Model Cars Magazine Forum

The cost of trading kits

I have enjoyed trading kits and have been able to get rid of stuff that I wasn't going to build, but wondered what others thought about the cost of trading?

I just boxed up a kit and shipped it off via the post office for $7.75 and wondered how places like Tower Hobbies can afford to ship $25 worth of kits and stuff for free and still make money?

I have thought about selling off some of my kits and am worried that with shipping averaging $7-10, how can I expect to make any money if the kit and shipping could be $20-30? How do the people who sell on eBay manage to make money selling with the cost of shipping? 

I have had great luck going to swap meets and unloading kits, but there are only a couple of them around here and I would like to sell more sooner.

I welcome comments and suggestions.

On ebay the buyer pays the shipping unless stated free shipping. Sending 1 kit to an address may be $7.75 and to send 3 kits to the same address may be $11.25. Plus if you have a USPS account you get a discount printing your own postage ...

Trading kits has both traders paying to ship so I think it works out evenly. It depends on what you want to get rid of and how badly you want what you are trading for. As far as businesses they get a big discount for ordering in bulk so free shipping is an incentive to get you to order. As the saying goes, nothing in life is free. You are paying for the shipping, it is just built into the cost of the kits and not listed separately. E-Bay has the buyer paying shipping so you have to figure that into the price you pay. It all depends on how much you have in the kit and what you are willing to trade for. I enjoy trading and have found the majority of members here are great traders and I have picked up kits long out of production that I had been looking for in exchange for kits I would never build.

If you think that's bad try being Canadian, Australian, British or the like.

If I do a trade with someone in the States it would cost anywhere between 10 to 20 bucks Canadian,, even more if you need a tracking # 

That's why I very rarely do traded on the board. Not that I wouldn't like to but sometimes it can cost almost as much as just buying the kit locally.

Heck, last time I sent someone on the board here just a set of 1/25 wheels it cost over 12 bucks.

Edited by Can-Con

Some sellers on ebay have also obviously bought collections, or at flea markets, yard sales or estate sales, probably not having paid more that a couple bucks per kit. Buy a kit for a buck, sell it on for $15, buyer pays shipping...not a bad profit.

I came across a couple of kits recently in an 'antiques' store that routinely trade for over $100 on ebay, the asking price here only $50.

Then you've also got people all over the board on ebay, one guy's asking right now $175, for the same kit someone else is asking $17. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've made a couple of good overseas trades, where the other party wanted something that was very rare over there, and I wanted something that was equally hard to find over here. Shipping was reasonable for both of us, everybody wins.

Every deal is different, some not worth doing, some that work out well for both parties.

Cost for Tower Hobbies is right around 50% of what they are selling it for. So if you buy $25.02 worth of product and get it shipped free, Tower Hobbies is not making much money. They are depending on you to splurge a little and spend $50 or more so they can pay their employees and the utility bill.  Obviously, they are getting enough of those $50+ sales on the Free Shipping offer to make it worth their while. They call themselves an Employee-Owned company and that's a good enough excuse to get me to buy there.

"Plus if you have a USPS account you get a discount printing your own postage"

USPS took away the discount for printing your own postage a couple months ago. It costs just as much to ship from home now as it does to take it to the PO and ship. The only thing you save now is time, but you have the added expense of printing.

Depends on what you're looking to sell.  People will pay up for "out-of-production" kits that you can't get anywhere else (think Johan).  Kits that are currently on the shelf in your LHS aren't worth the extra shipping to most.  Just remember that eBay takes a 10% cut on the total sale (including shipping).

If you think that's bad try being Canadian, Australian, British etc

That's why I very rarely do trades on the board. Not that I wouldn't like to but sometimes it can cost almost as much as just buying the kit locally.

Heck, last time I sent someone on the board here just a set of 1/25 wheels it cost over 12 bucks.

If the packet fits through the mail slot, I can send parts to anywhere in the US for less than five bucks. Due to our postal piracy here, it actually costs me more to send anywhere east of the lakehead than it does to most places south of the line. I see that current cost on usps (checked both VA & CA for sample pricing) to send a twenty ounce package first class international is about fifteen bucks, which matches current southbound shipping from here. As there's basically no difference in shipping rates from a fair seller on the big auction site, I'd choose first to do a trade here if suitable  (ie-unavailable from local sources)  B)

mike

Edited by mk11

Unless it is something I really need (want) I won't pay shipping. I can't see paying almost double for a kit I could buy local. I started a facebook page mostly just so some of the local guys could trade or buy kits/parts from other locals. But so far we just BS about model building. 

If the packet fits through the mail slot, I can send parts to anywhere in the US for less than five bucks. Due to our postal piracy here, it actually costs me more to send anywhere east of the lakehead than it does to most places south of the line. I see that current cost on usps (checked both VA & CA for sample pricing) to send a twenty ounce package first class international is about fifteen bucks, which matches current southbound shipping from here. As there's basically no difference in shipping rates from a fair seller on the big auction site, I'd choose first to do a trade here if suitable  (ie-unavailable from local sources)  B)

mike

I'll have to have my wife check to see how much first class with tracking would be to send a regular model size box, properly packaged from here to California when she goes back to work later in the week. She works at a Canada Post outlet in a drugstore. [same work as an "official" Canada Post employee but for 1/2 the pay, don't get me started on that one :angry:

I tried putting the wheels in a bubble envelope and sending them like that but the envelope with contents was too thick to go through the slot in the template they use at the post office. So I put them in a little box.

"Plus if you have a USPS account you get a discount printing your own postage"

USPS took away the discount for printing your own postage a couple months ago. It costs just as much to ship from home now as it does to take it to the PO and ship. The only thing you save now is time, but you have the added expense of printing.

Some are forgetting to factor in the cost of using Paypal. Plus having to wait 7 days for funds. 

I'll have to have my wife check to see how much first class with tracking would be ... to CA...

A kit just sent to the eastern states was fifteen US tracked;  non-tracked is two or three bucks cheaper. Haven't lost one yet... (touch wood) ^_^

mike

big companies, or any companies that ship a lot get special rates. One of my vendors' standard default shipping is 2nd Day Air for $13.95 on literally anything except freight and hazmat shipping. I can order 100lb box of tools and have it in 2 days for $13.95. It depends on the company and what kind of discount they get. 

Im in the Uk so getting anything from the US can be expensive for me, but it varies so much typically on ebay i can pay as low as $15 for a kit, it can be as much as $40!.

As for trades I have no problem if its something we both want, shipping parts is pretty reasonable my end, but as for kits that can get expensive.

I have to agree shipping can cost you a bit depending on where its going to.  I trade a lot because I can get something I want that i cant around here or that is not easy to find.  Its also nice to be able to help another modeler get something that means something to them and get something you wanted in return...helps everyone in the end.

I have to agree shipping can cost you a bit depending on where its going to.  I trade a lot because I can get something I want that i cant around here or that is not easy to find.  Its also nice to be able to help another modeler get something that means something to them and get something you wanted in return...helps everyone in the end.

Mark,

You have stated the reason why I trade kits. I have received some kits that I couldn't find locally but most of the time it is to help another modeler out. I have too many kits and won't get to building them all but if I can swap one of them for something I might build or can use to trade with someone else, then it's all good.

And I believe that last sentence in your statement above was the basis for our last trade! 

My particular (and rather modest) stash, has been limited to kits that I really want to build, so I doubt I'll indulge in too many other trades for a while, as I have little that I'm willing to part with, in the way of vehicle kits anyway.

If I can't find it at Hobby Lobby, then I begin to check on-line dealers, fleabay, Amazon, etc., always shopping for the best price.

As to the OP, price your stuff for what you think is reasonable, let the buyer pay the shipping, and go for it. After the feebay and PayPal fees, you'll still do at least OK.