Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose - Revell Partnership

well,,,,Mr. Foose does a great job,BUT,I personally don't think every car he builds needs those extremely large wheels,,,I don't like them myself. most cars of the past need some sidewall to look good,,,some look like buckboards to me with those big wheels,must ride the same also. In the northeast the potholes would ruin a set of them in no time. Im also the kind of guy that never builds anything right from the box,,,got to change something. just my humble opinion,,,,,,,

Doug, I share your opinion, but to me, that applies to contemporary cars, too. There are a couple of cars in the parking lot where I work- one is a 300, the other a big GM SUV. Both wear those really HUGE, cartoony-looking wheels, with just about no sidewall on those tires. Butt-ugly, in my opinion, and the ride and handling must suffer horribly. Big is one thing, but too much is too much. I did use the kit wheels on a Revell Uptown Charger, only because I didn't feel like sourcing anything else, and I would use those Foose wheels from the Revell '67 Charger on a contemporary Challenger because they resemble Mopar Rallye wheels. Otherwise, no way do I like oversized wheels. But, that's just my $.02.

That explains the Mini that's parked in my community. As much practical use (on a street car) as one of those big, handle-looking spoilers. Of course, that's just MY opinion... :P

Not unlike putting NACA scoops on a Yugo! :rolleyes:

I've looked at the choices and voted in Revell's poll.

I really do not like much of anything Foose has done, and found all of his So-Called Customs to be eyesores at best.

Nevertheless, I chose two that I felt had some potential to be good models and voted for them.

I participated because it seldom happens that any model company solicits my opinion. When they do, It's prudent to vote and show that the numbers are out there.

I'll not purchase any of the Foose kits. But I hope that younger modelers buy them by the thousands.

I want these kits to sell even better than the upcoming 31 Ford. (well OK, not better than, at least as much as)

Why, so that Revell will know that trusting modelers for product choices ,pays off in sales.

OK, I'll pick a couple of Foose kits and buy them just to boost sales.

Waste of tool up money and plastic. More nonsense vehicle kits.

i agree with Bill a waste of money, that money could have gone into tooling up a real nice 68' Dodge Coronet rt or 70' Charger rt or 69' Dodge Coronet rt my 2 cents! Edited by Mr mopar

I agree. I just don't see these style one off kits doing well. Particularly in the future..Those Testors kits are a good example...The Coddington / Foose look has pretty much run its course. For me, if its over hyped and promoted too heavily as the newest coolest thing since sliced bread, I'll tend to be equally repelled and completely ignore it to the point its no longer a blip on my radar.

I would suggest to them they need to be staying with the current trends such as pro touring, stock bodied cars with modern engines, like an GM LS series, and modern updated suspension systems and updated comfortable interiors. What kit other than a camaro, firebird or vette has a LS engine in it? They need to take their current tooling and update a lot of their older kits with newer style parts to fit the current trends and aftermarket parts avalibility in the real 1:1 world... And limiting it to those ugly big wheels don't count.

I agree. I just don't see these style one off kits doing well. Particularly in the future..Those Testors kits are a good example...The Coddington / Foose look has pretty much run its course. For me, if its over hyped and promoted too heavily as the newest coolest thing since sliced bread, I'll tend to be equally repelled and completely ignore it to the point its no longer a blip on my radar.

I would suggest to them they need to be staying with the current trends such as pro touring, stock bodied cars with modern engines, like an GM LS series, and modern updated suspension systems and updated comfortable interiors. What kit other than a camaro, firebird or vette has a LS engine in it? They need to take their current tooling and update a lot of their older kits with newer style parts to fit the current trends and aftermarket parts avalibility in the real 1:1 world... And limiting it to those ugly big wheels don't count.

Good points... Though I really like Foose cars. Edited by matthijsgrit

I talk to more and more people, who are questioning the future of the hobby. This past weekend at the Heartland Nationals, there was a vendor who stopped my kid and asked him what kind of models he likes to build. Then picked a brand new model from his table and gave it to him as a gift. I started talking to him and he explained to me that he does this on every show he goes with a random kid. He shared that at the last meeting of his club they were talking that the youngest member of their club was 41 years old. It is a scary thought and the hobby is in desperate need of young blood.

People who say that Revell coming up with two brand new tools, voted on the web and targeting younger audience is a waste of money are part of the problem. Someone drooling over a Coronet R/t (I don't even know what that looks like, let alone my kid) is NOT the future of the hobby. My 9 year old IS the future. His brother who is 5 and just starting to show interest in models IS the future. And guess what? They don't care about grandma's Coronet. They don't want an accurate F100. No. They want shiny chrome parts. They want bright colors. They want big wheels. They want cars they see in the movies and on the TV. They want modern. They want Foose.

And considering that Revell, just like the rest of the kit manufacturers are actually a business (oh, the revelation), it would only make sense to invest in the future of the hobby. Not only I am happy to see that Revell are trying hard to attract new people to the hobby, but I think they need to get even more modern creations out there. Because let's face it, the generation in love in with big square cars that all look the same is a dying breed and therefore a bad investment.

P.S. On a side note, I did not see a Single full detail Chezoom or Aluma Coupe available for sale at Heartland. They are not that easy to find on the net either. The Smoothster is a little easier, but "Boyd's Hauler" is really rare. And all these kits are no different than what Foose's creations are today. Yet they apparently did very well.

Edited by mrm

i agree with Bill a waste of money, that money could have gone into tooling up a real nice 68' Dodge Coronet rt or 70' Charger rt or 69' Dodge Coronet rt my 2 cents!

Okay lets look at this from Revells perspective. At one time models were marketed toward kids. I lump everyone from 5-25 in there. And in the 50's, 60's, 70's that worked. Then the video game stole the kids away from models. So after continuing with a failing market strategy through the 80's and 90's, they eventually realized the market they had left was the 40+ crowd (the same crowd from the 50's, 60's, 70's) and we started to see new models that appealed to us.

But that doesn't mean that Revell has given up on the younger market. At some point us 40+ types are gonna take the big dirt nap. Revell intends to continue past that.

So, due to the popularity of Foose and his contemporaries, they hope to hit both demographics at once. C'mon guys I'm no marketing exec, but even this blue collar guy can see what they are trying to achieve. It ain't rocket surgery.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just glad Hobbico (Revells parent company) still has the drive, the ambition, to see this hobby survive past our generation. Because if Revell fails, it means only repops from now on just like AMT, MPC, Monogram, Lindberg and others.

I hope they sell a zillion of these.

Edited by Jantrix

Okay lets look at this from Revells perspective. At one time models were marketed toward kids. I lump everyone from 5-25 in there. And in the 50's, 60's, 70's that worked. Then the video game stole the kids away from models. So after continuing with a failing market strategy through the 80's and 90's, they eventually realized the market they had left was the 40+ crowd (the same crowd from the 50's, 60's, 70's) and we started to see new models that appealed to us.

But that doesn't mean that Revell has given up on the younger market. At some point us 40+ types are gonna take the big dirt nap. Revell intends to continue past that.

So, due to the popularity of Foose and his contemporaries, they hope to hit both demographics at once. C'mon guys I'm no marketing exec, but even this blue collar guy can see what they are trying to achieve. It ain't rocket surgery.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just glad Hobbico (Revells parent company) still has the drive, the ambition, to see this hobby survive past our generation. Because if Revell fails, it means only repops from now on just like AMT, MPC, Monogram, Lindberg and others.

I hope they sell a zillion of these.

Yep, I agree!

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago Squeege's Customs was a well known name but never got the media exposure that is seen these days, I've personally seen the work performed in the shop back then, some of it went on the show circuit back then also.

Wow, didn't expect to see Squeeg's name pop up. :o And yes, that is the proper spelling, although I had to go check my t-shirt from his shop to make sure. :lol: He and my dad are very close friends, he even pinstriped a bike my dad painted for me when I was about 7 (1966 or so) back in Ohio. He and his then girlfriend Betsy lived with us when they first moved to Phoenix (around 1974 or 75, I forget now). My dad was always over at the shop on I think Thursday nights for years. Doug is supposed to be better than his dad Squeeg, but I haven't seen his work, was out of state for 8 years and I just haven't made an effort since returning. Seeing stuff I can never afford got too depressing after a while.

Anyway, back on topic.

About the Foose model cars. I too hope these sell like crazy. Those are the kinds of cars many kids today identify with. Personally, while he seems like a great person I just don't care for his style of customs. Didn't like the Coddington stuff either. Both do/did outstanding work. I was taken to too many custom shows in the 60's I guess, but that era customs are what I love.

As far as being one time only sales, how about all the Tom Daniels stuff? Those are my favorite models and they seem to still be selling well enough for Revell to bring them back every few years. Ed Roth kits as well.

The kids today may very well be nostalgic and want the Foose cars they built as kids to be available when they are getting older like us here today.

All just IMHO of course. Well, not the stuff about Squeeg. That is fact. :D

Russ

Edited by russosborne

• 1 month later...

This quoting mess is entirely out of control. You can't delete a quote once you enter it in a reply box. Lovely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quote was supposed to be from Jantrix:  "I'd love to know more about this process if anyone is in the know."

"

Here's a place to start, Rob. The truth is out there.   ;)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y_N-IG-23g

And to understand what the dots on the truck are for, click this link and scroll down to 3D SCANNING...

http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/863.12/people/malcolm/week4.html

Edited by Ace-Garageguy