Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bitchn'Rides '50 Phantom Fleetside

Having owned a 1955 Chevrolet 1st Series pick up, I was blown away when I saw this truck being built by Kindig-it Design on the Velocity Network TV show "Bitchin'Rides".

A 1950 Chevrolet Phantom Fleetside Pick'em Up Truck.

50_Fleetside_05-vi.jpg

50_Fleetside_37-vi.jpg

50_Fleetside_47-vi.jpg

I became very interested in building a model of this truck. I contacted Kindig-it Design about my desire to build a replica of this vehicle.

They have been very supportive by providing a number of photographs and information on the build. Dave Kindig, himself wants me to keep him updated on the build as it progresses. I plan on taking the completed model to Salt Lake City for the 2017 GSL and also take it by Kindig-it Designs for a looky-loo.

The Phantom Fleetside has a GM LS3 6.2L V-8 engine with a Magnuson rear-drive supercharger. A Tremec T56 magnum 6 speed manual transmission. K&N air cleaner. A Ford 9-inch rear end. The chassis and suspension are from Art Morrison. Wheels are 19x8 front and 20x10 rear from Billet Specialties Legacy II G with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

The base model is the excellent AMT '50 Chevy Stepside:

DSCN1239-vi.jpg

I found a resin 1950 Chevy Panel truck from Star Models:

DSCN0992-vi.jpg

I found a nice engine/transmission in the following kit:

DSCN1236-vi.jpg

DSCN1112-vi.jpg

I made a mold of and resin casted the disc brakes from this kit also:

DSCN1231-vi.jpg

Now on to building an Art Morrison chassis and finding a Magnuson supercharger, Legacy II G wheels, etc.

thanx for looking'...

Very cool Curt! B)

Will be watching...

BTW, this version of the AMT '68 El Camino has wheels very similar, but won't be of the large diameter required for your build. MAY work with aluminum sleeves though...

Would be worth having wheels 3D printed for a project like this...;)

$_57.JPG

Edited by jeffs396

First, I need to build the Art Morrison chassis.

Found a photo of an Art Morrison chassis for early Chevy trucks:

T4753200-vi.jpg

Using the stock chassis as a guide, I modified the AMT '50 Chevy chassis to replicate a Morrison chassis:

DSCN1203-vi.jpg

While looking for an IFS and rear end for the build, I moved to fabricating the interior.

First were the seats, my friend Steve found a couple that were close. I built one up using miliput to get the shape just right. I then made a mold of it and resin cast them:

DSCN1219-vi.jpg

Next were the door panels and center console/armrest:

DSCN1221-vi.jpg

I then modified the dash to match:

DSCN1233-vi.jpg

Body modifications included filing in all the vents and modifying the rear quarter windows. The rear quarter windows are shorter than stock and raised from the belt line:

CAM00576-vi.jpg

I resin cast the stock rear quarter windows from the AMT Chevy kit:

DSCN1218-vi.jpg

I then glued the resin cast windows in place, then filed and sanded the opening to get the desired result:

DSCN1235-vi.jpg

After cutting the front/top from the resin Chevy panel truck, found a couple of inner bed wheel coverings from a discarded trailer kit in the parts bin and mated up to the AMT Chevy cab. I will be joining the resin bed to the cab along the door line.

DSCN1234-vi.jpg

More to come...

thanx for lookin'

Edited by curt raitz

One thing I noticed, and it might just be distortion from camera angle, but on the 1:1 the beltline molding on the quarter panels matched the beltline on the rear of the cab. This is one of the details that I was really impressed by with the original build. I think you're doing a great job, a couple of details on the frame are just a little different but aren't worth doing something to them unless you're really going for exact, and those are the running board brackets on the original don't have the bulky vertical piece that goes vertically up the side of the frame rail.

This one should really be ahead turner when you set it down on the table, I plan on watching this one very closely.

I think you can get one of the Tremec TKO six speeds from one of the newer Viper kits if you're interested, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they use another set of rear fenders and swap sides with them for the inner fenders in the bed? Could be that I'm confusing that feature with the Orange Chevy truck they did clean up work on, the older I get the more of these ideas seem to get thrown together and my memory of what file they come from gets confused.