Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to get your Christmas tree home

IceMan Collections

Here is my last complete build.  It's my MOTM entry for the holiday theme.

Resin 1956 Ford Country Squire.

I'm thinking about a few more trees in the background. I love it even though there are a few flaws like I noticed I should have sprinkled more snow on the front end to get a comparable amount on the wreath. What else could I have done better? 

Joel, I love the overall theme and execution. It's a cool model for sure.

You asked for critique, so I will give some.  I know the interior is somewhat obscured in this build with snow on windows, and the main focus being the exterior.  But here's a few things I observed in the interior.   First, be more careful with your color separation lines.  I always use tape for a clean edge, and most often would spray the colors. You could use either Tamiya tape or Bare Metal Foil for the masking.  For instance, the bottom of the red on the dashboard would be fine if you had a simple straight piece of tape along the bottom edge.

Second, the seat belts.  Notice that these are a modern design seat belt. Belts were rare in the 1950s and would have been a large chrome buckle. It's cool to include seat belts in a 1956 Ford though, since the company ran a safety campaign that year highlighting seat belts, safety glass and padded dashboards.  If you are adding seat belts, you need to add some thickness to the buckle end.  The photo etch piece is flat and you can see that in your finished model. I glue the piece to a thin sheet of plastic, with the loop end sticking over the edge. Once dry, simply cut the other three edges flush with the photo etch edge. Then dab the sides with silver paint, even a paint marker. The edges won't be all that visible but the thickness will be noticed.  Hopefully you can see this in the below photo.

IMG 2333

Carl, John, Ken, Mark, Bo, Charlie, Gene, Richard, Mike, Ron and Tom - Thank you so much.  I appreciate you guys taking time to leave comments.

Mark - I didn't think about that.  Probably using a wet brush to remove some of the snow from the middle of the hood would capture that effect.

John - :D Christmas is already everywhere.  I wanted to make sure I beat the deadline for the MOTM as well!

Charlie - The snow is from Woodland Scenics pictured below.

Tom - You're right that using tape would have given me a cleaner line. I didn't think of BMF and it would've helped a lot because I used the same paint I used on the body so it was thin and it seeped through the blue tape I used on the door panels. I also see what you mean about the seat belts.  I will try that next  time.  I didn't even think of the style.  I love how you added the thickness though. Also noticed that my seat belts are a bit longer than they should be. I appreciate the tips.

3CD2B3C9-92C3-463E-804D-E347187FE626.jpg

Edited by iceman-555

Iceman -555, what an exellent, exellent job you did. Don't you just love the holiday season. Seeing this not only gets me more in to the holiday spirit but brings back countless memories for me. Thanks iceman -555 and happy holidays to you and everyone else. 

Jeff