Model Cars Magazine Forum

No more Ferrari car kits...?

Matt Bacon

Oh, don't worry... I disagree with myself half the time...

I'm as much of a Ferrari fanboy as anybody -- you should see my bookshelves, and about half the models I've built feature a prancing horse. There's no more powerful brand in the auto industry. But they need to remember that it's the cars that make the brand a winner, not the other way around. It might be just sour grapes on my part, but, I can't think it does any good to try to maximise the revenue from brand licensing at the expense of feeding the global "fan-base" which includes all of us who build the models but can't afford buy the real thing.

With luck, this'll turn out to be just a hiatus driven by the change of ownership, and before long we'll be back to normal service, with kits from all the usual suspects. Maybe even of the "Manifesto" concepts...

bestest,

M.

Ah, I get your point now.  Well, not being being under Chrysler Fiat may change things.  Mebbe not for us as model builders, but perhaps in other aspects.

Not sure where the licensing will go, but I hope it will work out.  I am more concerned that RoG sees a car like the F12 and thinks it too much like the 599 to do a version :o  Same with the California T, 488, etc.  I know RoG basically orients to the German market and Europe as a expansion of that.  But that is somewhat myopic given some of the cars.  I can see not doing the FF (even though I think it should have been done), but an F12 TdF, 488, 488 Spyder?  Come on.  I will now get off my soapbox and take my meds :rolleyes:

6 or so months ago I wrote Tesla, to probe their interest of having their cars reproduced as 1/25th scale model kits, but never got a reply....

I am not surprised ,  legal reason's is probably why,  you submitted unsolicited product idea's to a company,   them not replying does not imply that there is no interest,   and also you are not representing any company that could produce a model kit, so they really had no reason to reply to you.

And ideally,  it should be in 1/24th , but I guess, 1/25th would be ok too.

6 or so months ago I wrote Tesla, to probe their interest of having their cars reproduced as 1/25th scale model kits, but never got a reply....

This is probably on the limits of the boardrules and quite a bit off-topic for this one but I think that Tesla might not be interested in plastic model kits as they are (apparently) concerned about the environment and in many of these "green" think-tanks there is talk about banning plastics for use in consumer products. Now, the plastic kit industry is a very small one compared to toys and other things but if we are about to get a ban on products made of plastic from "fossil energy" it is very likely that the Tesla company are going to stay away from that aswell.

This is probably on the limits of the boardrules and quite a bit off-topic for this one but I think that Tesla might not be interested in plastic model kits as they are (apparently) concerned about the environment and in many of these "green" think-tanks there is talk about banning plastics for use in consumer products. Now, the plastic kit industry is a very small one compared to toys and other things but if we are about to get a ban on products made of plastic from "fossil energy" it is very likely that the Tesla company are going to stay away from that aswell.

Me thinks you hit the nail on the head. 

Ferrari's spin-off into a separate company is the most plausible explanation for the contract cessation; I suspect this will get rectified quickly as it's probably a significant source of revenue. 

Curious, though. Why Maserati, too? Did they also get spun off, or is this Fiat being idiotic?

Charlie Larkin

Ha. You said Fiat and idiotic in same sentence. :) You guessed it I think. 

Maserati getting lumped in with Alfa and Lancia it seems. Still sources motors from Ferrari, some cars painted there. The sales projections for Alfa and Maserati are a scream. Fiat buying their product planners great crack. 

Great brands getting diluted and deluded. :huh:

According to Revell Germany's spokesman, Ferrari has withdrawn its brand license, so Revell can't at the moment make any Ferrari kits (which means that the 250SWB reissue is canned yet again...). Revell is not  the only one, either. We also know that FIAT Group withheld the license for Airfix to use the Maserati name, scuppering the re-release of the 1/32 Indy. 

Well, they should say bye bye Ferrari and start making Lamborghini kits. There are enough interesting subjects that they can find.

I guess this means that either:

FIAT Group/Ferrari want too much money for their brand licenses and model kit vendors  can't afford to pay them and make money on the kits.

FIAT Group/Ferrari has decided on an exclusive deal with one vendor (though how they could make more money that way than with all the kit and diecast manufacturers paying license fees on all their sales volume, I don't care to guess)

The second is more probable. I remember something like 10 year ago Ferrari licenses were limited to Mattel.

Ferrari is going to make its OWN kits.

That would be interesting to see.

It's all a negotiating tactic.

Also possible.

OMG, I just read that Marchionne will remain chairman of Ferrari!, is this true?

If so, he's like a venereal wart!

Total bummer.

Worse. A wart that wants to take over the world. 

Production will go up, cars get uglier, and they're already difficult about selling engines in F1. Piero owns 10% but he's passive. I'm waiting for more hatchbacks for 400k and the inevitable sport ute. Maserati doing one, SUV saved Porsche, so why not Ferrari? Shoot me now. 

Beat Sergio to punch with FF lift kit. 

I saw it still listed, I'd expect if it generates money, they may hurry along, and Rev G is previous licensee. Italeri kit wonderful. 

Edited by keyser
Tower listing

Uglier?

Why Lee, what ever could you possibly mean?

Well, kids, just slap a bunch of extraneous cr@p on an F12 kit, bump the price 40%, and sell it to "special customers". 

My Speciale is special. This thing makes a Z07 look subdued, and a lot more fluid. Plus, it's a hatchback! Sweet. No room for bags like my 599, but "better". Guess the axe they bought the styling department getting used, this thing and the 488 both have hacks. 250, 4-cam, 512TR all had nice ventilation detail. The new stuff is just ludicrous. Door is Hyundai Genesis, but less integrated. So, so sad. 

Hey Chuck, flogging along. Keeping RS, had G63 for a few weeks, now Huracan. That thing is way nicer of line than 488. Your Pocher build made me look at Lambos, 200 cars, this is first. Goes like stink, way faster than they say. I can't close console with V1 plugged in, no iPod USB jacks. My 6+ too long and wide for console, falls out of door pockets, so i drive with it shoved under leg. Not long for the garage, but because rocket it'll stay for a bit. 600mi in 2 weeks, haven't washed it. 

Sorry, prob shoulda used pm but anyway. 

Buy a Z07, a GT3RS, and an S63 for same money. Or an F450, 33 foot 5th wheel trailer, C6 Z07 track prepped, a late 550 Maranello, and a 360 Stradale with money left for slicks and gas. Hmmm. 

/rant. :lol:

Yup, just what I was getting at.  Word 'round the campfire is the TD is a righteous kick in the pants - but looks-wise?  Yeesh.  F12 with warts and forced retro cues, not quite up to the cohesiveness of even the LF. Won't kick one off my shelf though.

Glad you got your Huracan, Doc!  Tickled to influence such a choice, too. Mine's still held up at the Pocher factory (won't fit a 6 anywhere, never you mind a plus), seems all hands are on the Panigale right now.  Seen some 'Cans 'round North Bay/Marin in Verde Mantis and Arancio Borealis. Hot, hot, hot.  Rags all sez Veyron-quick, too.

Still got a case of mad lust for the '3 RS - them front wing vents just DO it for me, somehow...

Keep on flogging!

Rags all sez Veyron-quick, too.

Still got a case of mad lust for the '3 RS - them front wing vents just DO it for me, somehow...

Verified. Took couple runs, stupid chemo neuropathy so hard to feel chrono button on wheel. I saw 2.5-2.6 sec for a few runs, so repeatable. No launch control. 

GT3RS is far better actual car than 'Can. Plus tracking at COTA is no contest. Still, missile is missile. And the Huracan is great looking car, evil headlights.It and the wagon only 2 cars I've ever had that people move over for. Happened 4 times today, no flash, was just driving, they moved over. People like Lambos far more than Ferraris in real world when you're rolling. 

Edited by keyser
blahnicht

It and the wagon only 2 cars I've ever had that people move over for.

Well, perhaps they prefer Ferraris in the rear veiw so they can look at the rear view.  Kinda like one ponders a beautiful painting.  Were with the Lambos, its like ok pass me please.

People like Lambos far more than Ferraris in real world when you're rolling. 

Well I don't.  They are a great looking car but seem very very similar to one another   They all seem to cast a similar shadow or silhouette (I imagine).

Plus I never really liked bulls, too brutish.

PS  I've just read the history of Lamborghini on there site, wow, beautiful. A great read!

Edited by aurfalien

You almost do. Take the Revell Snap '15 Corvette and do a little tweaking to the body :D

Given that the F12 came first, I don't think so.  There is a lot of difference between the two :mellow:  You know, everybody has their likes and dislikes in car styles.  I try to keep an open mind about design.  There are a lot of factors that go into styling any car and there will be fans and detractors.  For example, I don't like Mustangs, but enjoy that people who do get a chance for one.  It is nice to see that Revell of Germany will do a McLaren 570S this year along with the AMG GT.  A lot of people will enjoy that, even though the 570S is the lower end of the line and a lot would love the P1.

I subscribe to the "it will work out" theory.  But there are a lot of candidates for models that would be nice to see produced, especially in the Sports Sedan range.  I have a big enough stash of unbuilt exotics that I could go along for some years without getting a new one (doesn't mean I won't
;)) .  There are also a lot of options to do Pro-Touring versions of American cars. 

I guess we'll just wait and see.

Just shocked me after years of driving Fcars. Lane discipline and über haul prestige non existent here. I'd agree I'm bigger Fcar fan than others, Huracan is first vs 19. Lambo makes pretty good cars now VAG owns them. I buy motors attached to nice cars. The 10 is great motor. But car isn't a keeper. 

Some awesome diecast Huracan, F12, no 488 I've seen. Kalifornia who cares, it's an SL with horsey. 

Nice 650S and P1 diecasts. Still no 991 GT3 or GT3RS. Missing boat there, I think only 1 997 kit? The Fujimi 997 cup car. Diecasts pretty limited too. Welly seems to have Porsche license. 

Odd Tamiya hasn't done anything Porsche. Cayman GT4, 991 GT3 and RS would be welcome  they did 934 so have license for something  

I can't really comment with any validity as I just got into this hobby last year.

But as I peruse the scale car model market both in what's for sale, what's no longer for sale and casters who are no longer around, it seems that the hobby started to contract in ~2008ish?

The great generation that is the baby boomers are retiring/passing away/very poor heath and there aren't many eager to pass the baton too.