Model Cars Magazine Forum

So what does one learn from building model cars? There was a time . . .

In order to have the names of the parts, the instructions would have to be in several languages...caused mostly by people who speak other languages :)

In the U.S., most of your packaging is English and Spanish. In Canada it is English and French. In Europe it is English, French, German, Spanish and Italian. In the Orient, it is various Asian languages. Maybe the kit manufacturers could add the names to their websites and we could print off the names in our favourite language :)

Aside from learning the names and proper locations of all of the parts on a model, one learns (or at least should learn) patience, good hand/eye coordination, following instructions in the (more or less) proper sequence, and at the end, hopefully a sense of accomplishment, appreciation, and pride for a job well done.

Aside from learning the names and proper locations of all of the parts on a model, one learns (or at least should learn) patience, good hand/eye coordination, following instructions in the (more or less) proper sequence, and at the end, hopefully a sense of accomplishment, appreciation, and pride for a job well done.

Exactly my sentiments Rich!

What HE said!!

I too learned about the mysterious inner workings of the automobile through building models in the '60s. I also learned about world history by building WWI and WWII airplanes. Boy did i go through a lot of tube glue! :o

I have to say i did learn patience over the years.

Yup...knowing a lot of the part names was definitely important in helping me avoid being a complete newb-tard when I started reading the real car mags. And having put a lot of kits together, I had a pretty good idea at least where the major components went, and kinda what they did.

I sorta doubt there's an app for that.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I learned most of my car stuff from kits. When I'm building, I usually know what each thing is, but having to go, "WTH is that?" and flip four pages back to the parts name chart is annoying. The older Revell kits (2000s) that I used to build had the names and paint colors spelled out in good old English right there.

In order to have the names of the parts, the instructions would have to be in several languages...caused mostly by people who speak other languages :)

In the U.S., most of your packaging is English and Spanish. In Canada it is English and French. In Europe it is English, French, German, Spanish and Italian. In the Orient, it is various Asian languages. Maybe the kit manufacturers could add the names to their websites and we could print off the names in our favourite language :)

Now THAT is a good idea, rather than having a 64 page book with three pages in each language.

I learned a lot about what parts were what on real cars from them as a kid back in the day....learned more and started to work on the 1 to 1s at 13 or 14 years old created a life long passion for automobiles and scale ones for me. I really dig the old instructions and boxes....brings back great memories for me.

Most of my car knowledge is still 'cosmetic', as in, I know what parts are and where they go, but I'd be hard pressed to diagnose a sick engine or do much mechanical work without extensive viewing of online how-tos and instructional videos.

But what I DO know...came from building model kits as a kid, and then reading a lot of magazines.

I love those old instructions with the big blocks of instructional text, photos combined with illustrations, and a can-do gee-whiz attitude.

I really enjoyed the double-dragster reissue when it was released, because at that point I hadn't experienced original 60s kit instructions, and the reproduced instructions in that kit are a lot of fun.

From a visual communication standpoint, if the instructions work perfectly without text of any kind, that means they're effective and universal, which is generally accepted to be a good thing.

They sure are antiseptic and boring, though.