Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Mercury Comet

tomsheehy

Box stock build from the AMT kit. This one fought me all the way to the end. I recall when the AMT 66 Fairlane kits and this one were introduced, and recall some comments on the build issues, but nothing remarkable. However, I was not very impressed with the kit. For one, it was a sealed kit that was missing parts. Plus, AMT chose not to include any outside OR inside rear view mirrors for this kit. So one day I might add them if I come across any suitable donors in my parts stash. It was also missing the upper radiator hose that is mentioned on the instructions, but no where to be found in this kit.

Anyway, its built...painted Tamiya Champagne metallic, sort of close to the Ford color "fawn" from that year. I added a simulated vinyl roof using the Testors spray system. Wheels were swapped out to a set of 1966 Ford dog dishes from Modelhaus. I elected not to add the body stripes to add to the semi-sleeper look.

photo2-vi.jpg

photo5-vi.jpg

photo6-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

Roof "system": Testors makes a 2 part spray that yields a good looking vinyl roof. First a dull base coat goes on, then the second coat is a "texture" coat that you spray from at least 12" away, sort of forms a spatter effect. It comes in black and white. I have used it a few times and it does work pretty good.

And yes, I forgot the seams on the sides. Just to show how fed up I was with this build, the roof got damaged after I painted it the solid color, polished and bare metaled everything. I had run out of the champagne metallic, so I needed to come up with another choice. So I masked the whole roof off, bare metal and all. Sprayed the roof and then removed the masking very carefully. No damage whatsoever, thank goodness I used the Tamiya tape. All the bare metal stayed put. Then I realized I forgot the seams...too late, screw it.

Here's another one with the same roof treatment...

photo3-vi.jpg

Tom if that kit fought you all the way you still did a great job, I love the understated look of it and I'll also echo the comments on the vinyl roof looks great.

I built this kit last year and I have to admit it was a pleasure to build I really enjoyed it, the only thing lacking for me is the lack of detail of the top shock/strut mounts on the inner fenders.

Great job mate.

Edited by Mr Stock