Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 3rd Quarter 2016

gasman

I think the Vette Van is MPC, Dave.

It was but Monogram did something similar by putting a "cap" on the back of the Vette so it looked like a wagon.

I think it was then turned into the '66 "Stingray" TV show car then the "Black Rat" then the stock '66 or '65 and now the Penske race version. Could have been the 4 door "Corvette America" somewhere in there too. ;)

Wouldn't surprise me if the Yenko Nova is a straight reissue...though IIRC it's been less than 5 years since it came out.

Wasn't the Nova a COPO, not a Yenko, but the discussion was that it was closer to a Yenko than a COPO because it had some options a COPO didn't, but the Yenko's did?

Wasn't the Nova a COPO, not a Yenko, but the discussion was that it was closer to a Yenko than a COPO because it had some options a COPO didn't, but the Yenko's did?

There are 3 Nova kits. The Yenko which is just an SS with a BBC and Yenko decals and is not capable of being built as a correct Yenko car OOB. Then the Nova SS with the 350 SBC and drag racing parts, then the "COPO" Nova - which was hashed out around here at the time of release, and determined with relative certainty that there is NO such thing as a '69 COPO Nova to begin with - that included all the missing base line parts to fix the Yenko kit and had the SS parts tossed in so you could (with included decals) make SS 396 Nova out of what was leftover once you made a Yenko out of both kits. 

Edited by niteowl7710

It was but Monogram did something similar by putting a "cap" on the back of the Vette so it looked like a wagon.

I think it was then turned into the '66 "Stingray" TV show car then the "Black Rat" then the stock '66 or '65 and now the Penske race version. Could have been the 4 door "Corvette America" somewhere in there too. ;)

Am I missing something here? The TD California Vette was a third-gen or "shark" car, no way to get any '63-'67 Sting Ray out of it, except maybe the chassis.

Has anyone got an idea about what will be different for the gasser version of the '57 Ford?

Dunno, but I think I want one already! Been wanting to do a '56 Ford gasser on the AMT kit for a couple decades now. Should be able to drop the AMT body right onto whatever kind of "gasser" frame/engine Revell gives us.

Actually, I'd prefer the '56 be a post sedan, if possible. Has anyone yet successfully bashed the Revell '57 sedan top onto the AMT '56 hardtop body? I do NOT care if the doors open, in fact I'll probably glue them shut anyway.

When I was researching these 69 427 Yenko Novas. All 37 Super Novas sold started as L78 396 Novas. 28 of them had the transplanted 427. 9 of them still had the factory L78 396 when sold. No 427 COPO Novas we done at the factory level. All Nova COPOs for 69 were the L78s. Some has SS trim and some did not. Only 9 real 427 Yenko Novas are know to still exist and since they were modified at the dealer they were done more to the customers liking.

No 427 COPO Novas we done at the factory level. All Nova COPOs for 69 were the L78s. Some has SS trim and some did not.

As I recall the only '69 "COPO Novas" involved a heavy-duty Turbo Hydro transmission behind the L78, but you're right, there were no factory 427s.

As I recall the only '69 "COPO Novas" involved a heavy-duty Turbo Hydro transmission behind the L78, but you're right, there were no factory 427s.

You're thinking of the 1968 Fred Gibb / Harrell SS-396 L78 375 with the "specially-calibrated Turbo-Hydramatic 400" which was built to qualify the cars for SS/EA . The only other COPO Nova was the 1970 Yenko Deuce with its 370 hp LT-1 and either a 4-speed or T.H. 400 with Hurst Auto-Stick shifter .

You're thinking of the 1968 Fred Gibb / Harrell SS-396 L78 375 with the "specially-calibrated Turbo-Hydramatic 400" which was built to qualify the cars for SS/EA . The only other COPO Nova was the 1970 Yenko Deuce with its 370 hp LT-1 and either a 4-speed or T.H. 400 with Hurst Auto-Stick shifter .

Indeed I was but I was thinking that was carried over for '69. But if you say not, then not--I'm by no means any kind of expert on that COPO and indeed only learned of it right here a couple months ago. B)

Indeed I was but I was thinking that was carried over for '69. But if you say not, then not--I'm by no means any kind of expert on that COPO and indeed only learned of it right here a couple months ago. B)

I'm by no means an expert on any-thing ! Ha ha ha ! I was hoping that some-one would present an anomaly regarding the COPO Nova !

The only "semi-COPO" '69 Nova that I'm aware of would be the Harrell conversions ( ~10 converted to L72 427 from L78 396 models ) . Apparently , Yenko , Harrell , et al. , wanted G.M. to issue a COPO L72 Nova for '69 , but it was decided that the "little" X-body would be even more dangerous than the 375 hp version already was ( I don't understand that completely , as the F and X bodies were so closely-related ! ) . So , Harrell instead slipped 427 short blocks under the L78's heads and intake ( just like the 1967-1968 427 Camaro was done ) .