Model Cars Magazine Forum

First build, no help from Mom. Fail ? I don't think so

Never had kids but borrowed nieces and nephews, Always known as the uncle with the models, some had presents to take home, The best were the Monogram cartoon planes and hawk weirdos

Always to strict in following instructions, forgot the adage about coloring inside the lines restricts imagination

greg 

If virtually all of us here will remember accurately, correctly; our first model car builds were most likely very crudely done, at least by our now "adult" standards and status.  But we were proud as heck of them, happy as clams to have at least tried to build a model kit.

One very real problem modern kids seem to have is, they (as a group) just aren't allowed to try stuff, and (gasp!) fail!  Gosh, isn't that how we learned?  After all, Thomas Edison clearly stated that invention to him was 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.  Every time I am in say, Michael's or Hobby Lobby, and I hear some parent tell their kid "You can't build that!" I cringe, wish I dared step up and correct them:  "How do you know that Ma'am?  He will never know until he tries it!"

Fortunately, I had a pair of parents who, while probably grinding their teeth in private, never told me that, looked at least appreciative of whatever I turned my hands and mind to as a boy--something I will forever be thankful of.

Art

One very real problem modern kids seem to have is, they (as a group) just aren't allowed to try stuff, and (gasp!) fail! 

A very big problem in today's world in my opinion.  "Everyone's a winner" is not true no matter how many times it's repeated.

One very real problem modern kids seem to have is, they (as a group) just aren't allowed to try stuff, and (gasp!) fail! 

A very big problem in today's world in my opinion.  "Everyone's a winner" is not true no matter how many times it's repeated.

What frustrates me isn't so much the "Everybody's a  Winner" mentality as it is "My kid can't do this" mentality then saying it in front of the kid to another adult!  The kid can't learn how to do something  if you don't let them learn in the first place!

I remember my first build, a Pyro 1/32 Alfa Romeo.  Mom helped me with it, as it required glue. It had no chrome and everything was white, including the tires. Mom thoght it would spice things up if we added some color to it, so we got some of her red nail polish and did it up. What a mess!!! I was so proud of it.

I remember my first build, a Pyro 1/32 Alfa Romeo.  Mom helped me with it, as it required glue. It had no chrome and everything was white, including the tires. Mom thoght it would spice things up if we added some color to it, so we got some of her red nail polish and did it up. What a mess!!! I was so proud of it.

Now that's funny. At least the nail polish was your mother's idea! If you'd "borrowed" it for that, well - spanking time, right?

Dad used to build my models for me. Partly because I was way way to young, partly because he liked to build models. Then I got to build them myself, but he did the painting and decals, then just the decals, then I built them on my own start to finish without any help. Thanks dad for doing that. I wish we could still build models together.

Dad used to build my models for me. Partly because I was way way to young, partly because he liked to build models. Then I got to build them myself, but he did the painting and decals, then just the decals, then I built them on my own start to finish without any help. Thanks dad for doing that. I wish we could still build models together.

Same here. He was a closet builder, and would not admit it. I got a couple of models form him as a kid. I never saw him work on them. He just handed me the car. No box, no leftover parts. I didn't even have any input on the build, but I was happy to get them . I think he was happier to get the models I built of his cars when I was an adult, and gifted them to him.

Great stories! I can't wait to teach my grandson about carburetors, motorcycle riding, dirt ovals on Saturday night and what little I know about women. I also am on the edge of my seat about the time when he can come to Papa's house and build stuff in the hobby room. He may not end up enjoying it, but he sure will be offered every minute of time,every tool, paint and kit that I have. Seeing the pride in the faces of a child who made something with their own hands is reward enough.

My 1st model at the age of 8 was the brand new Monogram Z28, molded in a ghastly yellow, My dad helped with the white lettering on the tires using flat white and a toothpick. Despite the many incarnations that model ended up going through, (Paint jobs; Raising and lowering; Engine swaps; Etc...)  those perfectly lettered Good Years remained on the Camaro.