Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell AG Mercedes AMG GT

martinfan5

One would only hope because this car has six optional wheels from the factory! 

mbwheels.thumb.PNG.0ea3b557d31a723db7def

If you look closely, that's only 3 different wheels, but they are each offered in 2 very different finishes. Regardless, what's shown on the prototype is not prototypical of any factory wheels, and they look tame compared to the real wheels on the real car. Plamoz really does nice wheels, I have them on my i8 and soon on my 918 Spyder. I also have their ZR1 Cup wheels that also replace Revell's lame/undersized wheels in that kit. 

I'd also like to point out that the 95 piece part count we're sorta lamenting here is the same parts count (according to the instructions pdf) as the '83 H/O Cutlass, and while that kit certainly has flavors of 1986 Monogram the way it builds up it certainly has an engine, and a chassis with separate pieces (as compared to the promo nature of the pre-painted Revell kits).

With the FXX-K having 154 parts BEFORE the 2 separate Detail Up Sets, I'm O.K. with not every kit being a tour de force on my bench.  Just nail the shapes right,  and I'll Plamoz myself out of the wheels.

Funny some guy in his basement in Hong Kong can figure out how to fix RevellAG's wheels,  but millions of Euros worth of kit development has come up empty.

Funny some guy in his basement in Hong Kong can figure out how to fix RevellAG's wheels,  but millions of Euros worth of kit development has come up empty.

None of which helps if the guy who designs your wheels is labouring under a misapprehension. The scaling of Revell AG's supercar wheels and tyres is spot on -- if you don't know that a 20" wheel is not 20" across the bit you can see... it's 21"

bestest,

M.

For me, the problem with the wheels in this case is not so much about size, but the fact they look nothing like either of the three factory options... And even when RoG does manage to get the shape of their wheels to remotely resemble the real thing, like with the SLS kit and most of their Ferraris I've seen, they are somehow "thick" (for lack of a better word) in appearance....

Or the other problem is that Revell's wheels lack fidelity. For example, whereas the spokes on the 1:1 wheel might square and sharp, the spokes on a Revell 1:24 wheel always seem rounded and soft.

Edited by BVC500

• 7 months later...

Took the words out of my mouth,but i'm in for a few of these.

Especially If you add this : with the addition of the 585PS GT-R and new roadster, the whole GT range is being upgraded. That's what the european car-configurator shows. So these wheels may be outdated even before the model is released. :lol:

Edited by Young iron

• 2 weeks later...

The SLS AMG has 141 parts. Ferrari SA Aperta 128. Audi R8 106; C7 easy build (pre-painted) 56; Easy build 2013 ZL1 has 48.  So, I am leaning towards more than an Easy Build but definitely not a Snap.  I am trying to find out more. 

Revell AG use a different method for the skill level. For example their version of the 48 ford woody is a skill 5 but exactly the same as the US version at skill 3.