Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Beetle...

Lowlife ! !

Frankensteiners - cool ans thank you for educating me ;)

The Tamiya Bug looks great too! In my point of view, it's the best kit of a Beetle on the market. I think I know the rims of the 1987 Ford Thunderbird (Monogram) ;)

The large Revell is a good kit in summary. Just the few details won't fit at all. I read that you have the same experience like I had while I built mine: the part go very well together. No doubt about it.

Thank you for liking my greenish Beetle :) It will change to a more original look in the near future. I don't like the color combination since years.

Btw: you're doing great on the engine *thumbs up*

Edited by christian-w

This is how I built model kits ~25 years ago. Sorry. I know. It has a lot of potencial B)

This is how most of us built kits 25 years ago. Today I call them "Circus Tractors".

Don't 'restore' it. Stand by it, cherish it and build another one from a new kit.

Thanks guys, pleased to say I finished the engine ......... :D ..........

Cant believe how long this took, I have a bad habit of doing bits and then ripping them out and re-doing them ! ! The HT leads are supplied in the kit ( plain black tubing ) so I wired it up, then decided this looked too thick and I had plain cables with no connectors at each end...So it was all ripped out and I used a smaller matt red cable and the kit tubing for the ends.

I added a small block of plastic to the block, so I had room for a scratch built dipstick ! Theres a metal bar that supports the carb added, a live feed from the coil and metal nuts n bolts with solder wire for the oil lines.

Think that's it for the engine now, onto the chassis build up next ...... :) ........Thanks for looking in, Lowlife ! !

001_zpsugcwxkvy.jpg

004_zpspyfje5ij.jpg

Martin, that's one of the best 25 - 36 hp engines I've seen in any scale. I know it's probably the kit solex carb but it really does lack some detail doesn't it? I can't exactly put my finger on it but something looks like it's missing off the front side, opposite of the float bowl. Other than that like I said before I think you nailed it including the bends on the fuel line, looks like this kit has some really good bones in the first place.

Thankyou guys ........ :) .....

Yes Skip the carb is a bit simple I suppose, one of the problems is the front of the carb had a mold line (and flash) and I may have smoothed it out a little too much !

Thanks Randy, always nice to get a comment from someone whos work is so inspirational !

Just mention for anyone thinking of building one of these, consider running HT leads from the fan shroud ( is it? ) before you glue the two shroud pieces together. Its awkward trying to wire it up after, and you have to enlarge the holes that the wires run through !

More soon......... Lowlife ! !

Been considering the wheels for my bug...... :unsure: ..... The beetle will be basically stock, but I just cant build anything that isn't lowered ! ! So its getting slammed, and a few period accessories possibly !

The standard wheels look huge to me, and I've had these wheels kicking around for ever, no idea where they came from, possibly one of my sons toys when he was little

( I imagine him coming home from nursery, and his toy car up on bricks with the wheels stolen........ :D )

they do look cool so im considering these. The problem is they would need plastic removing from the back to fit brakes, so I tried the tyres on the standard rims and they fit perfectly so im probably using these.......

See what you think anyway, thanks for looking in, Lowlife ! !

002_zpsslske7b7.jpg

001_zpsza2bawqf.jpg

005_zpsalrhzctp.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Martin. I think I finally remembered what looks of fish on the carb. If my memory is still working right, I think the "Firebreathing" 36 hp engine that powered my Oval Window had a flat iron 1/8" brace running from the bottom of the carb to either the top of the engine case at the seam or a stud sticking up from the case. This brace also had an ear (tab) sticking up from the carb base that the throttle return spring attached to. I'm sure that you can find a zillion pics of early 25 - 36 hp engines to compare to. I remember that the 40 hp engine did not have one, but when VW went to the Dual Port heads the center mounted carb manifolds had a similar brace because they used a slip fit for the center manifold into the two manifold ends and sealed with a rubber tube between them.

You could duplicate this brace by cutting a strip of aluminum sheet or pop can bend and twist a little and you should have a cool looking bracket.

Thanks Johan, and Skip, if you look closely I did add a metal bar from the bottom of the carb to the bolt fitting below ( seen just above the bottom pulley ) Was this what you meant ? I may try and improve the carb a bit, have to go and find some more pics !

Thanks mate...... Lowlife ! !