Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell NASCAR kits

martinfan5

Really? bad keselowski and joey lablameo? No thanks don't care for cheating wine baby car driver's I'll wait for better cars and drivers.

If I had better lawyers I'd right a book on the REAL story on NASCAR and who cheats the most.

I was in the sport for many years.......saw it first hand......if only everyone knew......

I sent an email to Ed Sexton at Revell asking about them but he's out of the office until the 21st. Any info I get I'll pass along.

I was thinking of doing the same, but I am going to hold off, I looking forward to hearing what he says about them, but I really dont care , I am buying them, and if they do end up doing the Chevy and Toyota, buying a case of each, dont bother me one bit that they are a snapper.

I've wanted a Chevy SS Cup car on my shelf ever since I first saw one. I won't buy a die cast though. Can't put something on my shelf that I didn't build. I'll buy at least one and find an aftermarket decal set that looks cool.

I've wanted a Chevy SS Cup car on my shelf ever since I first saw one. I won't buy a die cast though. Can't put something on my shelf that I didn't build. I'll buy at least one and find an aftermarket decal set that looks cool.

If you dont want to wait, you can always get the Chevy SS resin body.

If you are waiting on a Chevy or Toyota.......my advise is BUY 2 each, or more, of the Fords.......even if you hate Fords. it's been stated by someone in the know....these fail....NASCAR modern kits are done forever. I myself will buy a case each and build each Ford from the Daytona 500 2015.

I'll do my part!

Too much is still unknown about these kits for me to budge from my firmly "On the Fence" perch. I don't even know if Chevy & Toyota kits would really help. I fall into that category of rabid NASCAR fan and builder up to the point that Dale passed, aaaaaand then I really didn't care.

My tastes have passed to GT1/GT3 endurance racing, and there's support for that habit in a major way out there. I don't know that I can be drawn back into the NASCAR fray as I don't really have any particular feelings about any current driver beyond seeing the underfunded guys pick up the random win here or there.

In regards to the threat/extortion/scare tactic that if people don't buy them, they won't ever make anymore. I don't like it, it's common knowledge. It comes across as a parent/spouse telling you something that's annoyingly obvious just to be an authority figure. At this point with the hobby being the niche - albeit ever so slightly growing in the U.S. - market, doesn't that apply to ANY project? I mean if people suddenly decided that the Model As and the Hot Rod movement was passed and had moved onto something else, would they keep plowing capital into them?

The 'if you don't buy them....no more down the road is just hard cold business FACTS.

No parental scolding here. Just truth.

Those folks that will only buy a full detail Tamiya level NASCAR kit and will pass on

these then complain......just making sure they are informed.

Don't want these kits?? Don't buy them. It's very simple.

One poster said they'd not buy because no Goodyear decals.......you didn't want the kit anyway.

NASCAR kits kept the model companies in cash for a good while. Our hobby shop would place an order every Monday for kits.

Cases of each srock number.....always 2 cases of #2900 for sure. What current kit sells like that???

Revell is looking at this as a test (only in my opinion) to see if that well is ready to produce again.

Or do we need more Camaros, Mustangs and 57 Chevys???

I am not a Ford a fan, but just like Dave said, I am going to start out with Four , just to support the effort to help bring the Chevy and Toyota, which, I will put my money where my mouth is and buy a case of each to get started.

Not going to get into the whole should of done it, but I think the Chevy's would of been a better choice to test the waters with, I mean, you have most of NASCAR's most popular drivers and the marketing tool driving Chevys , just not sure going with the Fords and the limited popular drivers in them was a good idea to start with. But there are reasons why they are doing the Fords first.

Edited by martinfan5

At this point, Revell has to be checking to see if any NASCAR noise turns into sales numbers. No sales, they tried and no interest.. Good sales, hope they do some more. Makes sense to me.

Yeh, I'm a Chevy fan, but I'll pick up a couple of the Penske Fords... (did I say that out loud?)

With today's NASCAR, I bet the chassis will fit under that resin Chevrolet SS resin body real nice.

Best case is that a little interest in the NASCAR kits will get Revell thinking about some new drag racers - Pro Mod, Pro Stock, Funny Car - or - just as cool, some ALMS kits (say Corvette!)

Edited by Muncie

I am not a Ford a fan, but just like Dave said, I am going to start out with Four , just to support the effort to help bring the Chevy and Toyota, which, I will put my money where my mouth is and buy a case of each to get started.

Not going to get into the whole should of done it, but I think the Chevy's would of been a better choice to test the waters with, I mean, you have most of NASCAR's most popular drivers and the marketing tool driving Chevys , just not sure going with the Fords and the limited popular drivers in them was a good idea to start with. But there are reasons why they are doing the Fords first.

NO INSIDE info on this Revell project......

But I know at one time GM was a bear to get things approved while Ford often much easier and often offered help.

This was during the Accurate Miniatures days when my brother in law was there.......

MAY....I said MAY have something to do here.

The last auto maker that did any subsidizing pf a kit was Ford.......again NO knowledge this came into play. But it seems Ford

does recognize the connection between 'toys' (their term) and pinons later in life.

NO INSIDE info on this Revell project......

But I know at one time GM was a bear to get things approved while Ford often much easier and often offered help.

This was during the Accurate Miniatures days when my brother in law was there.......

MAY....I said MAY have something to do here.

The last auto maker that did any subsidizing pf a kit was Ford.......again NO knowledge this came into play. But it seems Ford

does recognize the connection between 'toys' (their term) and pinons later in life.

That very well could be the reason why the Fords are the first ones being done, I do believe that is why it took awhile for Revell to get the C7 kit done is that Revell and GM were not getting along and did not want to work with Revell, so the rumors said.

Yes the most teams and the highest popularity per capita are in the Chevrolet and Toyota camps, but along with them is also the highest level of licensing fees and sponsorship deals to have to deal with their licensing rights also. I've said before that due to the limited contingency stickers carried by the team Penske cars that they were probably the easiest team to put the NASCAR experiment behind.

Edited by horsepower

Yes the most teams and the highest popularity per capita are in the Chevrolet and Toyota camps, but along with them is also the highest level of licensing fees and sponsorship deals to have to deal with their licensing rights also. I've said before that due to the limited contingency stickers carried by the team Penske cars that they were probably the easiest team to put the NASCAR experiment behind.

lets compare those "stickers"

For 2015

Brad K's Miller duce Ford has the following

Moog, Freescale, Mahle,Lincoln Welders,Duralast Brakes,Mechanics Wear, K&N Fliters, (not counting the Sunoco/Coors)

Dale Jrs Nationwide Dew Chevy

Mechanics Wear,Mahle, Holley, Freescale, Duralast,Flowmaster,IR,3M,Moog, Comp Arms,Edelbrock

11vs7

What I do know is NASCAR has a licensing trust which handles all licensing for 11 teams and NASCAR , and there are four different categories for the teams: apparel, collectible diecast cars, toys and trackside retail. What does it all cover, well, everything for that team/driver is my understanding.

I for one am excited to have these. If they sell well, it opens the doors to other options. I do hope they'll release a Toyota and a Chevy. As for the choice of drivers, Team Penske makes a lot of sense. It allows two cars from one mold without having to negotiate with two ownerships. It also limits having to choose which two teams from a three or four car team. Plus this is a first model for each driver with younger demographics than Jeff Gordon or Matt Kenseth.

Maybe they'll do a Target exclusive car for sale in Target stores. Can't see that in their competitor stores.

Yep. And, one is a past champion (2012) while the other won the Daytona 500 this year. Both are doing well in points standings this year, too. A Jeff Gordon kit might do well this year, as it is his last year behind the wheel. The Toyotas might be good sellers because of their uniqueness- and the availability of the Toyota V8 as engine swap material into one of the older import kits of the same marque. Now, what I wouldn't buy would be a kit of the current "champion", Mr. Push and Run Harvick... but, that's just my personal opinion.

Edited by johnbuzzed

Like I said my decision to purchase one or more will depend on the contents of the kit rather than the actual product being offered. I doubt many of these will be built in the liveries being offered anyways, particularly the non-alcoholic version of Keslowski's.

As for the parental scolding. It's a known fact that if they don't sell, there won't be anymore. Why does anyone need to see that "verbalized"?

If you don't wear your jacket, you're gonna catch a cold - Yeeeeessss Mom

If you don't buy these Fords, there won't be any more NASCAR kits - Yeeeeeeeeees Ed

Edited by niteowl7710

Like I said my decision to purchase one or more will depend on the contents of the kit rather than the actual product being offered. I doubt many of these will be built in the liveries being offered anyways, particularly the non-alcoholic version of Keslowski's.

As for the parental scolding. It's a known fact that if they don't sell, there won't be anymore. Why does anyone need to see that "verbalized"?

If you don't wear your jacket, you're gonna catch a cold - Yeeeeessss Mom

If you don't buy these Fords, there won't be any more NASCAR kits - Yeeeeeeeeees Ed

Needs to be verbalized to me because so many folks here moan that we don't have a '1962 blandmobile with limited slip door handles' yet when we get a 1962 blandmobile with normal door handles people whine and say 'I'll pass' until they make the right one.

90% of the folks in the hobby do not have a slight understanding of the hobby business.

Just a reminder......

If there are mommy issues....there are sites for that too..... :rolleyes:

Revell says they will be partially pre-painted. No engine. I'm guessing that means that the main sponsor markings will be printed directly onto the body like the previous "ProFinish" Nascar kits.

Nope, just the stripe will be printed. Sponsor markings will be stickers....

Edited by Brett Barrow