Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

The cost of trading kits

if you think shipping costs for a trade are expensive, just imagine how expensive it is to donate. at least with a trade, you get something in return. all the thank yous in the world don't pay the rent or electric bill.

True Harold but for some donating kits,etc. to others is its own reward knowing there donated items will help make others happy and give them something to do.  I donate kits,etc. to a disabled builders group when I can just to help out but cant do it often and yes it can get expensive. I have also sent others a needed part or two for their project or build....and often in return if I need something and they have one they will send it to me as well.  Trading has to get both parties something they could use or like...some things old or new are not available in other areas and it helps others get things they are looking for.  I am happy to trade with others do it all the time. 

Edited by disabled modeler

On ebay the buyer pays the shipping unless stated free shipping. Sending 1 kit to an address may be $7.75 and to send 3 kits to the same address may be $11.25. Plus if you have a USPS account you get a discount printing your own postage ...

Seems to be a floating USPS discount of about 10-14% that changes without notice or reason.

Most dealers such as Tower pay about 60% of list price. If they work as a distributer it can be 45% and 10 more. Sounds like a lot but expenses and shipping can eat that up. Plus some stuff can sit on the shelf for a long time if it turns out to be a bad seller.

Trading hasn't really worked all that well for me .

I figure by the time I factor in what I have in my kit , plus ad postage to get the one I want . I can just buy the one I want and keep the one I have usually for less than what I'll have it it as a trade.

Not trying to sound mean, just I prefer to not loose money if I can avoid it.  Older long  out of production kits is a different story . I actually just did a trade to get a 1960 Oldsmobile builtup. using an unbuilt Johan 63 Fury as trade material. I certainty think it was a fair deal ( at least I hope the other party is happy with the deal ,,,I know I am )

Parts request is a different story, and I've done a couple parts trades with a few members with good results for both sides. But most of the time if I see a wanted ad for parts, and I have it with no immediate use for it and its not something to hard to replace should I happen need it later on. ,,,,,. I'll just send it with no worries on my end to get anything in return . To me its just most likely collecting dust anyway .

Parts request is a different story, and I've done a couple parts trades with a few members with good results for both sides. But most of the time if I see a wanted ad for parts, and I have it with no immediate use for it and its not something to hard to replace should I happen need it later on. ,,,,,. I'll just send it with no worries on my end to get anything in return . To me its just most likely collecting dust anyway .

I've sent parts to Forum members and haven't requested or needed anything in return.  It seems that "What goes around, comes around", as I've requested parts in the WANT section and have received several items as "gifts" from members.  I once requested a part and received it, but never received an answer from that member as to what he wanted in return.  As has been said, I'll continue to help people out when I may have the parts they need.

The few trades I've done with people have all worked out very well.

I have enjoyed trading kits and have been able to get rid of stuff that I wasn't going to build, but wondered what others thought about the cost of trading?

I just boxed up a kit and shipped it off via the post office for $7.75 and wondered how places like Tower Hobbies can afford to ship $25 worth of kits and stuff for free and still make money?

I have thought about selling off some of my kits and am worried that with shipping averaging $7-10, how can I expect to make any money if the kit and shipping could be $20-30? How do the people who sell on eBay manage to make money selling with the cost of shipping? 

I have had great luck going to swap meets and unloading kits, but there are only a couple of them around here and I would like to sell more sooner.

I welcome comments and suggestions.

How do you get free shipping?

True Harold but for some donating kits,etc. to others is its own reward knowing there donated items will help make others happy and give them something to do.  I donate kits,etc. to a disabled builders group when I can just to help out but cant do it often and yes it can get expensive. I have also sent others a needed part or two for their project or build....and often in return if I need something and they have one they will send it to me as well.  Trading has to get both parties something they could use or like...some things old or new are not available in other areas and it helps others get things they are looking for.  I am happy to trade with others do it all the time. 

yes. i well remember the brouhaha about the disabled modelers  group a while back.

Harold...Yes there was...just a few trouble makers trying to start drama in a place where were supposed to have fun and share our love of building with others at.  I wont let anything like that stop me from helping anyone when I can or anyone else that wanted to.

Again I want to put in a plug for Mark here. He and I just did a deal this last week that went great. Again thanks Mark.

I've done a few other deals with others here, and each time I've had very good luck. I've also had very good luck buying from others around on the Internet. I buy a lot of stuff off of eBay, and have never really had any major troubles. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Harold...Yes there was...just a few trouble makers trying to start drama in a place where were supposed to have fun and share our love of building with others at.  I wont let anything like that stop me from helping anyone when I can or anyone else that wanted to.

I've traded with Mark without a problem ,hosted pictures of a few of his builds....good person.....good builder. Cant understand why someone would question a ''disabled modelers group''.

How do you get free shipping?

If you mean from Tower Hobbies, go to their website and look under their specials and there will be a code you type in for the free shipping when you place an order. They also will offer cash discounts on orders, like $15 off a $50 order, similar to free shipping.

I guess I'll jump in I've traded a lot on here and this board is full of awsome people in the several years I almost got beat twice and both those people are gone I've made some great trades and friends. I've gave a bunch of stuff for free I've donated kits and traded but anyway you look at it I've enjoyed helping others with their needs. 

Vince

I've traded with Mark without a problem ,hosted pictures of a few of his builds....good person.....good builder. Cant understand why someone would question a ''disabled modelers group''.

in theory it's a swell idea. if i remember correctly the controversy centered around the possibility the donated materials were not finding their way to the intended recipients. or if there even was a group to begin with. speculation on another forum (trak) that it might have been a way for someone to garner personal gain. the whole business soured me on ever possibly participating so now i'll throw stuff away before i will spend money to give it away. YMMV.

Harold... I have about 100 of my own from my dads old collection plus many others to work on or restore from the 60s and 70s era who could ask for better ones to work on..?  If you want to toss out your stuff that is your choice to there yours....I personally have over a 6 year time period donated around 200 kits,supplies,and hours of help and teaching them ways to build that are helpful to them myself I got from garage sales,second hand stores,antique malls,store clearance,etc.and am happy to do so. No one has ever twisted anyone's arm to donate anything...I am doing it all by myself now. I cant help but notice your from the same area the others were from that got banded...?

i thought all of your dad's collection was stolen years ago?

can you honestly claim nothing that was donated for the disabled modelers group has been used in your own hobby projects?

can you honestly claim nothing that was donated for the disabled modelers group has been used in your trading for other parts?

yes, i was southpier, and then changed my user name to detail stymied and got banned because i would not join in lockstep. but at least this time i can go out with a reason.

and i don't believe the three boxes i sent you got used by "the group".

Edited by fog cutter

Okay, I started a topic and it turned into mud slinging by a former member who got banned because of previous toxic posts. 

I will let this stay open unless it continues, in which case it will get deleted.

Learn how to play nice or go play somewhere else.

Edited by mikemodeler

If you mean from Tower Hobbies, go to their website and look under their specials and there will be a code you type in for the free shipping when you place an order. They also will offer cash discounts on orders, like $15 off a $50 order, similar to free shipping.

I've gotten some pretty good deals with those codes. I'm constantly buying paint and other supplies, and those codes save me some serious $$$.:D

in theory it's a swell idea. if i remember correctly the controversy centered around the possibility the donated materials were not finding their way to the intended recipients. or if there even was a group to begin with. speculation on another forum (trak) that it might have been a way for someone to garner personal gain. the whole business soured me on ever possibly participating so now i'll throw stuff away before i will spend money to give it away. YMMV.

I Have to say Mark is a great guy. I have known him before I was on this forum.  Any one on any forum can say anything on an other forum but can it be backed up. I have nothing in this but I do like everyone on the this forum and Mark is a good guy.

Okay, I started a topic and it turned into mud slinging by a former member who got banned because of previous toxic posts. 

I will let this stay open unless it continues, in which case it will get deleted.

Learn how to play nice or go play somewhere else.

Very true Mike..

I live in Thailand and have to pay through the butt for postage. About $30.00 a kit. Some ebay sellers want even more. Then I have the risk that Thailand will charge me import duties on top of that. I have bought  one built $9.00  kit that the seller charged me $40.00 for shipping. Plus the car came in with missing parts. But most sellers on ebay are very good.

I live in Thailand and have to pay through the butt for postage. About $30.00 a kit. Some ebay sellers want even more. Then I have the risk that Thailand will charge me import duties on top of that. I have bought  one built $9.00  kit that the seller charged me $40.00 for shipping. Plus the car came in with missing parts. But most sellers on ebay are very good.

OUCH...!

I am based in South Africa and have done a few trades with forum members. Cost to airmail to USA is approx $16. luckily I have an address in USA that I use to receive my trades. Have only been"burnt" once and not completed a few trades as other forum members have warned me off that member - thx guys ? I am happy to trade kits I won't be using even though shipping is not cheap - not too many model builders here in SA to trade with so would rather kits go to a good home where they are wanted

Each country has its own rates which sometimes skews the fairness in a trade. There is nothing we can do about that. At that point it boils down to the fairness of the trade itself and the strenght of the desire or need. I have occasionally given more than I have received but I wanted the item. eBay, though is all over the map. I've seen one guy on eBay who charges $50 to ship a 1:25 engine.

Each country has its own rates which sometimes skews the fairness in a trade. There is nothing we can do about that. At that point it boils down to the fairness of the trade itself and the strenght of the desire or need. I have occasionally given more than I have received but I wanted the item. eBay, though is all over the map. I've seen one guy on eBay who charges $50 to ship a 1:25 engine.

$50.oo to ship a 1/25th scale engine...???...crazy...greed is sickening to me.  I have made trades where I sent 2 or 3 kits for one in return and was happy to in order to get what I was trading for...it all comes down to a fair trade for both and how much you want what your trying to trade for.  As long as everyone is happy its a good trade.

I think this sums up perfectly why most of us engage in trading! 

Exactly Mike....and I feel that way about it.  We have the opportunity to ether help someone else find something that means something to them and find something we would like or is not available in our own area or theirs.  When we help each other it just makes things much easier for everyone...we all have wish lists or grail kits/models and sometimes we can help another find or acquire what they want and get something back we have been wanting we could not find.  Its about helping each other out if we can.