Model Cars Magazine Forum

ProTouring 1970 Cuda with a 2.4 Turbo 4cyl

Impalow

Finally some studio shots... thanks for looking!

Here is a quick rundown:

• 3d printed Neon SRT4/ PT Cruiser Engine -  the block, head, cam cover, intake plenum and oil pan were 3D printed the rest was scratch-built or machined (only kit parts are alternator, and throttlebody)
  • Full independent suspension from the C5R Kit adapted to the fit tub'ed and massaged cuda chassis plate. Machined shocks and struts.
  • Wheels are Aoshima Work Emotion 18's with custom machined lips. Tires are from the tamiya Porsche 959.  Lips painted with tamiya clear blue.
  • Scratchbuilt roll cage and tube front frame section
  • Smoothed interior tub, reworked dash for Digi-Dash and brake and clutch fluid reservoirs. Resivoirs turned from acrylic rod and filled with tinted future. Clearly Scale ACR seats.
  • Flared fenders from Aoshima hakosuka works kit, molded in, scratchbuilt spoiler, and front air dam.
  • Fully bellypan and diffuser covered in scale motorsports 1/24th scale twill carbon fiber and Alclad polished aluminum
  • Paint is tamiya neutral gray followed by a white pearl mid-coat and then urethane clear. Accents are GunMetal non-buffing metalizer.

For any detailed questions the build log is here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105248-turbo-4cyl-cuda-done-321/?page=1

IMG_9103.jpg

IMG_9104.jpg

IMG_9105.jpg

IMG_9106.jpg

IMG_9109.jpg

IMG_9110.jpg

IMG_9111.jpg

IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

IMG_9123.jpg

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9130.jpg

Edited by Impalow
fixed broken image links...

May I ask how you get the Intercooler so detailed?

Sure!   Its a Scale Production intercooler I picked up at a show, but the fins were pretty bad.. so i sanded them off. Primed and painted with alclad polished aluminum, then I brush painted the center section flat black.  After that was dry I cut a piece of the detail master radiator face panel to size, making sure to keep it very very flat.  I then flooded the black area with future and set the photo etched piece in place. Let that dry and applied a few more coats of future to encapsulate it in there. It was pretty easy and worked better than i expected.  

Here is a link to the detail master photo etched piece:

http://xtremescaledetail.com/component/hikashop/product/52-detail-master-2490-radiator-face-panels

Edited by Impalow

Sure!   Its a Scale Production intercooler I picked up at a show, but the fins were pretty bad.. so i sanded them off. Primed and painted with alclad polished aluminum, then I brush painted the center section flat black.  After that was dry I cut a piece of the detail master radiator face panel to size, making sure to keep it very very flat.  I then flooded the black area with future and set the photo etched piece in place. Let that dry and applied a few more coats of future to encapsulate it in there. It was pretty easy and worked better than i expected.  

Here is a link to the detail master photo etched piece:

http://xtremescaledetail.com/component/hikashop/product/52-detail-master-2490-radiator-face-panels

Thanks so much! I build my own intercoolers but will definitely add the fins like you did! I really appreciate it.

Ive been quietly following the build looking forward to the day it was finished. Its everything I thought the finished product should be. Amazing model in every way and so glad you shared the process with the forum. Outstanding job!