Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell AG Mercedes AMG GT

martinfan5

Hmm. Skill 3, but 95 parts.  Maybe we aren't looking at snappers after all...

The SLS AMG has 141 parts. Ferrari SA Aperta 128. Audi R8 106; C7 easy build (pre-painted) 56; Easy build 2013 ZL1 has 48.  So, I am leaning towards more than an Easy Build but definitely not a Snap.  I am trying to find out more. 

The SLS AMG has 141 parts. Ferrari SA Aperta 128. Audi R8 106; C7 easy build (pre-painted) 56; Easy build 2013 ZL1 has 48.  So, I am leaning towards more than an Easy Build but definitely not a Snap.  I am trying to find out more. 

The McLaren is 105 parts.

If you look under the hood of a AMG GT, there's not a whole lot to look at, everything is shrouded in plastic.  I can't see tooling up a 15 part engine if you can see precisely 5 pieces of it.  The fact that the i8 and 918s have the little hybrid motors tooled up that you never see again always puzzled me about both those kits. 

I know some will wail at the lack of a "full detail" engine, but they were never going to buy a $30+ RoG kit to steal the engine in the first place.

The McLaren is 105 parts.

If you look under the hood of a AMG GT, there's not a whole lot to look at, everything is shrouded in plastic.  I can't see tooling up a 15 part engine if you can see precisely 5 pieces of it.  The fact that the i8 and 918s have the little hybrid motors tooled up that you never see again always puzzled me about both those kits. 

I know some will wail at the lack of a "full detail" engine, but they were never going to buy a $30+ RoG kit to steal the engine in the first place.

Right, it is very puzzling they went through all the trouble and expense of tooling up the engines for them just be hidden, really, the i8 and 918 are the perfect subjects to have been done as that evil word, curbside.

Right, it is very puzzling they went through all the trouble and expense of tooling up the engines for them just be hidden, really, the i8 and 918 are the perfect subjects to have been done as that evil word, curbside.

My i8 is completely curbside, and you cannot tell whatsoever. I saved a lot of time not building stuff that would never be seen. I just can't quite figure out what I'll do to attempt to make the 918 engine cover look like mesh...the decals are gold! The mesh is black! Sigh.

That does not look too shabby... The wheels are pretty bad as per usual for RoG, but I'm sure Hobby Design is tooling a replacement as we write this (I only wish they'd be more sensible with their pricing), and the color of the model is quite unfortunate and a bit dull, but I've seen the real car in yellow and it is a much nicer effect... Zero paints will most certainly mix up some colors according to factory codes ;)

As for the low parts count, yes, it is apparent that this kit won't be quite as detailed and spectacularly tooled as the SLS (I wonder if it features any detail whatsoever under the hood), but its proportions do look nice enough and it seems like it will be an easy, enjoyable kit to build, that'll look great on the shelf. I'm in line for one for sure :D 

Edited by PowerPlant

How many of the 146 parts are dedicated to the opening doors? Between the sheet metal, door panels, hinges, et al? Now delete them all out since the AMG GT has traditional doors and they don't open on this kit...I bet that knocks the SLS down into the 120s.

RevellAG said they were looking at getting back to the basics of modeling, and perhaps that means kits with a few less parts. Sort of the way the Lexus LFA was way over the top for Tamiya and they wound their engineering department back in after that. Even Mr. Tamiya himself said that kit was probably way more than it needed to be - in terms of parts that you never saw again once you put all the chassis aero panels onto the kit.

How many of the 146 parts are dedicated to the opening doors? Between the sheet metal, door panels, hinges, et al? Now delete them all out since the AMG GT has traditional doors and they don't open on this kit...I bet that knocks the SLS down into the 120s.

RevellAG said they were looking at getting back to the basics of modeling, and perhaps that means kits with a few less parts. Sort of the way the Lexus LFA was way over the top for Tamiya and they wound their engineering department back in after that. Even Mr. Tamiya himself said that kit was probably way more than it needed to be - in terms of parts that you never saw again once you put all the chassis aero panels onto the kit.

The La Ferrari is pretty crazy engineering wise, but they could have done better things with the dash and seats by making them multi piece to aid in painting. The carrera GT was a great kit due to the separate pieces for the interior and headlights which made painting easier. Just my opinion.

My i8 is completely curbside, and you cannot tell whatsoever. I saved a lot of time not building stuff that would never be seen. I just can't quite figure out what I'll do to attempt to make the 918 engine cover look like mesh...the decals are gold! The mesh is black! Sigh.

Right, I will probably do same whenever I get around to building mine.

So I went and looked. The SLS AMG has 137 pieces, not 146. Of those 9 are specifically dedicated to the opening doors, so that does in fact knock it back into the 120s. There's a lot of buried detail in the SLS too like the top of transaxle cover, most of that complex transaxle itself, a wildly over engineered front suspension. You start simplifying assemblies - did there REALLY need to be a separate third brake light for example and you can easily get into that 100 part range and still have an engine. 

Pressing question of the evening: will the roof, which looks to be just painted black on the prototype model, be offered in glass per the real car???  One could only hope, but I doubt it.

Two more things: 1) I think the AMG GT lends itself to fewer parts. In addition to what's already been discussed, I'll add that it probably won't have separate bumpers like the SLS and will have fewer interior parts than the SLS.

2) I don't see the LaFerrari or LFA as over-engineered, but rather typical Tamiya. I actually wish Tamiya had done a bit more engineering on the LaFerrari to include some of the missing wiring for the hybrid system, and as bennyg said, multi-piece dash and seats.

Edited by BVC500

Pressing question of the evening: will the roof, which looks to be just painted black on the prototype model, be offered in glass per the real car???  One could only hope, but I doubt it.

Two more things: 1) I think the AMG GT lends itself to fewer parts. In addition to what's already been discussed, I'll add that it probably won't have separate bumpers like the SLS and will have fewer interior parts than the SLS.

2) I don't see the LaFerrari or LFA as over-engineered, but rather typical Tamiya. I actually wish Tamiya had done a bit more engineering on the LaFerrari to include some of the missing wiring for the hybrid system, and as bennyg said, multi-piece dash and seats.

I completely agree with that about the hybrid wiring system.

The car is a more goldish metallic in person, the paint in this picture looks more like a pure yellow. 

To be fair to Revell, these are early prototypes. They might be going to introduce that paint into their range, and certainly even Hiroboy isn't selling it yet. The guy who built the model probably went with what there was...

bestest,

M.

To be fair to Revell, these are early prototypes. They might be going to introduce that paint into their range.

I doubt Revell will offer a whole new factory correct paint color just for one model, especially a car... They've certainly never done that before. Zero paints is the company my money is on to make the best factory colors for a scale model of the AMG GT. 

So I went and looked. The SLS AMG has 137 pieces, not 146. Of those 9 are specifically dedicated to the opening doors, so that does in fact knock it back into the 120s. There's a lot of buried detail in the SLS too like the top of transaxle cover, most of that complex transaxle itself, a wildly over engineered front suspension. You start simplifying assemblies - did there REALLY need to be a separate third brake light for example and you can easily get into that 100 part range and still have an engine. 

I used the count off their website as I didn't want to pull it out of the stash.  I think you are right on your analysis though.  Other than I have picked up a couple of CHEAP exotics at swap meets to get parts, most people would not acquire for a parts kit.

One would only hope because this car has six optional wheels from the factory! 

mbwheels.thumb.PNG.0ea3b557d31a723db7def

I hope so too.  Not only are their wheels smallish, they often choose the lamest variant.

I completely agree with that about the hybrid wiring system.

Add me to that list as well.  I have some detail photos to correct it, but shouldn't have to given the overall detail in the kit.

I doubt Revell will offer a whole new factory correct paint color just for one model, especially a car... They've certainly never done that before. Zero paints is the company my money is on to make the best factory colors for a scale model of the AMG GT. 

Zero or Gravity would be my first bet.  Scale Finishes also will likely step up.  Release dates appear to be late in the year, so there is time.