Model Cars Magazine Forum

multiple projects

I find myself working on multiple projects lately, but not more than three at one time.  Sometimes I get bored with a project and need to switch up, sometimes I get frustrated and need to switch up, sometimes I may be working within a particular theme or color scheme, sometimes I may work on multiple items with the intent to parts-swap and kitbash.  On a couple of occasions I have started additional projects in the hopes of having more finished builds to bring to a show.

I build models from multiple genres, sometimes that will lead me to start an additional project while one is already going.

The more projects I start the fewer I finish so these last few years I've stayed focused on most projects from start to finish and not indulge my urge to start something else. However there's always time to lay plans for another project, just don't actually start it. That also goes for not indulging my urge to add to my stash.

I usually only have one project on the bench at a time.

However, I have tons of started projects. And most of them remain unfinished for no particular reason. What I've realized lately is that I enjoy the instant gratification of the mock-up stages. And once it gets to the point where I'm making all the small details work or getting ready for paint I get bored and then something shiny distracts me into starting something new.

I have so many projects that could probably be finished pretty quickly, if I would just get back to them. But since I don't build box stock, the hard part is remembering how that project goes together. When you've got a project in your hands and your constantly assembling and disassembling you remember how that need to go here and you have to angle this way to get everything to fit. Once I'm away from it for awhile it never seems go back together like it used to. Does this happen to anyone else?

I usually only have one project on the bench at a time.

However, I have tons of started projects. And most of them remain unfinished for no particular reason. What I've realized lately is that I enjoy the instant gratification of the mock-up stages. And once it gets to the point where I'm making all the small details work or getting ready for paint I get bored and then something shiny distracts me into starting something new.

I have so many projects that could probably be finished pretty quickly, if I would just get back to them. But since I don't build box stock, the hard part is remembering how that project goes together. When you've got a project in your hands and your constantly assembling and disassembling you remember how that need to go here and you have to angle this way to get everything to fit. Once I'm away from it for awhile it never seems go back together like it used to. Does this happen to anyone else?

That is exactly the same situation I find myself in. The lure of a new project over rides getting these others I have all but done finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I have so many projects that could probably be finished pretty quickly, if I would just get back to them. 

Every year I have off from work between Christmas and New Years.  I wanted to work on a project during that time but the first year I realized that I didn't have the time in that week, with disruptions for holiday and family activities and get togethers, to build a model start to finish.  So I decided that each year I'd find a long languishing but deserving model and finish it!  I always have those that are 50-80% done, but had been stalled for some reason.  So every year I finish one.  

Every year I have off from work between Christmas and New Years.  I wanted to work on a project during that time but the first year I realized that I didn't have the time in that week, with disruptions for holiday and family activities and get togethers, to build a model start to finish.  So I decided that each year I'd find a long languishing but deserving model and finish it!  I always have those that are 50-80% done, but had been stalled for some reason.  So every year I finish one.  

I always enjoy watching your Amnesty builds.

My friend Randy are trying something similar. I have picked one of his builds and told him to finish it by our Spring club meeting, and he is going to pick one of mine, so I need to finish it by then as well. I'm looking forward to it because it shows that someone else thinks your project is worth finishing, so it gives you motivation

usually, i will have two going at once, but that is usually a car and a big rig. lately though, i have 4 going at once. but, the 4 are essentially the same car, so that makes it a little less confusing. i currently have 2 lindberg 66 chevelles going and 2 revell 66 chevelle kits going [wagon and elco].

my problem lately is painting......i get a good dust free paint job and figure, 'well, the air in here is good, lets prep and paint a few more bodies', then it spirals out of control and bam, 4 or 5 things are on the bench.....

I always enjoy watching your Amnesty builds.

My friend Randy are trying something similar. I have picked one of his builds and told him to finish it by our Spring club meeting, and he is going to pick one of mine, so I need to finish it by then as well. I'm looking forward to it because it shows that someone else thinks your project is worth finishing, so it gives you motivation

Peer pressure is a wonderful thing!  :D   Over the years I've had friends ask whatever happened to a certain model, and that input often influences my Amnesty Build choice. Last  year I got into the two way challenge and it was fun.  Marty Neyrinck had this neat Nash Metropolitan gasser that sat unfinished on his bench for a long time. It would appear in the background of his "in progress" shots of other builds, so I started to pester him about finishing it.  He responded that he'd finish the Met if I'd finish the Volare messenger car.   That was a suitable  challenge to get myself in gear. In the end both cars got finished so we both benefitted!