Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 Ford Kustom Coupe

JustBill

Well it's been some time (1yr.+) since I've touched a model. I should start by saying hi to my friends, both of them, it's been too long it seems. About two weeks ago I started with the itch and ideas started flowing while I was working on other things not model related so I drug out this old coupe. It was one out of many models I picked up in a lot. There was a whole big box of someones old builds. Like 8 or so in the box with three of these '40's. Got the whole thing for like $5-10. Been a while so I can't remember exactly I just know it seemed silly cheap to pass up. The event that took place to get my brain moving with models again is an old custom car modeling book simply landed in my hands. In this book was an article from a fella that performed a step-by-step on how to chop the top on this very same kit. BAM! Light bulb!!! I have three of these kits!! Lets do something about that!! 

Hosted on Fotki

First things first. Let's be rid of those drip rails. I like them and am considering putting them back on after the chop. Just gonna be a chore to scrape all that dust back up and glue together. 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

So instead of traditionally stripping the car of its old paint I just started sanding. It makes for a gauge to see high and low spots and man did I find a bunch of those. My attention was quickly distracted from chopping the roof to molding the rear. I have an opportunity here to claim I carved this car from plastic. So sanding sticks, paper, scrapers, files, scibers and bobbers and doodads is what the past two evenings have been filled with. The trunk lid simply seemed nothing more than a mold line and it was wompy at that. I removed a bunch of material to pronounce the lid and flow the rear of the body to the rear fenders.  

Made a little guide line here to separate lid from body and show what I started with.

Hosted on Fotki

Here you can see some progress starting to take shape. I kept sanding till the body line showed up and also massaging the body to have a better flow to the fender. It was at this point I started thinking I must be crazy. You can also see the difference in hieght to were the body meets the fender. 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Oh geez, round two...

Hosted on Fotki

OK, so now I have a trunk lid and the body flows to the fenders much more better. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to mold the rear fenders to the body or simulate felt line. I will be lengthening the whole thing in the back regardless. Here is my progress as of now. Thanks for checking it out. Updates will be slow and steady is the plan. 

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Edited by JustBill

Well, looks love you've got a start.  Also looks like a case of lacquer burn to that plastic too, might have to do a skim coat of filler to bury it, seems to come back like ghosting emblems.  When you prime it make sure that you build it up in thin coats, (I've had it happen with primer by trying to do a heavy first coat).  For me the trick is to get the primer flashed off and then dried very quickly.

Back  to your Forty,  what are you doing for an engine? If the Buick Nailhead is still there it cleans up really well for '60's Nostalgia style if you use the triple carb version, the "Custom" Racing exhaust headers can be cleaned up and trimmed off to meet up with the dual exhaust systemm and looks good.  Flathead can be cleaned up as well, maybe toss in a resin intake and some hi-compression heads, again use or fabricate a dual exhaust and you have another winning combo. Dressed up small block Chev, Olds, Caddy, Y-block all would look great in that engine compartment as well.  Keep this one going, it's off to a great start!

I have an AMT 40 Coupe on my bench right now too, Buick engine, Modelhaus Chrome Reverse wheels whitewall slicks and fronts,  dechromed dropped front axle, no hood, went with a teal green which is close to a stock 40 color.  Done up '60's Hot Rod style, simple understated forty.  

For a model kit that's been around since the early 60's it can be built up to make a really nice 40 DeLuxe, same with the Tudor Sedan.

Thanks for your interest fellas. 

Skip, I haven't decided on the engine yet. I'm leaning toward the flat head though. Norm @ R & M of MD puts out some real nice upgrades for those. Plus I love the way they sound! And thanks for the tips with the body. I will use due diligence. 

Tom, as per your request I sharpened my saws and slept with them under my pillow for good luck the night before. I present to you a chop topped roof....

20150928_195516-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

20150928_200011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I removed two scale inches from the A pillars, three from the B to get my slope and the rear just rested where it landed. Went to the hardware store and got me one of them there five gallon buckets of floor glue to piece it back together. 

20150930_201202-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

20150930_201722-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

20150930_201919-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

A little perspective anyone????

20150930_202105-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

20150930_202143-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

20150930_202241-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OK, so now the fun is over and the real work begins. I'm in the process of filling, shaping, and sanding. Will update when I have something more presentable. Thanks for checking in. 

Edited by JustBill

That's coming out really nice, '37 - '40 Ford Coupes are really difficult to get the proportions down exactly right as in its not really a measurement thing it's a looks right thing.  Looks like you've got the "Looks Right Thing" down pat!

ive seen a '40 chopped, they added the material in the middle of the roof to stretch it, never looks right proportionally. Chopping is supposed to make the car look sleeker, not clunky like some do.

Well I have been stuck in the wading pool for a long time wanting to build a 40 Custom.  Your sir are drawing me to deeper water!

Thanks for sharing this project, I am following. 

Jump in James. After seeing your Merc you have my interest peaked as to what you can do. 

Thanks again for the comments and interest everyone. 

Sledsel, I love the name. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...