much. The proper level of sheen does make for a more realistic model.

The technique works with the H too ... You just need to learn how to use it ......

The '53 Hudson engines, at least the Twin H-Power 7X high performance engines were painted (IIRC from memory--as my Dad had one!) with the same type of gold paint as Testors #1144 Gold--and they were fairly bright when new, but turned a somewhat grey.brown shade in use. You might do a spoon test with #1144 Gold, then try dulling that down with a very thinned Testors Rust, airbrushed ever so lightly, just to take the brilliance off if it for a used engine appearance.

Art