Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose - Revell Partnership

He said that HE thinks Foose ruins cars

I was curious on how he thinks they are ruined. Paint, design, wheels (in which I do not like his designs) or other reasons. I like a lot of Chip's work but I do tire of the sameness of his Overhaulin' work, the Foose fade, tucking the bumpers and the ugly wheels.

I was curious on how he thinks they are ruined. Paint, design, wheels (in which I do not like his designs) or other reasons. I like a lot of Chip's work but I do tire of the sameness of his Overhaulin' work, the Foose fade, tucking the bumpers and the ugly wheels.

I agree, the cookie cutter style of his "Made for Television" cars got boring pretty fast. And yes, he also makes some flat out "Custom" cars, but they too, got pretty boring and did nothing really ground breaking.

His line of Customized kits just sound like what has been done before by other customizers, like Barris, just add decals, wheels and a goofy paint job and voila! New kits!

AMT%202257%2053Fordvg+.JPG

Revell should talk to these guys if they are serious

01-ring-brothers-recoil-chevelle-sema-1.

I agree, the cookie cutter style of his "Made for Television" cars got boring pretty fast. They were built quick-and-dirty for a frigging reality show. You can't build a Ridler or AMBR winner in a week for a TV show. Damm right they weren't anything terribly special. Get real.

And yes, he also makes some flat out "Custom" cars, but they too, got pretty boring and did nothing really ground breaking. The Alumacoupe and the Hemisfear you use as examples really bear no more resemblance to each other than a current Camaro and a Mustang. And there's a pretty good chance Foose designed the Alumacoupe...which certainly WAS groundbreaking ... anyway, during his tenure with Coddington.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Larry Erickson designed the Alumacoupe.

I stand corrected. I still maintain that the AlumaCoupe and the Hemisfear have no more similarity than any other two hot-rods roughly based on deuce roadster proportions.

To post photos of the two cars implying the latter is entirely derivative of the former ignores little details like the fact the Alumacoupe is mid-engined, etc. etc. etc.

CORRECTION EDIT: I should have said the AlumaCoupe has a transversely-mounted mid-engine 4-cylinder turbocharged Mitsubishi, where the Foose Hemisfear has a longitudinally-mounted mid-engine Mopar Hemi V8, backed up with a ZF gearbox... entirely different layouts and drivetrains. Entirely.

Let's ask the Foose-bashers to show their design work...show us all how it's done, OK?

It's easy to criticize. It's damm hard to build something like the Hemisfear, the Impression, or any other of Foose's original-design cars.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I stand corrected. I still maintain that the Alumacoupe and the Hemisfear have no more similarity than any other two hot-rods roughly based on deuce roadster proportions.

To post photos of the two cars implying the latter is entirely derivative of the former ignores little details like the fact the Alumacoupe is mid-engined, etc. etc. etc.

Let's ask the Foose-bashers to show their design work...show us all how it's done, OK?

It's easy to criticize. It's damm hard to build something like the Hemisfear, the Impression, or any other of Foose's original-design cars.

True that.

That last line.... here's a chisel. Lets carve that in stone.

Nice to see Team Foose come to the defense! I don't claim to be a car builder and I used to watch his shows, but, they grew into the same thing, and that, is what is imprinted in our brains. And then to have it driven deeper by model kits that have the same thing we saw on t.v.

Alumna Coupe and Hemiwhatever have the same look, I never said they where the same. Have you ever seen either one of these cars in person, or any Foose cars? I have, and I must admit, they are very well done, but, no one said I had to like it all. And I also reserve the right to say as I please, at least I am not assuming he is building other peoples cars!

Alumna Coupe and Hemiwhatever have the same look... I disagree entirely, but as you say, you're entitled to your opinion. Have you ever seen either one of these cars in person, or any Foose cars? Yes, and they're absolutely 100% first rate (the top-line showcars). Impression is simply perfect. One of the best pieces of work I've ever seen in 1:1. Hemisfear is about perfect too far as I can tell, but I didn't get as close as I'd have liked on that one. ...at least I am not assuming he is building other peoples cars! I already admitted my mistake, owned it, etc. Sorry...all I can do. I shoulda double-checked (like I usually do) before making the unfortunate statement.

Thing is, I DO build cars for a living. Nothing close to the level of detail or originality of Foose's top-line showcars (my clients can't afford it), and when I see people denigrating the work of gifted and skilled builder / designers, it chaps my old backside. I KNOW how tough it is to work at Foose's level.

Not directed at you in particular either, Jesse. Somebody I believe said "Foose ruins cars" or something to that effect. Interesting opinion. <_<

TV shows aside, consider that Chip builds cars for people that have the money to pay him to build exactly what they want built.

I would guess that the majority of Chips' Ridler award winning builds are actually owned by someone else...that paid and may have waited years for their (now award winning) car to be finished. In fact most builders are building someone elses car.

Years ago Squeege's Customs was a well known name but never got the media exposure that is seen these days, I've personally seen the work performed in the shop back then, some of it went on the show circuit back then also.

Any person can say "XXXXX ruins cars", that is their opinion... I don't agree that anyone "ruins" anything just because what is seen doesn't meet with my esthetic for any particular vehicle.

This post is all over the map so I'm going to stop.

Considering the hemisphere is a scaled up model of a scale model Chip built as a design exercise while still attending Pasadena school of design and a Chrysler rep fell in love with it and had it commissioned as a full size running concept vehicle to put the New Hemi motor in as a concept vehicle says wonders for the staying power of his designs, also IF you ever get to see the Impression, or Grand Master, after walking around the car and looking at the obvious, look at the builders book that the judges can see, it will take you weeks to find some of the subtle details that the normal person will never figure out, like using drilled stainless allen bolts used to fasten the fenders to the body as the overflow drip line from the A/C condenser so there's no obvious drain hose, and that all fuel, brake, and electrical, along with hvac lines and hoses are hidden under a false floor so they are completely out of sight, but with the removal of the false floor, all the items are in the open and easily accessible to work on. Its the little subtle details that the general public will never notice that separates the masters who build a Ridler winner (one of several) or a couple of AMBR winners, one that failed to take the award the first time, but after bringing the Coddington car to Chip for a freshen up won the AMBR that year. A real show car is in the nit picky details that the public doesn't even notice, but when you get to the level of eight and nine figure cars and six to eleven years of build time, that is what makes the difference between a contender, and a champion.

Edited by horsepower

So the Hemisfear is green, but I can also imagine it could look equally good in blue or red or almost any other color you could think of.

It might just work.

actually there were a total of five Hemisfears made. http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5db05b3127ccee965a5ecefb300000030O02IbNXLZs1cg9vPgw/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00900566095620150524134433255.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Edited by Darin Bastedo

I understand people have different tastes. And opinions. And different goals with their hobbies. Etc.

One would want to build these cars because of Foose, others want them for kitbashing. Whatever.

But shouldn't we give Revell the benefit of doubt and challenge them to get creative?

So let's give them loads and loads of feedback on our wishes and then see what happens.

Maybe, as for a little check on Revell playing fair, we could make something like a poll on here from the moment the Revell/Foose sites go life? Then we can all let Revell know our 2 choices and put the same choices in this poll. And then see if the new kits are like those the poll 'predicts' ?

Personally, my hope is for the final choices to be way different than any kit we know of... Because of NEW...

Just my thoughts...

Edited by matthijsgrit

• 2 weeks later...