Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do you get supplies?

Hey guys, looking for good websites that might have great supplies for scale modeling hobby. I only have hobby lobby where I am at. I am new to this hobby and wanting to know where I can get good supplies for a good price. 

Thank you!

A local hobby shop in your area is your first choice. Don't overlook model railroad shops--they have many useful modeling tools and supplies.

Then check out craft stores such as Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and AC Moore. Don't limit yourself to the "model" aisle. Wander around in those places and find all kinds of amazing things.

Hardware stores, and "home center" places also have some good stuff.

Check out the crafts and "home improvement" sections of Walmart and similar places.

I've found great modeling supplies and tools in drug stores and grocery stores, too. Keep an open mind. A tool or material doesn't have to say MODEL or HOBBY on it to be useful to you.

Thanks Snake... What are supplies you can't live without? I have a good pair of hobby tweezers, sanding sticks, and exact knife. What grit of sand paper do you use for sanding lines and what not? Just curious.

I use only 3M Wetordry, found in hardware stores and auto supply shops. Depending on the exact job at hand, I keep #280, #320, #400, #600, #800, #1000, #1500, and #2000, the last three for things that are getting polished (plastic or paint).

I get sanding sticks and foam sanding blocks at Sally Beauty Supply. Much cheaper than online. Same for tweezers and such.

Look for grits as high as 1500-2000 in the automotive dept. at Wally World. Over that and online is the best resource. I buy 2 part Bondo there, as well as Bondo's glazing putty. I will visit an automotive shop for paint. Car Quest is my only supply anymore for Plastikote T-235 primer. 

I buy sprue cutters at Hobby Lobby. I get them from the beading dept. 

Look around for the mundane, then order the hobby specific supplies online.

G

Almost everything I buy comes from my local hobby shop. Once in a rare while, I'll pick up some things online if the shop's supply line is running low. Recently,  I had to pick up some AMT tire packs, and I went to Model Roundup. About three months ago, I needed some Bare Metal Foil, which I sourced from Sprue Brothers. Those are the only two online shops I do any business with. But like others have said, 90%+ of all my dollars go to the local shop. Typically, if they cannot get something I'll find that online stores are having the same issues. They use the same suppliers.

If I had a local hobby shop again, I would definitely use them.

But being as that's no longer an option, it's either Hobby Lobby or online for me.

I get different things from different places but one of my main "go to's" is "Model Roundup".

Steve                                                                                                         http://www.modelroundup.com

I was buying a lot of things online,...and paying thru the nose, when it came to shipping and exchange rates,...

Now I drive 1 hour and it's all in one shop,..my new NSLHS Dundas Valley Hobbies, and no I don't work there,..although,... I wish I did ..

It's great to have a real hobby shop again

Edited by Belugawrx

Thanks Ace-G! I will check them out... So in this kit I bought I found some sand paper.. It look to me at first like thin films of plastic that would act as a shield when painting.. I realized it was sand paper.. How can I determine what grit they are? One is orange, one black, one white and one red. 

Mega hobby.com, tower hobbies.com and so on.  Your best bet is to Google model car tools and supplies and see what pops up.  Also look at the pictures that get loaded up here and lots of time you will see stuff that other people use and you might just get ideas from that.  I have found out lots of items just from looking a pics.    Don't be afraid of overseas sites also.  If you see something you want, you can always ask someone here and they will be able to verify as to whether or not it is a reliable site.  Go crazy and have fun.  There is and endless supply of tools and paints out there.  Try this site out, it will make your mouth water and your wallet empty:  http://www.michtoy.com/Types-Models.html

Edited by snacktruck67

Thanks Ace-G! I will check them out... So in this kit I bought I found some sand paper.. It look to me at first like thin films of plastic that would act as a shield when painting.. I realized it was sand paper.. How can I determine what grit they are? One is orange, one black, one white and one red. 

Sounds like Testors.

Grab a package. The grits are on the back of the package. Tape a the chart into your toolbox.

Hobby shops, hardware stores, Model Expo and model shows have all supplied me at one point or another, along with Wal-Mart and auto parts stores.

Charlie Larkin

Supplies are where you find them!  Automotive swap meets usually have one or more "body shop supply" tents where you can get automotive wet/dry sandpaper, spot putty, glazing putty, and masking tape.  I'd try the local body shop supply places (or a NAPA store) first for putties and tape though; the flea market/swap meet guys might be selling old stock.  The storefront places do a lot of business and will turn their stock over a lot, making their stock "fresher" than the swap meet stuff.  There will also usually by one or two "cheap tool" tents with all kinds of little tools, putty spreaders, sanding sticks, things like that.  If you have any decent model railroad shows in your area, try those; the better shows will have one or two tool/supply vendors with all kinds of pliers, razor saws, knives, sanding sticks, sheet plastic, and little detail stuff.  IPMS show vendors will usually have similar stuff, if you are lucky someone will have molded plastic rivet or bolt head packages too.  For sheet plastic, check the phone directory and see if you've got any plastics suppliers within reach.  Some of those places have a little storefront where they sell cutoffs and leftovers.  I've got a bunch of sheet plastic in various thicknesses from one place around here.  What they call "cutoffs" or "scraps" are often way bigger (and cheaper) than anything you find at the hobby shop.  Don't forget the hobby shop too, if you are lucky enough to still have one in your area.  

Miatatom, THANK YOU!!!! This is a site I would love to spend time and look at.. I am sure my wife will kill me spending money, but awesome resource.

I can also vouch for HobbyLinc. Last year I relocated from Los Angeles, where I had several great hobby shops close by, to Upstate SC. Where there are none close to me.

Needed to order some Alclad paints, Tamiya lacquer thinner and various arcane stuff.  So I sent a big order to HobbyLinc - something like 20 bottles of paint, 2 thinners...I don't know what all.  I expected they would goof up and miss something, or send me the wrong item.  Nope, everything arrived just a few days later. Nothing missing, no goofs.

I've since ordered from HobbyLinc several times with the same result. Orders always correct and FAST shipping.  They also have great Clearance sales on models.  e.g., the AMT 1/25 Avanti for $11.00, IIRC.

I've also had good luck with MegaHobby. And for that weird foreign stuff that's so hard to find - HobbyLink Japan, Lucky Model, and Tokyo-Hobby, who you can find on eBay.  I see many Japanese vendors charging very high prices + shipping for things like 1/24 Aoshima curbside kits. Tokyo-Hobby usually has the same kits for much less. They also ship very quickly.