Model Cars Magazine Forum

Broken Dreams

BDSchindler

I am relatively new to this site and just recently found the Dioramas section here.  So I thought I'd share something I built a few years back.

First, let me give you a little background on me, I am a former modeler that way back when I was 17, hung up the tools for the sake of a real car and girls. For the last 15 years, I have been an avid diecast collector working within the hobby for several companies such as Lanes Automotive, GMP, Highway 61, Icons, Franklin Mint Danbury Mint and West Coast Precision Diecast.  I have also written for Toy Cars and Models Magazine in a standing monthly column "A 1:24 hour Hobby".  After that magazine folded, I wrote for the poorly managed The Car Room Magazine.  The Car Room Magazine (aka T.C.R.M.) was a great magazine in the beginning.  It was owned by a guy that more involved with himself than anything else.  I know Joe Kelly for over 10 years and not once did I ever doubt him.  After 2 years of "we're not turning enough of a profit to be able to pay you", I quit and took him to court for the money owed (had a contract).

When I quit writing and the court case was over with me as the winner of a decent settlement, I started to think about the Diecast collecting hobby and I had a premonition.  The following dumpster is filled with representative of manufactures that all ended up with Broken Dreams by going out of business.  Diecast cars to represent ERTL 1/18th scale diecast, boxes representative of GMP and Franklin Mint and hundreds of copies of The Car Room Magazine.  It was in part therapy as well as a middle finger salute to someone I trusted more than my own brother at times.

The dumpster is scratch built in 1/12th scale and the display case is one used to house Basketballs.

Enjoy the photos and ask any questions you want...

Broken_Dreams_1.thumb.jpg.86e1a5cc7d6412Broken_Dreams_2.thumb.jpg.f47e279f9f7625Broken_Dreams_3.thumb.jpg.45ad90cb2c5d08Broken_Dreams_4.thumb.jpg.f251098cfd5fdbBroken_Dreams_5.thumb.jpg.7fff53a22685f6Broken_Dreams_6.thumb.jpg.4ab0955a87c526Broken_Dreams_7.thumb.jpg.7a166632159169Broken_Dreams_8.thumb.jpg.c236443b7169e2Broken_Dreams_9.thumb.jpg.698dd96e1bb05cBroken_Dreams_11.thumb.jpg.f7a94681419c1Broken_Dreams_12.thumb.jpg.a0ca6743fc96b

Edited by BDSchindler

Wow! The level of detail is spectacular! Nicely done. B)

What are the sources of the bottles, cans, etc. in the dumpster?

Thanks guys, once upon a time many years ago, I was fortunate to land an intern spot in the model shop for the Transportation and American History Smithsonian Museums.  My parents were friends with one of the heads of the Shop when I was 16 (now 57).

The cars are actually 144th scale diecast cars that were manufactured by Racing Champions, the company that bought out the ERTL Toy Company and subsequently ran the itself into the ground by overproducing the snot out all scales in diecast market just like they did the NASCAR diecast market.  The GMP and Franklin Mint boxes are photo reduced to 1/12th copies of real boxes that both companies packaged their products in.  Assorted bottles and cans were purchased from Hobby Lobby over int he Doll House accessories dept.

Dogs and Rat were vinyl animals also found in Hobby Lobby...the trick was to heat and bend the Dalmatian's leg that is taking a leak on the stack of magazines without scorching it.  The magazines are photo reduced to 1/12th the original size of the covers and spread throughout.  There are nearly 500 of the magazine covers in there.

The dumpster was made after photographing and measuring an actual dumpster.  Made from sheet polystyrene and various shapes were glued then things were heated and "beat up" to look like so many of the modern day dumpsters.  Once complete, primed and painted Krylon Green and added the rust details.  Some of the rust was actually a metalizing powder that you heat to give an appearance of metal...I just never heated it.  After that just dirtied it all up.

The decals were stock photos readily available on the innerwebs printed onto white Testors decal paper with a thin coat of fixative applied...once applied, Micro-sol decal setting solution was used to soften and let the decals actually melt to a degree on the dumpster.

The fun part was the fictional newspaper that is also on the right hand side entitled "Hookers-R-Us" a Hobbiest Newspaper to Adult Entertainment.  Only the fictitious front page was done with  headlines like "Tiger's "Woodie" - Is It Stiffer Than his Putter?" and "How To" articles like "Stilettos for the Street!".  This idea stemmed from rumors of the magazine reps attending a car show in Monterey and some after hours hi-jinks that took place (I wasn't there, fortunately!).

It was great therapy for me as it took a while to shake all of the garbage that took place after I quit the Magazine.  So much mud slinging that if one person just simply did the right thing rahter than try to profit from lying and orchestrating more drama than all of the daytime soap operas combined.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.  A couple of things I forgot to mention regarding the correlation between The Car Room Magazine and Broken Dreams.

The Motto of the magazine was always "For Collectors, BY Collectors"

The Magazine was always referred to as "TCRM" in forums...an acronym for The Car Rom Magazine

it just so happened that when I created and applied the fictitious name of the refuse company that SUDDENLY some similarities came surging forward perhaps in a Freudian manner ;)

See anything similar?

Broken_Dreams_3.thumb.jpg.eb78cfd3fe3c0d

The irony... I was just looking on youtube for stuff on the Munsters Koach and the Dragula... and I stumbled across a video from "the car room magazine" and the guy was talking about the die cast or plastic built up reissues of the two cars... and I kept thinking where have I seen that name before??? oh, yeah, right here.