Model Cars Magazine Forum

ATM 1937 Chevy Coupe Stovebolt

Fanof69

Ok this one gave me problems it seemed like at every turn. From the paint(my fault) to general fit problems throughout. I cant remember how many times this thing took the purple bath(at least four that I remember). But I know that was on me. Some of the fit problems that I had are:

1. Had to do some grinding and sanding on the frame to get the interior and body to fit on frame(still not quite right IMO). 

2. Grill sits a little too high for hood to sit properly.

3. Air cleaner assembly sits too high making hood sit even higher negating problem # 2.

4. I did not install braces under the hood because the left one would have go directly thru the air cleaner:wacko:.

5. This one is minor but the hubcaps don't really fit on the wheels very well.

Ok enough complaining on to the pics.

Oh I forgot this is a 3 in 1 kit that I built as mostly stock.

I used the custom grill from the kit because I liked the look a little better. The stock grill did not fit any better.

Here you can see the affect of the too tall air cleaner. Also you can see at the rear where the body doesn't quite meet the running board.

This is the first build that i used the wire distributor.

The kit came with just the one taillight that was stock for that year. I was going to try and make one for the other side, but ended up losing it, so I borrowed these from another kit.

Great finish, and the engine looks really good!

I wonder if sanding a little off the rear and bottom edges of the hood side panels would let the hood sit down a bit lower in front? Maybe thinning down the air cleaner a bit might help, too. I've had similar problems with some other kits.

Sam

Thanks for the kind words everyone! 

Which is why I built mine into a gasser! Lol.

I seriously considered that after I started having all the fit issues, but I had finally gotten a decent paint job on it so I gritted my teeth, said my fare share of cuss words and pushed on:D.

I built this same model for my Mom (her and Dad had one in the 60's) and had the exact same problems you described.  You did a nice job!

Believe me there were more than a few times this almost got thrown back in box and back on the shelf.

I also have the 1966 Ford Galaxie  from the ATM retro series in my stash. Hoping it doesn't suffer the same problems.

This is very nice. We can be pretty hard critics of ourselves, that gap by the rear fender is problematic, but if you look around there are some shocking gaps on the hood of 1-1 cars on much newer vehicles than this. I think we often try to provide better quality control than the factories themselves churn out, and quite a bit higher than some vehicles after they have been on the road a few years.

There is a lady at work with an old Blazer and I can fit my whole thumb, maybe even 2 fingers into the gap where the hood meets the fender.